Out and about with the Amoc Draumr 5.0

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all and hope this finds you all well,

I posted recently asking if anyone had any experience with the Amok Draumr 5.0 setup and was surprised to see there were no responses. I had expected them to have had a little more of a following but it seems they are less popular than I imagined. I would imagine this is partly due to the price which under normal circumstances wouldn't have normally been on my radar either but for a credit I was due and with Christmas being on the way..

So with the above in mind I decided to pull the trigger and go for the full setup, well full setup minus the little pole things for the foot and head end, so Tarp, inflatable winter mat and hammock.

I decided to go for the standard-length hammock option which was for folk under 180cm. The recommendation was to stick to right the size for your hight as it can affect the balance point and ease of entry/exit. The Winterlite 4 Mat and the camo Tarp.
Hammock

The tarp is a stunning bit of kit and the attention to detail on this and the rest of the kit is second to none. Seams, tensioners etc all incredibly well made. The tarp is also very light weight and packs down to probably less than half of my DD.
Tarp

I did um n arrr when it came to the mat but after reading a few reviews the consensus was that to get the most out of the hammock and especially the seated mode it was essential. I was also due a new mat, one that had a little more depth for these aging injury ridden old bones.. The Amok mat also comes with the valve in the correct place so you can adjust the pressure without having to remove the mat from the hammock.
Mat

I arrived in the woods to some lovely Winter sunshine. I hadn't been out for a couple of months so this was a well needed break.

The whole setup was very quick once I had figured out which way the tarp went and which side I wanted my hammock to face. Which is the Sun rise at this time of year and lovely it was.

iBhu6t9.jpg

With everything setup I tried the various "methods of entry" and ended up favouring the side entry method. Hard to explain and not something I fancied videoing :rolleyes: However after some practice it soon became easy enough to hop in and out. I have been swinging in the trees for many years in several types of hammocks and learning this one was no different.

Once in the lay was very flat as advertised and incredibly comfy, far more than any other Hammock I have tried. I could also side sleep perfectly as also advertised. When in the Hammock there are stash pockets either side which are brilliant. There is also a water bottle holder and the stuff-sack conveniently clips in and can be used as more storage. All very handy indeed. you can just about see them here.

mj47Atu.jpg

So far all comfy, fantastic build and a very small pack weight and size. But by far the best thing about this Hammock is its unique chair feature. You simply pull a strap either side of your shoulders and either side of your thighs and it converts into a chair. The chair is about the most comfy thing I have ever sat on, think gravity chair comfy. All this whilst still in your sleeping bag whilst watching the sun come up brew in hand. All of my hammocks in the past had near zero visibility and no way of sitting up to make a brew and relax. Something which is a must when aches n pains don't let you sleep in anymore and when i wake I like to take my time and enjoy the peace n quiet for a bit.

I will take a few more pictures of the kit its self but these will give you a rough idea. Also a bunch of photos from the weekend.

Cheers all,

LDmg36h.jpg

YIMYsRB.jpg

ibqaBfw.jpg

JdyL26H.jpg

P8t7NhP.jpg

d2r4Zpo.jpg

d2r4Zpo.jpg

aQhvLST.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Lovely trip report and review. I had the original Draumr and found it just a little bit too short. I kitted mine with a Synmat 9 which made the whole setup hugely expensive but wonderfully comfortable. But just being a few inches too short for me, either my feet or head was tucked in too tight so I moved it on.

Getting in and out, you were just like me, but after a few goes I found I could plonk myself in confidently just by sitting down normally. All that putting up and testing sitting down seems to have made you ever so hungry :p

Reactions: dwardo

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a Draumr 3. Being a shorter chap it’s important to centre yourself properly or you can end upside down.

The tarp is my absolute favourite. Extremely well considered design coupled with first rate build quality. it would be perfect if it was a 20% larger.

I have used mine a lot in the UK and in Finland.

Its one weakness is the reliance on the sleeping pad. Getting the pressure right in the pad is important. Plus if the pad fails then the hammock is unusable.

Reactions: nigelp

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely trip report and review. I had the original Draumr and found it just a little bit too short. I kitted mine with a Synmat 9 which made the whole setup hugely expensive but wonderfully comfortable. But just being a few inches too short for me, either my feet or head was tucked in too tight so I moved it on.

Getting in and out, you were just like me, but after a few goes I found I could plonk myself in confidently just by sitting down normally. All that putting up and testing sitting down seems to have made you ever so hungry :p

I could see it being an issue if it wasn't the right size. I was getting used to it by the last day out so can't see it being an issue with a little more practise.

Also yes lots of pans as it was a full Christmas dinner for 7 with all the trimmings. Lots to juggle and pretty sure I have no finger prints left despite wearing welders gloves!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a Draumr 3. Being a shorter chap it’s important to centre yourself properly or you can end upside down.

The tarp is my absolute favourite. Extremely well considered design coupled with first rate build quality. it would be perfect if it was a 20% larger.

I have used mine a lot in the UK and in Finland.

Its one weakness is the reliance on the sleeping pad. Getting the pressure right in the pad is important. Plus if the pad fails then the hammock is unusable.

I found the same with the pad pressure. First night way too hard and wasn't anywhere near as comfy as the second night with much less pressure. The less pressure again when I chair mode.

The latest tarp I believe is about 30% larger after feedback from the community. I think even with that extra 30% I would still prefer to take a larger DD to give it more living space. Time will tell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE