Orange is the New Black

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
NATO blue works.
I’ve suggested Hi-Viz blue in a factory for the quality people where engineers had orange and H&S had yellow.
(Hi-Viz pink was an option)

Reactions: Minotaur

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me for a minute as it green/blue mix which looks really green to me.
To be fair did you mean the flag colour which is Pantone 280 C very nice darkish blue colour.
No I don’t confuse the NATO blue.

I can see turquoise as quite a strong blue or emerald green. I can change how I see it at will but I can’t be sure which is the right one. It’s partly optic and partly brain, probably caused by a lifetime of being confused.

I was thinking of the NATO helmets, buries and neckerchiefs. They seem a bit lighter than the flag. Very visible.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No I don’t confuse the NATO blue.

I can see turquoise as quite a strong blue or emerald green. I can change how I see it at will but I can’t be sure which is the right one. It’s partly optic and partly brain, probably caused by a lifetime of being confused.

I was thinking of the NATO helmets, buries and neckerchiefs. They seem a bit lighter than the flag. Very visible.
That is a really good colour for an emergency blue.
It is called United Nations Blue and it is Pantone 2925.
It used to be Pantone 279.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Saw a thing on tv about colour. Twenty squares of green were painted on a board. One was fractionally different. Few members of a European group could detect the odd one out. South American forest dwellers not only saw the odd one out as obvious but uniformly detected differences in the “same” greens. (Relative to application of the paint)

The situation was reversed but to a lesser extent when orange was used.

So perhaps orange is the optimal hi-vis here but not everywhere.

I think, if I had a totally free choice I’d choose fluorescent NATO blue. I carry a UV torch anyway.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's not just in the woods that I like bright pink tools (or the forestry standard colours of orange that my Stihl or husky kit comes in). I do it in the workshop too.

My chuck keys, spanners and angle grinder spanners are all painted bright pink so they don't vanish into a world of other small, dark/rusty bits of metal!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
And I replied to your pedantic little posting for why for the majority of us using the forum why your singular USA specific exception could be ignored. You seem to get off in looking into threads and then choosing to post obtuse little counter arguments for nothing more then minute ego points for some vapid unrelated counter argument. Maybe go take inventory of yourself.
Maybe , your equally parochial
and myopic comments on Bushcraft USA are equally pedantic and all the other insults you feel raise your manly man street cred. No, don’t go take your own inventory, just go stuff yourself

Reactions: nigelp

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I don't like orange either! Despite all my stihl gear being orange. I know it doesn't get lost easily, that's why I've gone for a bright pink on my bushcraft stuff. It shows up well, and is instantly recognisable as mine... usualy the only female in the team. :)
Many years ago, I got fed up with my partner always buying me green bushcraft stuff, needing a new water bottle, I complained I didn't want another green one.
The conversation went something like this.
What cour do you want? He asked in surprise.
Ummm, don't realy know,
Make up your mind you can have any colour you want.
(Me being slightly tongue in cheek) ah, in that case, PINK.
Thinking that would be a challenge.
I ended up with a pink bottle, tent, sleeping bag, spork, maglite, pink cammo trousers etc etc.!
It was a very long standing joke, and I now use pink parracord on my tools, though the rest of the pink stuff is now used only for normal camping, or festivals.
I was told orange is only used for gear because game like dear etc doesn't see that color. Not because it is the most visable color for people. So maybe pink is the new black :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I was told orange is only used for gear because game like dear etc doesn't see that color. Not because it is the most visable color for people. So maybe pink is the new black :)
Yeah that could be why they are changing it as pilots see blue better maybe.
I think pink would actually register more to me however I have yet to find a colour guyline which I cannot trip over.
It would be interesting to know if they did something similar in the past like. A lot of outdoor things seem to have red on them.

Reactions: Great egret

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Maybe it’s my secateurs at suppertime. Like others, a bit of insulation tape works wonders. That and I rope and chain stuff to myself.
Secateurs, a very underrated tool.

Feeding bits of dead gorse bush into a Kelly Kettle or just clearing a path of bramble twigs.
Yeah, sometimes a knife does ok but especially the gorse covered in thorns is simpler and faster to pick up, cut and just nicer to use secateurs.
I have some old CK (says Foreign on them so pretty old) that are a pleasure to use.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It's not just in the woods that I like bright pink tools (or the forestry standard colours of orange that my Stihl or husky kit comes in). I do it in the workshop too.

My chuck keys, spanners and angle grinder spanners are all painted bright pink so they don't vanish into a world of other small, dark/rusty bits of metal!
On my corded tools the chuck key, or grinder spanner gets ziptied to the plug end of the cable, means I don't lose it and also ensures that anyone swapping bits or discs over has to pull the plug out to use the key/spanner.

To be fair, I don't go nuts tightening grinder discs up and can usually undo them by hand but I still make sure to pu the plug first.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have some old CK (says Foreign on them so pretty old) that are a pleasure to use.
I was once a horticulturalist (an horticulturalist? I dunno) and still have my Felco3 with its rotating handle but when out and about I use the old pound shop jobs.

IMG_4870.jpegIMG_4874.jpeg

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I love orange ! Both in knives and edc

image.jpg

And drums :biggrin:

7AEB7FF0-A0B2-4A98-9453-FF4CC4BA48A5.jpg

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I have a lot of orange outdoor kit. Mandatory camo on the railway (day job) where orange let's you blend into the crowd :cool: .

Also have quite a bit of orange "bushcraft" stuff purely as a side effect of having quite a bit of Fiskars stuff (good value, works).

Given the choice, I tend to use pink for visibility. Started out as a joke many years ago to stop my track gauge being "borrowed" but it stuck.

Not everything is visibilised tho as I like the traditional aesthetic too. This is not a problem as I am a tad OCD with kit and systematic in how I work, of necessity because I'm the sort of naturally clumsy person who's great at walking into/tripping over things, even in the house. :blackeye:

GC

Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE