Bushcraft Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
risby said:
How do you justify my having to use more care using a sharp knife when the saying has it that it will be safer? Perhaps you'd like to adjust the saying to "A sharper knife is a safer knife unless you cut yourself with it".

The saying is wrong and it's not just me, clumsy oaf that I am; British Blades is awash with postings about how someone has just cut themselves sharpening their axe or latest creation.

Just because something is safer does not prevent one from still having accidents. A blunt knife is less efficient at its task and requires more force to achieve results. The extra force could lead to a nasty accident.

The same can be said for any tool. If it is not properly maintained and up to the task then an accident can happen.

No one is saying you wont ever get cut by a sharp knife but I would prefer a few minor nicks to potentially cutting off a whole finger or impaling my hand/arm/leg when a blunt knife slips or goes to far because of the extra effort being used to get it to do its job.

SiriusB

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
There are a couple of points that support each side of this knife/blunt/sharp argument. Its tricky one. My personal experience with knife handling and seeing other's use them is that when the knife is very nice and sharp people do consciously treat the knife with extra care and respect (as people should treat all knifes anyway, regardless of sharp/blunt) so who am I siding with? No one! Get back on topic! lol.

I think one of my favourite saying's is: "Take only memories, leave only footprints".

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A few of my favorites ....

First a couple by Aristotle
"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous."
and
"Nature does nothing uselessly."

And one from the a Catholic Saint .... Bernard I think it was....its a long time since i was at school
"You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."

Just thinkinga little deep here. sorry.......
:)
Ed

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Wayland said:
:lmao: Just goes to show I should re read my stuff before posting.

Original post edited.

Maybe you should re-read the re-read! the binary for two is 01 as I tried to point out earlier :lmao: :22: :D

Old favourite of my headmaster....."if it´s worth doing, it´s worth doing well!"

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Montivagus said:
Maybe you should re-read the re-read! the binary for two is 01 as I tried to point out earlier :lmao: :22: :D

Old favourite of my headmaster....."if it´s worth doing, it´s worth doing well!"

Nah 01's a steel. :lmao: 10 in binary is 2 in decimal as far as I know, but I'm no mathematician.

Doesn't it go:

Code:
Dec Bin
0 0000
1 0001
2 0010
3 0011
4 0100
5 0101 etc

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
Montivagus said:

Computer Science student here and 10 is 2 in binary. Although technically it should be written 0010 or even 00000010.

You can work out binary numbers like so:
Code:
128  64  32  16  8  4  2  1

0     0    0     0  0   0  1  0

Wherever there is a 1 add the values. The above case is 2 :)

SiriusB

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've collected most of the quotes from this thread and put together this webpage:
Cheers mate..... this thread is going way off topic
For those that DO wish to chat about binary, we do have an other chatter forum here you can use...... :deal:

Here is another classic to add....
"Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple or more direct than does Nature, because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous." ...Leonardo da Vinci...

:D
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Please could people stop attributing quotes’ to the last person they heard say them!

If you don’t know who said it originally then mark the quotes unknown, but i can think of nothing more insulting to the original speaker than to take their words of wisdom and carelessly attribute them to someone else entirely.

Night walker please if you respect the wisdom contained in these words go back thought your posts and either undertake the research to find the original speaker or mark them as unknown, don’t just attribute them to the last TV personality you heard say it.

"Take only photographs; leave only footprints" is usually marked as anonymous but it can be traced back as far as Chief Seattle, a Suquamish Tribe leader in 1854 before it became the motto of the SIERRA CLUB

The quote “you carry Bushcraft in your mind and your muscles” is actually something more like “when you understand how to make fire (by friction) you carry your matches in you mind and in your muscles” said by a western Samoan woman at the end of the ‘Western Samoa’ episode of extreme survival, I will do some more research and get back to you with the exact quote and name.

If anyone has this episode on DVD please have a look

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
SiriusB said:
Computer Science student here and 10 is 2 in binary. Although technically it should be written 0010 or even 00000010.

Code:

SiriusB
your on line too much! ever hear of the woods??

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Nightwalker said:
For goodness sakes.. a thread about Bushcraft Quotes can get mislead onto Binary.. I've seen it all. :(

I've collected most of the quotes from this thread and put together this webpage:

It will be up on google soon for the rest of the world to enjoy. I'll add more to it if more gooden's come up here. Lets hope they do, and not more binary talk. :nono:

It went open for me :confused: :(

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
SiriusB said:

Code:

SiriusB

Since when did we start writing backwards!.......ah.......since we invented binary......I'll get me coat..... and go out and do some bushcrafting. :D

Back to the quotes. here's one for all the in-pub bushcrafters, of which there are many, form Ernest Hemingway

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. " :lmao:

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
There are some wonderful and funny quotes here..wish I could remember them all.

There is a nice bit of text from the 'Tales of an Empty Cabin' by Grey owl which is prehaps alittle off topic but I thought you might like to hear it. For me it sort of sums it all up. Some of the romance and magic is lost reading it from a computer screen but......well, I hope you like it for what it is anyway.

And then comes that hour of rest and quiet contentment, when there is no sound save the light crackle of burning wood and odd murmur of a voice, when all the face of nature is immersed in that brooding calm that comes down like an invisiable curtain with the falling of night. Besides the central fire most every one has settled down to sit and smoke, or sit and talk, or just to sit.
(Grey Owl 'tales of an empty cabin' 1936 p170)

Moko

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Stuart said:
Please could people stop attributing quotes’ to the last person they heard say them!

If you don’t know who said it originally then mark the quotes unknown, but i can think of nothing more insulting to the original speaker than to take their words of wisdom and carelessly attribute them to someone else entirely.

Night walker please if you respect the wisdom contained in these words go back thought your posts and either undertake the research to find the original speaker or mark them as unknown, don’t just attribute them to the last TV personality you heard say it.

"Take only photographs; leave only footprints" is usually marked as anonymous but it can be traced back as far as Chief Seattle, a Suquamish Tribe leader in 1854 before it became the motto of the SIERRA CLUB

The quote “you carry Bushcraft in your mind and your muscles” is actually something more like “when you understand how to make fire (by friction) you carry your matches in you mind and in your muscles” said by a western Samoan woman at the end of the ‘Western Samoa’ episode of extreme survival, I will do some more research and get back to you with the exact quote and name.

In all honesty I am thankful that we have a TV presenters like Ray Mears who keeps alive traditions and sayings from history. As I have pointed out numerous times throughout this thread; Ray Mears does not try to claim these quotes as his own, and will say before the quote "It is often said.." or "It's said.." however as you so rightly pointed out the origins of many of these beautiful sayings and quotes have been lost in the mists of time, some of which no one truly knows their origins. So on that note I am happy that someone popular has the sense to make them heard and keep the wisdom alive. Regards the quotes I have posted here, I am quoting Ray Mears, because he did say them; and he is the only person that I have ever heard them from. I understand he might not be there creator, and he does not try to claim to be, however no one might not know the creator, but im sure thats not the point. When I see a wise quotation, the wisdom & quote means more to me than the name, and im certain the creator would appreciate that 200 years on their wisdom and saying was still alive regardless of whether it was credited to them. Their wisdom will have been passed down through a living, unbroken chain of generations. That is a living part of them, and im sure that is appreciation enough.

Stuart said:
The version I used; "Bushcraft is what you carry in your mind and your muscle." - Ray Mears was not meant to be the fire-by-friction quote. I was trying to inspire that out of one of you :rolleyes: However Ray did say these exact words on his TV episode, which is a nice quote to show that the art of bushcraft is mainly knowledge and skill, something that weighs nothing.

I have heard Ray say the fire-by-friction version of this too, however I dont think he used the word matches. Not 100% sure but I believe he said something like;
"when you can make fire-by-friction, you carry fire in your mind and in your muscles" - Ray Mears

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE