Orange is the New Black

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have noticed over the years if I've not changed by choice ( combined with wisdom gained from losing tools ) on colour selection of tools , I've tried to enhance or connect brightly coloured items to my more critical item tools - ( Knives , Saws , First Aid kits , Match cases , Firesleeves , HeadTorch ) etc .

( I've still however failed to find what I would say is a really good high viz , GITD enhanced Flashlight that I'm happy with but thats a different topic. )

Mr Kirtley has just shared a video on the same topic

So I guess for me there are two things to consider

1) Bright enough to contrast against the natural environment to be able to find in daylight in undergrowth - tends to mean Orange , lime green or yellow, although white can also work quite well.

2) Reflective or GITD elements or gluing a Tritium rod to an item so it can be found easily at night time - either searching by eye in low light conditions or by torchlight.

I thought I would share a few links of stuff and see how others solve this issue?

Very bright - Excellent glow factor - decent length ( Pro and Con )

Same thing but smaller.

Glow in the Dark Tape

Tape - Reflective

More shiny and pretty ornamental adornment.

Tritium Rod

Reflector Keyrings

Firesleeve

Paracord

I've used/use all the above - appreciate alot are from one website but i've no financial vested interest in them.

If I could suggest more makers consider making products in brighter colours , with reflective / tritium rods built in I would really appreciate it.

As mentioned - still haven't found good solutions for Flashlights or Ferrorods.

There is the option of making more high viz fobs yourself of course out of ubiquitous items.

Good discipline of tool use can go a long way to not losing tools but it seems tools can also fall out at the most inconvenient times in the most awkward of places when the light is going down at the end of the day.

How do you avoid losing your kit?

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Those Afterburner rings have been out of stock for ages, I’d like a few of them.
Cyflect tape is very good stuff. I’ve got a couple of markers made of it, one stuck back to back, the other with Velcro hooks on the back. And some orange things, though I’ve yet to get a boat to go with my Mora boat knife. ;)

Torches are one thing that I like to have a glow marker on. The little orange one here glows with (adjustable) aux LEDs for weeks, the larger Convoy has an orange led in the switch housing.

The polycarbonate tritium holders will fracture if dropped. The one in the pic has been glued back together, after waiting until darkness to locate the tritium tube in the car footwell. Better but more expensive are the cages that you can drop the tubes into.

IMG_3003.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Those Afterburner rings have been out of stock for ages, I’d like a few of them.
Cyflect tape is very good stuff. I’ve got a couple of markers made of it, one stuck back to back, the other with Velcro hooks on the back. And some orange things, though I’ve yet to get a boat to go with my Mora boat knife. ;)

Torches are one thing that I like to have a glow marker on. The little orange one here glows with (adjustable) aux LEDs for weeks, the larger Convoy has an orange led in the switch housing.

The polycarbonate tritium holders will fracture if dropped. The one in the pic has been glued back together, after waiting until darkness to fing the tritium tube in the car footwell. Better but more expensive are the cages that you can drop the tubes into.

View attachment 82476

What is this pointing towards the camera?

1694951857937.png

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The problem with titrium is it is so tightly controlled in the US. So will remain a niche thing.

Did read a while back that an newer improved GITD material had been discovered, by doping the Strontium based GITD with Europium and Dysprosium.

Also soon after I get a Acebeam H16 (which does have atleast an orange headband with some reflective printing on) They release a version with an orange anodised body too.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Nice65
Like you I use shackles and screw links a lot.
My car keys are chained to my wallet. The chain runs through a snap shackle (quick release shackle) on my belt. It can run through that loop supplied with my phone bump case when I’m out. I have never once mislaid my car keys for the last 25 years using this equipment.

The vast majority of my kit is old and not coloured. I like the look of those tags.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The problem with titrium is it is so tightly controlled in the US. So will remain a niche thing.

Did read a while back that an newer improved GITD material had been discovered, by doping the Strontium based GITD with Europium and Dysprosium.

Also soon after I get a Acebeam H16 (which does have atleast an orange headband with some reflective printing on) They release a version with an orange anodised body too.
TBH, the Turboglow type stuff stays visible all night, there’s no real need for tritium. The military like it because it never needs exposing to light, in submarines for instance.

Us lot like it because it’s mega cool, and way overthought for our needs. ;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ridgelines and guylines are all orange or green reflective on my kit now. Nearly sawed off my toe getting out of the hammock for a drunken pee years ago and ended up falling into dry brambles. The days of camo everything are gone.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
TBH, the Turboglow type stuff stays visible all night, there’s no real need for tritium. The military like it because it never needs exposing to light, in submarines for instance.

Us lot like it because it’s mega cool, and way overthought for our needs. ;)

Yeah.

Thought look up what the betalights are going for these days.
£90 new.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah.

Thought look up what the betalights are going for these days.
£90 new.
Think I last looked at those back in BB days and there was one on eBay, or maybe even here, for about £50.

Mind you, by the time you’ve bought a machined Ti capsule and a 22mm trit you’re looking at the same money.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As mentioned - still haven't found good solutions for Flashlights or Ferrorods.

Could paint a ferro rod in bright/GITD nail polish.

My Lumintop Tool AA has GITD orings holding the lens in as standard, which glows for a while after it's turned off.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Most, not all, torches have a lanyard hole for attachment of something. Or a braid of paracord outer sleeve can be used.

IMG_1393.jpeg

Most of my users have the aux led glowies in. The Wurkkos TS10 (copper) in my pic in the post above has orange, but the aluminium versions are around £16 and you can choose your aux colour.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have blaze orange paracord and paint on a lot of my kit items.

I am not sure if colour vision changes with age but I’ve noticed I don’t see it that well against leaf litter. A foot square is fine but small bits blend into brown to me now.

Reactions: TeeDee

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I agree, I am fed up with the number of items that are black, that you put down and struggle to find again, and I do think I might have had a fighting chance of spotting my lost compass recently had it not been black. Black for a "survival" compass, I ask you!

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE