Orange is the New Black

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not a wild camper then Jonathan?

No one is suggesting that we shower our kit over the forest floor.

To suggest that I never mislay or drop the occasional item couldn’t be true of a frequent wild camper. Trouble it WHICH item. From time to time it could be anything.
Great deduction. Obviously if I’ve never used bright kit on expeditions I’ve never wild camped :think3:

I can honestly say that I’ve wild camped in some of the most remote parts of the planet. Frequently. And I’ve never lost anything (apart from a machete blade :aargh: ), and a snake hook down a well in Meru. I’ve had a watch stolen, a knife stolen, and my equipment sent to the wrong continent too.

I know a Member on here that puts orange paracord on loads of his kit. He still loses stuff constantly and finds it on the next trip in his sleeping bag or basha. Not mentioning any names, but a few of us know who he is :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve never used bright orange stuff to prevent losing my gear. I find that kit discipline and not getting drunk at night negates its use. Relying on slapping bright shiny bright colours on your kit makes you lazy and even more prone to losing your kit. Unless you plan on getting squiffy around camp, then it’s a wise choice.
I tend not to add coloured markers, maybe a bright lanyard to a work knife. That saved me buying a new Meadlowlark, and saved a Griptilian that were both being clip carried in chainsaw trousers while struggling through bracken and brambles.

Its also very easy to lose a folding saw while gathering your cut stuff, and I much prefer a sheathed fixed blade Zubat for this reason.

Darkness and looking for stuff in the dark is my main use of markers. If I cant find a torch to see, how am I able to find anything else? Like the emergency wee bottle. Actually even my emergency wee bottle is a glow in the dark Nalgene. Wide mouth obviously :D

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't drink, and my camp is always set out in a particular way, kept neat and tidy. BUT, I still occasionally loose things that I've put down, especially when it's getting dark, so a bright flash of colour from a bit of parracord tied to my kit saves time and stress. It's just practical. Nothing to do with being lazy or drunk thank you very much.
I'm not covered in bright colours unless I'm working in the woods with my stihl gear. That comes as standard bright orange, and is jolly usefull. There is a sensible reason for things to be so coloured.
It's a bit judgemental to insinuate that those who choose to mark their gear are lazy or drunk. It's still, (just about) a free country, and I'll mark my kit anyway I want and not judge others , whether they choose to use marking in their preferred colour, or not. Its a personal choice. That's all. No big deal.
I'd love to have perfect eyesight and be so organised with a pinsharp memory for where I put stuff, with instant recognition that I've dropped something, but unfortunately I'm not, and I don't think I know anyone like that.

i must remember to tie some pink parracord around my legs so i can find myself if i get lost in the woods. :) ;)

Reactions: Pattree

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Maybe it’s a military indoctrination. You just don’t lose stuff as the repercussions are not good.

My first thoughts were you were either military or ocd!
Not all of us like to live by military standards, it doesn't suit me for instance.
We all have different ways, and they are all valid, for that particular person.
No need to criticise other ways though, and cast aspertions. however , if they were made in jest, perhaps a smiley face would have been appropriate, rather than making others feel they were being looked down on.?
There has been too much snipping recently, and that sort of remark might have unintended conciquences.
Stay cool, ....but not icy.... :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My first thoughts were you were either military or ocd!
Not all of us like to live by military standards, it doesn't suit me for instance.
We all have different ways, and they are all valid, for that particular person.
No need to criticise other ways though, and cast aspertions. however , if they were made in jest, perhaps a smiley face would have been appropriate, rather than making others feel they were being looked down on.?
There has been too much snipping recently, and that sort of remark might have unintended conciquences.
Stay cool, ....but not icy.... :)
Don‘t take things so personally.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought that was just called common sense? :dunno:
Ahh, but you have a military background too. And they encourage common sense and personal liability. Or used to at least. I’ve never seen you with orange or brightly coloured kit. Or even remember you losing anything. I remember someone losing his compass on an excercise once. I don’t think he ever lost anything ever again. So it does get indoctrinated into your mindset and stops there for life. Well, so far anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
baby-facepalm.gif

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Who is criticising or casting aspersions. My post does none of that seriously, I’ve been here long enough for folks to know that sarcasm and irony are hugely prevalent. My post was an observation based on experience in a post discussing the merits of bright kit. In fact a few of us were discussing things and people getting lost only last week, which included putting lines to tents and bright paracord guidelines down so that the effects of late night whiskies wouldn’t prevent people from losing their beds. Which was what I was alluding to.

If it works for you then all that’s fine. I don’t need it, or like it, and I think it could encourage complacency. I’m sorry if that opinion doesn’t suit you. Wouldn’t want you leaving for good yet again over something so simple as me not using orange stuff ;) Stay cool. And don’t take things so personally.
Oh for goodness sake, !!! I'm not allowed to have a n opinion of my own??? I wasn't taking umbridge, just saying how it is for me. Am I not allowed to express my opinion without a sarky reply at all now?
Honestly, I just don't know what to say anymore.
I'm confused that you lot can make remarks that are tounge in cheek or whatever, and it's all cool. If I say anything , it's somehow me getting all upset.
It's stupid, and beginning to make me feel unwelcome with your sarky remark about "leaving forever again " it does sound like a "polite" way of saying f off.
That's not how I would speak to someone.
I am so tired of it, I don't seem to have such an effect in my everyday encounters. Why on earth should it happen here. I've not been rude to you. Why be rude to me?
I'm not a bloke, I'm not blokey, I'm not trying to be.
But everytime I try to join in a conversation of late, I get things like this. if I stand up for myself, or express an opinion, things get all nasty. It's very boring.
It used to be interesting and fun here, people got my jokes, now, I'm supposed to be touchy and petulant, or taking things personaly .
I wasn't having a go at you at all.
Just trying to have a conversation.
Foolish me.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I saw this video and I do not like orange thanks to Bear Grylls.
If anyone knows what blue the international orange is being changed to, please speak up?
That said I have taken the idea onboard and am to a certain extent doing what Woody Girl does going forward in that everything will get something so I can find it in the dark.
I am dyslexic so I really try to return things to their appointed place so I do not lose things however it a work in progress always. I am currently trying to find my Trangia so I can change the melt plastic kettle handle cover for silicone straw (Another Blackie Thomas idea). It in the house somewhere!
I am leaning towards reflective paracord so I can keep the blending in going on.
Blackie Thomas uses a lot of oddly coloured paracord to mark his kit so he knows what it is without having to unroll everything and for ridge lines specifically.
I will now go back to watching him and Bear hunt squirrels.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't like orange either! Despite all my stihl gear being orange. I know it doesn't get lost easily, that's why I've gone for a bright pink on my bushcraft stuff. It shows up well, and is instantly recognisable as mine... usualy the only female in the team. :)
Many years ago, I got fed up with my partner always buying me green bushcraft stuff, needing a new water bottle, I complained I didn't want another green one.
The conversation went something like this.
What cour do you want? He asked in surprise.
Ummm, don't realy know,
Make up your mind you can have any colour you want.
(Me being slightly tongue in cheek) ah, in that case, PINK.
Thinking that would be a challenge.
I ended up with a pink bottle, tent, sleeping bag, spork, maglite, pink cammo trousers etc etc.!
It was a very long standing joke, and I now use pink parracord on my tools, though the rest of the pink stuff is now used only for normal camping, or festivals.

Reactions: Minotaur and nigelp

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have a glo ring on my house keys as it makes them easier to find in my bag.

I have a small lime green zip pull attached to my penknife, something to grab when it’s in my pocket and instantly identifies it as mine.

Have looked at GITD paint for items that could get dropped or placed in the dark but haven’t committed yet

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
@JonathanD Nope, not personally into bright coloured kit. Just don’t see the need, however I’ve not watched Paul’s video yet so it would be interesting to hear his reasoning for it. I would think I’m a tidy(ish) person mostly and I guess the more you get out there the more you get an idea of A. What kit you actually need and, B. How to look after it.

@Woody girl Honestly, you shouldn’t look into it so deeply. I think JD was just having a laugh and tbf just put his own opinion into the thread initially. I know it’s difficult sometimes online to gauge what peoples angle is but nobody is picking on you for having an opinion. Least of all JD!

Reactions: Minotaur

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have an ocular blind spot in the exact shape of my cigarette lighter. I light my stove and then it instantly vanishes. Every damn time.

Have a vinyl hanger cap ( https://www.google.com/search?q=Vinyl+Hanger+Caps ) that'll fit on the end of a regular sized bic (not maxi) to have a loop for a lanyard.

Can buy a retractable lighter leash, but the retractable cord reels are a bit naff so ended up with the hanger cap on cord.

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE