DIY Midge Eater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
....appreciating patents and the law etc , this gadget seems to work, just a shame its beyond the pocket of Mr Average. Using its principles which I dont understand is there a legal DIY option??????????

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Oh, I see now. I think what these do is slowly burn the propane, producing heat and CO2, which is a simplified version of a human. Mosquitoes (and I'm guessing midges) use their sense of (smell?) to find a CO2 source, then when they're close enough, they use infrared (heat) vision to pinpoint it.

So theoretically, you could just have a small inefficient pilot light that would produce lots of CO2 and some heat, and then some sort of trap to capture and dispose of the offending critters.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
IIRC they also smell and vector in on the small amounts of methane (no laughing now ;)) given off by by animals including people, as well as the CO2 and the slight increase in humidity in the heat column above our bodies, which is why you see clouds of them congregating above your head during an attack, this is why holding your breath doesn't work :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE