What are your favourite pocket knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Talking about for daily pocket carry, so folding and sub 3". What do you carry on a daily basis? Do you own any which you thought would be great but end up stashed in the drawer more often than not? I am sure we all have different preferences here when it comes to what we pick up on the day to day, but here are mine:

- Easy enough to hold in large-ish hands
- One handed opener (this is incredibly important to me, otherwise I'd probably have some SAKs in the mix)
- Must be one I want to use and not just look at

From left to right and from newest to oldest purchase:

1. Fox Baby Core
2. Kizer Cat Shark
3. Viper Dan 1
4. Boxer Plus XS (Heinnie)
5. SOG Terminus
6. Spyderco UKPK Drop Point

In terms of which ones I use the most, the order from 'most often carried' to 'least often carried' would be:

1. Fox Baby Core
Thoughts: It is very clearly within legal limits without question. Easy single handed open, nice blade, whilst small it is easy to hold safely and it feels robust enough to be a work horse. I also enjoy the look of it. Very light.

2. Spyderco UKPK Drop Point
Great knife. I bought the Drop Point because the standard one was out of stock, if I'm honest I'd probably prefer the standard. It's still a great knife though, keeps a good edge, large enough to be held safely and comfortably and it doesn't feel too pretty to bash around.

3. Boker Plus XS
This used to be my primary most used knife. It feels like it's built like a tank and shares all the positives of the Spyderco, just slightly heavier. The only thing that has dropped this down the list is the questionable 'how do the police measure blade length', because tip-to-handle this measures in just slightly over 3" and I don't want to risk it, even though the cutting edge is below 3". Shame, as this feels like it's bomb proof and I don't mind putting it to any task.

4. Kizer Cat Shark
A bit too easy to close and a bit too small for my hand. It is well designed in so far as for its size, it's surprisingly easy to hold with larger hands, but it's just *slightly* too small. That combined with the ease with which it folds closed bumps it down the list. I do not mind battering it though.

5. Viper Dan 1
A very nice looking knife and feels well made. I really like owning it, but do not find myself carrying it very often for two main reasons. Firstly, it is a bit too pretty for me to be willing to bash it about the place. Secondly, it is slightly less convenient to open one handed than the knives above. It is doable for sure, but it's a bit more fiddly and because it's so sharp, would not be too difficult to have an accident with.

6. SOG Terminus
This feels pretty bomb proof and I like the look of it, although might be a bit unfriendly looking for the more sensitive people out and about. It feels the least like a 'folding' knife, as in once it's open it is not too easy to fold. Comfortable to hold, looks nice and I have no issues battering it about the place. The only real thing which stops me carrying this is that it needs two hands to open. I might just fit a thumb stud to it, as it'd fall into my more regular daily rotation and probably go up to position 3 or 4 on the list.

What does everyone else have?

Attachments

• 400136970_876326810700690_3254894508340762550_n.jpg
    400136970_876326810700690_3254894508340762550_n.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 400283348_859800848974352_6761832418933158249_n.jpg
    400283348_859800848974352_6761832418933158249_n.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 55

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
At them moment it is the SAK farmer X though sometimes I will carry the original farmer because it is thinner, dunno what has happened to my Spyderco clipitool, it seems to have vanished, I'll have to go turning out all my pocketses to discover where it might have got to. BTW you can open any blade with one hand in an emergency so long as you still have your teeth.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Come rain or shine, for me, it's the Victorinox Farmer X with a little set of tweezers looped into the split ring. Occasionally, I'll take my Casstrom Falt locking knife or my Ben Orford Nomad but I always have the Farmer X with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A Rough Rider Mini Canoe - always
A SAK Huntsman Most of the time
A Rough Rider Canoe - some of the time
A Leatherman Charge (?) - with good reason (normally because I am cycling)

Reactions: Glen22 and Chris

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
SAK Compact - daily, almost.
SAK Climber - out an about in the woods.
Leatherman Wave - working or pretending to work.
Unusual French friction folder - when not carrying the Compact.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Usually a SAK, Farmer Alox, Huntsman or a Boker Tech Tool No 1 or No4 Outdoor. Mostly the Farmer X currently.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Talking about for daily pocket carry

6. SOG Terminus
This feels pretty bomb proof and I like the look of it, although might be a bit unfriendly looking for the more sensitive people out and about. It feels the least like a 'folding' knife, as in once it's open it is not too easy to fold. Comfortable to hold, looks nice and I have no issues battering it about the place. The only real thing which stops me carrying this is that it needs two hands to open. I might just fit a thumb stud to it, as it'd fall into my more regular daily rotation and probably go up to position 3 or 4 on the list.

Have you looked at the SOG Terminus XR? same blade profile, and it's one handed opening. I had one, but sold it to purchase something else, and to be honest I wish I kept it. It was the perfect edc for me.

Now I carry a knockoff leatherman. Its identical to the original in every way, and less than half the price.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
When I’m out in the field - beating, angling, archery shoots, rabbiting, I use my Fällkniven TK4 (3G). All other times I carry a small SAK Classic SD.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Have you looked at the SOG Terminus XR? same blade profile, and it's one handed opening. I had one, but sold it to purchase something else, and to be honest I wish I kept it. It was the perfect edc for me.

Now I carry a knockoff leatherman. Its identical to the original in every way, and less than half the price.

I do really like the look of the XR, but isn’t that a locking knife? That’d rule it out for me for daily carry unfortunately, just on legal grounds. A shame, as locking knives are safer for the user.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
It is a locker. But there's no need to turn your thread into a debate about legalities of edc!

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
When I’m at work (I’m a countryside ranger) I have a leatherman rebar on my belt for dirty/harder jobs and a fallkniven pcx in my pocket for quick access for simple cutting (twine etc).

Outside of work it’s normally a Victorinox pioneer Alox or a Waiter

Reactions: CLEM

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
s
Talking about for daily pocket carry, so folding and sub 3". What do you carry on a daily basis? Do you own any which you thought would be great but end up stashed in the drawer more often than not? I am sure we all have different preferences here when it comes to what we pick up on the day to day, but here are mine:

- Easy enough to hold in large-ish hands
- One handed opener (this is incredibly important to me, otherwise I'd probably have some SAKs in the mix)
- Must be one I want to use and not just look at

From left to right and from newest to oldest purchase:

1. Fox Baby Core
2. Kizer Cat Shark
3. Viper Dan 1
4. Boxer Plus XS (Heinnie)
5. SOG Terminus
6. Spyderco UKPK Drop Point

In terms of which ones I use the most, the order from 'most often carried' to 'least often carried' would be:

1. Fox Baby Core
Thoughts: It is very clearly within legal limits without question. Easy single handed open, nice blade, whilst small it is easy to hold safely and it feels robust enough to be a work horse. I also enjoy the look of it. Very light.

2. Spyderco UKPK Drop Point
Great knife. I bought the Drop Point because the standard one was out of stock, if I'm honest I'd probably prefer the standard. It's still a great knife though, keeps a good edge, large enough to be held safely and comfortably and it doesn't feel too pretty to bash around.

3. Boker Plus XS
This used to be my primary most used knife. It feels like it's built like a tank and shares all the positives of the Spyderco, just slightly heavier. The only thing that has dropped this down the list is the questionable 'how do the police measure blade length', because tip-to-handle this measures in just slightly over 3" and I don't want to risk it, even though the cutting edge is below 3". Shame, as this feels like it's bomb proof and I don't mind putting it to any task.

4. Kizer Cat Shark
A bit too easy to close and a bit too small for my hand. It is well designed in so far as for its size, it's surprisingly easy to hold with larger hands, but it's just *slightly* too small. That combined with the ease with which it folds closed bumps it down the list. I do not mind battering it though.

5. Viper Dan 1
A very nice looking knife and feels well made. I really like owning it, but do not find myself carrying it very often for two main reasons. Firstly, it is a bit too pretty for me to be willing to bash it about the place. Secondly, it is slightly less convenient to open one handed than the knives above. It is doable for sure, but it's a bit more fiddly and because it's so sharp, would not be too difficult to have an accident with.

6. SOG Terminus

swiss army. knife. swiss army champ. I use it about 50 times a day. x

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
1) EDC. SAK Spartan with pin & tiny flat head screw inside the corkscrew. Constantly carried on a lanyard as it’s so light.

1a) EDC bag. Mercury 2, SAK type blade plus reasonable saw, for when I don’t take a folding saw or axe. Shroud cutters fitted to my car bags that are in the centre console, to cut seat belts and break windows.

2) Work when dry. Leatherman PST 2 with streamlight aaa torch that fits in a belt pouch with it.

2a) Work when in the water. Trauma shrears, cutdown kitchen devil in a bit of garden hose and Line cutter.

3) Tod Cutler medieval brass handled folder if doing something “Period” or gardening as I like it for pruning!

I have an Opinel and a Spyderco that were presents but sit in the gift packaging… no specific reason not to like the just everything is covered. I lost my PST 1 year ago and miss that. Wasn’t that great compared to newer version though.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
SAK Ranger is a constant, stands up to pretty much everything I ask of it.

EKA Swede 8 lives in my bag as it's always useful to have a locking blade. It's a solid little work knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE