Bushcraft Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Well now that it's got serious..... :bandit:

Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired.
- Richard Kemph

A widely-read man never quotes accurately ... Misquotation is the pride and privilege of the learned.
- Hesketh Pearson

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
andyn said:
Shouldnt you of like misquoted that? :lmao:

If I quoted it correctly it was by sheer accident! :lmao:

Bad bushcraft quotes anyone? :D

Some days I would go without any fire at all, and eat raw frozen meat and melt snow in my mouth for water.
Buffalo Bill

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
night walker i also heard it from ray mears i think it was the four seasons one but im not sure, i wonder who the originating source is im sure someone on here must know
leon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Patria est communis omnium parens. ~ Cicero
Quid rides?...De te fabula narratur. ~ Horace

For those that didn't learn latin in school or that had an education in the classics it would have been nice if you had put in a translation.... So as I did do latin in school, I guess its up to me.... They mean......

Our native land is the common parent of us all. Cicero

Havn't done the second one yet... I'll have to get my books out :( ..... the first one is a classic though

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The second latin quote means

What are you laughing at? The joke's on you. Horace

Though I think you may have mis quoted it... the origional is
Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur - What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke's on you.

Ed

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ed said:
For those that didn't learn latin in school or that had an education in the classics it would have been nice if you had put in a translation.... So as I did do latin in school, I guess its up to me.... They mean......

Our native land is the common parent of us all. Cicero

Havn't done the second one yet... I'll have to get my books out :( ..... the first one is a classic though

Ed
sorry, I guess I was showing off, :lmao:
Ed said:
The second latin quote means

What are you laughing at? The joke's on you. Horace

Though I think you may have mis quoted it... the origional is
Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur - What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke's on you.

Ed
To be punctilious, it actually says.
Why do you laugh? Change but the name, and the story is told of yourself

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Maybe you should correct my other translation.... I was 12 yrs old the last time I did latin..... I just pulled it from an old quotation book I used at the time, it is not my translation.... I never was any good at latin, I just thought it would at least help those that didn't have a clue. You may want to check the orgional quote of your second one, as I may be wrong on that aswell.

Sorry again everyone for the wrong translation.

Ed

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ed said:
Maybe you should correct my other translation.... I was 12 yrs old the last time I did latin..... I just pulled it from an old quotation book I used at the time, it is not my translation.... I never was any good at latin, I just thought it would at least help those that didn't have a clue. You may want to check the orgional quote of your second one, as I may be wrong on that aswell.

Sorry again everyone for the wrong translation.

Ed
nope it's ok, I'm just messing :)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
For those who think they're in a roman forum

parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

The thread is obviously maturing :rolleyes: so it must be time for a bit of John Wayne

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.

Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
:D

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Montivagus said:
Old favorite of my headmaster....."if 'it's worth doing, it's worth doing well!"
And if its not worth doing, get Rimmer to do it.

Sorry someone mentioned Red Dwarf earlier it just reminded me :22: .

sam_acw said:
I've never known wolves to do that. Pixies on the other hand are not to be trusted.
Pixies! Pa! Its elves you got to watch mate :lmao:

Sorry for butchering this quote, I soar it on this forum somewhere but i cant remember where or who posted it. If it was you feel free to correct me.
--The white man makes a big fire and gets warm from gathering wood, the indian makes a small fire and gets warm from that.--

Oh yes and on the knife sharp blunt debate I can honestly say i have never cut myself with a blunt knife, but I always get cut within 12 hours of sharpening any knife. I always think they are getting there own back for being so badly sharpened :eek: .

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Right that's it, I've had to write my own! (See sharp knife blunt knife thread)

"A sharp knike in the hands of a wise man is less dangerous than a blunt knife in the hands of a fool!"

Montivagus :D

Reactions: Nightwalker

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Can't remember where i heard this one but it still makes me laugh.

From a Native Indian up in Canada/The Yukon.

"Back in the Old Days, we paid no taxes and the women did all the work. Then the white man came along and thought he could improve things."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE