Bushcraft Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Millbilly

:lmao:

Alright, alright!

"I learned how much of what we think to be necessary is superfluous; I learned how few things are essential, and how essential those things really are"

Bernard Ferguson, Chindits, Burma 1943

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
millbilly said:
"I learned how much of what we think to be necessary is superfluous; I learned how few things are essential, and how essential those things really are"

Bernard Ferguson, Chindits, Burma 1943

thats one of my favorites, as concise a description Bushcraft as I think is possible.

my other favorite though considerably lengthier quote is a Thoreau classic:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and to be able to give a true account of it"

Henry David Thoreau - (1817 – 1862) - Walden or Life in the Woods

M

Millbilly

Stuart said:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and to be able to give a true account of it"

Henry David Thoreau - (1817 – 1862) - Walden or Life in the Woods

I'd never heard that one, and i like it :)

He's a writer, is he not? I like his outlook, and should probabley seek out some of his books.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Do not mess with the forces of Nature , for thou art small and biodegradable !

:lmao: :lmao:

"If you leave the Christian Bible outside, eventually the wind and the rain will destroy it. My bible IS the wind and the rain."
attributed to an unnamed Native American woman

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
not bushcrafty, but my favorite quote of all time is this;
"outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Two favourites of mine:

Wood is great. You get warm cutting, you get warm stacking it and you get warm burning it.
My Grandad taught me that, don't know how old it is.

There are no problems, only challenges.

I've got a few more now, thanks peoples.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Nightwalker said:
Bushcraft Quotes

I thought we could start a comprehensive list of bushcraft quotes; I'll start with the first one..

"Bushcraft is what you carry in your mind and your muscle." - Ray Mears

There are lots of useful little quotes and aphorisms that help us calibrate our values and sense of place in the world. Here are a few of my favourites.

On leadership: "The tone of the unit comes from the top." R.A.G. Stokes (my old biology teacher)

On self reliance: "Sonny, you kin reckon it dead sure that's something wrong about a thing that don't explain itself; an one explanation's as bad as two mistakes - it don't fool anybody worth speaking of, 'cept yerself. You find the remedy; you can leave other folks put up the excuses." The old transport-rider/prospector 'Rocky', from Jock of the Bushveld, by Sir Percy FitzPatrick
(1907)

On navigation: "Lost? I ain't never bin lost! Powerful confused for a few weeks, maybe ...but never lost!" Some old film (or Grizzly Adams, possibly)

Burnt Ash

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Not exactly a quote but part of a poem by Byron. Also part of my signature.

To sit on rocks, to muse o'er flood and fell,
To slowly trace the forest's shady scene,
Where things that own not man's dominion dwell,
And mortal foot hath ne'er or rarely been;
To climb the trackless mountain all unseen,
With the wild flock that never needs a fold;
Alone o'er steeps and foaming falls to lean;
This is not solitude, 'tis but to hold
Converse with Nature's charms, and view her stores untold.

Pablo

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There are people with some great signatures on here, a lot of which are bushcrafty. Mine is my Dad's only advice on using a penknife (he still says it to this day).
I think there is a LOTR quote i've seen

"Not all who wander are lost"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE