What are your favourite pocket knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a rotation on EDC
Spyderco Urban. ( might cry if I lost it)
Rough Ryder Canoe. ( might get another if I lost it )
Rough Ryder Reserve Barback. ( my favourite of the three. Great little knife if a bit pricy for a RR. )
If I could guarantee I wouldn’t lose it I’d give my Trevor Ablett pocketknife a lot more pocket time but I’d be devastated if I lost it & I can’t go & see him to order another one now. It is my favourite legal folder by a country mile.8E8AC5FC-82D0-46BA-BAF0-2386CB9106A2.jpeg8E8AC5FC-82D0-46BA-BAF0-2386CB9106A2.jpeg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If I could guarantee I wouldn’t lose it I’d give my Trevor Ablett pocketknife a lot more pocket time but I’d be devastated if I lost it & I can’t go & see him to order another one now. It is my favourite legal folder by a country mile.
Likewise, My Ablett is a cherished tool and i now only rarely use it around the house.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Likewise, My Ablett is a cherished tool and i now only rarely use it around the house.
I used to live near Trevor’s workshop in Sheffield & eventually had enough spare cash to order that knife. He made it exactly as I wanted it and I’ve always loved it.
Getting tempted with a couple of the new generation of knife makers in Sheffield now too, so may commission a new one in ‘24.
40+ years after I commissioned the one from Trevor.

Reactions: Kepis

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I used for the last years a Victorinox Climber that convinced me.

Because I had to send it to the maker because I managed to bend the scissors, I bought in between the Victorinox Compact that's better for my use, because it has more functions and is nevertheless thinner, nearly as thin as a Spartan.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
One of the best bits of kit I ever bought was a second hand German army issue Taschenmesser, made by Victorinox: knife blade, saw, bottle/tin opener, posidrive and standard 1cm screwdriver heads, and awl.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
These are great knives. I have a Victorinox one and another make as well, I think there were 4 or 5 manufacturers working for the Bundeswehr at various times

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I fitted my SOG Terminus with a Kwik thumb stud and that has made it significantly better. Still takes a bit too much pressure to open in my opinion, but otherwise makes it much more likely to make it into my regular rotation.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I cheaped out and went with an Opinel No8 which I carry regularly. It does everything from kitchen duty to cutting up cardboard to being my favorite steak knife. I run it through a generic ceramic V sharpener and then strop when required, it and it does everything I've asked of it.
I do have another French friction folder I carry quite often, it performs similarly to my Opinel but I can't remember what it's called.
Of course i have a Swiss army knife and a leatherman and a couple of other folders but I carry the Opinel and other friction folder most often.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I too have a Trevor Ablett & wish I bought 5 of them when he was working.

My EDC is a mid sized SAK but I've changed the scales to allow me to include a pen, pin etc.

Like all my EDC now its about simplicity, value and function

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My EDC is a mid sized SAK but I've changed the scales to allow me to include a pen, pin etc.

Like all my EDC now its about simplicity, value and function
Much the same here, i've gone back to a basic SAK for every day tasks, carving im using a TBS EDC Boar or Wildcat. I offloaded loads of shinies (40+) last year as they were just sitting in box not getting used and i didnt see the point in hanging on to them and looking at the box, there might be a few more going out the door this year too.

Reactions: British Red

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Much the same here, i've gone back to a basic SAK for every day tasks, carving im using a TBS EDC Boar or Wildcat. I offloaded loads of shinies (40+) last year as they were just sitting in box not getting used and i didnt see the point in hanging on to them and looking at the box, there might be a few more going out the door this year too.

How do you find the Boar? Did you for a scandi or sabre? I’m eyeing up the scandi version, might get rid of my Viper Dan as I don’t really ever use it, as pretty as it is.

Reactions: British Red

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
How do you find the Boar? Did you for a scandi or sabre? I’m eyeing up the scandi version, might get rid of my Viper Dan as I don’t really ever use it, as pretty as it is.
Love em, i have two Boars a Mk1 with Micarta scales and a Mk2 with Birch scales, both are scandi, I use one of them almost daily and or the Wildcat which gives the choice of two blades on one tool.

Out of the Boars though i prefer the Mk1 (despite it not having a nail nick) as the blade stock is ever so slightly thinner, but they are both superb.

The one thing i've had to do on all three of my TBS folders though is to add a small dab of blue thread lock to the hex nuts as they tend to work a little loose with hard use giving a little sideways movement in the blade, but the thread lock solves the "problem" in an instant.

I'm always on the lookout for a second hand MK3 Boar and the Fox is starting to tickle my fancy too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I ran a Walnut Scandi Boar for a while. A good Bushcraft knife but not ideal for a smallholder.

Reactions: Chris

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Kadushu when it does arrive could you let me know what the Handle width is please, As I have the TBS BOAR Scandi and I'm thinking that the Badger may be a better option for my needs, but I love the Grip of the Boar.
Cheers
Sorry for the late reply, it's 12.5mm or half an inch wide across the back. It's a small knife but very comfortable for its size.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
JE_Stag.jpg
I’ve had literally hundreds over the years .. but this is still my favourite

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE