Bushcraft Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think you have missed my point.

if you dont know who said it originally thats fine, say so, just dont publically attribute it to the last TV personality you heard say it.

ray quite rightly makes no claim to these qoutes, dont do so on his behalf

thats how historical records become confused and the original speaker becomes forgotton.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
"Take only photographs; leave only footprints" is usually marked as anonymous but it can be traced back as far as Chief Seattle, a Suquamish Tribe leader in 1854 before it became the motto of the SIERRA CLUB

The quote from Chief Seattle was
'Take only memories leave only footprints'
But like many of the quotes attributed to him these can be contested, like his famous enviromental speech, written down by a man who did not speak Seattle’s Language and not published until 30 years after he was supposed to have said it, there are at least four versions of that speech to my knowledge, all differ in someway.
In one of his attributed speeches a fake Chief Seattle talks about the white man clearing the buffalo from his lands, the buffalo never populated his lands.This has been attributed to the real Chief Seattle in the past. I view a lot of Seattles attributed quotes with scepticism.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thanks Joker.
Stuart said:
I think you have missed my point.
Either that or you never bothered to fully absorb the point of my response. I think I did understand your point loud and clear, and responded with my opinion. We have both voiced our opinions; and let's not fill this thread with public bickering, PM me if you want to continue this discusion.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
The Joker said:
Hey Nightwalker, your link doesn't work for me http://bushcraft.acnetwork.co.uk/ Am I doing some thing wrong :confused:
Hi joker, it works fine for me bud. I doubt your doing anything wrong; all you have to do is click the link! It might be some sort of glitch with your web-browser or computer? :sadwavey: um, I can provide you with this link http://www.acnetwork.co.uk/bushcraft/ that should take you to the exact same webpage. Ed, thanks for letting me know it works for you, this probably indicates its an isolated case to you joker :confused: others access it ok? Let me know if the new link works for you joker.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Nightwalker said:
Hi joker, it works fine for me bud. I doubt your doing anything wrong; all you have to do is click the link! It might be some sort of glitch with your web-browser or computer? :sadwavey: um, I can provide you with this link http://www.acnetwork.co.uk/bushcraft/ that should take you to the exact same webpage. Ed, thanks for letting me know it works for you, this probably indicates its an isolated case to you joker :confused: others access it ok? Let me know if the new link works for you joker.

Nope :( don't worry I am on AOL :lmao: .............Im all ways having probs :confused: ;)

Thanks for ya help though :D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
I hate AOL with a passion. Thats why you probably cant see my page; they know I hate them dearly and have filtered me out :rolleyes: I recommend Tiscali as a cheap broadband provider. I am currently with them for £12 a month, unlimited, 1mbps broadband, modem/kit free, which is superb value if you ask me. Thats off topic :rolleyes: so if u want anymore tech-related info on that just PM me, lol.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Nightwalker said:
I hate AOL with a passion. Thats why you probably cant see my page; they know I hate them dearly and have filtered me out :rolleyes: I recommend Tiscali as a cheap broadband provider. I am currently with them for £12 a month, unlimited, 1mbps broadband, modem/kit free, which is superb value if you ask me. Thats off topic :rolleyes: so if u want anymore tech-related info on that just PM me, lol.

Thanx :You_Rock_

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Here's my favourite. Reminds me of caravanning holidays to Loch Long :umbrella:

The sky grew black and white,
The wind whistled under the door,
"Let us go for a walk", said father.

We set off in a straggly line,
hugging the wall to escape the worst of the effects of the fresh air ...
- Ivor Cutler

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
steve a said:
The quote from Chief Seattle was
'Take only memories leave only footprints'
But like many of the quotes attributed to him these can be contested, like his famous enviromental speech, written down by a man who did not speak Seattle’s Language and not published until 30 years after he was supposed to have said it, there are at least four versions of that speech to my knowledge, all differ in someway.
In one of his attributed speeches a fake Chief Seattle talks about the white man clearing the buffalo from his lands, the buffalo never populated his lands.This has been attributed to the real Chief Seattle in the past. I view a lot of Seattles attributed quotes with scepticism.

Sounds like one best marked as 'unknown'. Though I am sure some will simply prefer to add to the confusion by attributing it to David bellamy or Ray mears.

I once heard an interesting reply to this quote

Mors said that near where he used to live was on of the largest factories for the production of high quality paper supplied to Kodak for printing Photographs.

huge swathes of the beautiful forest which covered the area where cut down to supply this factory with mulch for the production of the photo quality paper.

When environmentalists attacked 'Bushcraft' as being supposedly high impact on the environment stating that you should "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" Mors Kochanski replied with "your photographs are destroying my forest!" everything you do has an impact on our environment somewhere in the world, with Bushcraft I see the impact my life has on the natural world around me directly and so I am very mindful of it, where as your approach puts it out of sight and out of mind, you don’t know or understand the damage your everyday actions do because you are distanced from its effects

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i dont know if its been mentioned before but i like
if you only come outside in the summer you have missed 3 quarters of you life
leon

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Nightwalker, I note your website has this quote

"Light a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life."

which seems rather tasteless amongst all the worthy sentiments there.

I'm guessing that killing tramps by setting light to them is not something many bushcrafters would condone.

Reactions: Montivagus

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
The Joker said:
Nope :( don't worry I am on AOL :lmao: .............Im all ways having probs :confused: ;)

Thanks for ya help though :D
i too am with aol and the link doesnt work for me either
leon

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Stuart said:
I once heard an interesting reply to this quote

Mors said that near where he used to live was on of the largest factories for the production of high quality paper supplied to Kodak for printing Photographs.

huge swathes of the beautiful forest which covered the area where cut down to supply this factory with mulch for the production of the photo quality paper.

When environmentalists attacked 'Bushcraft' as being supposedly high impact on the environment stating that you should "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" Mors Kochanski replied with "your photographs are destroying my forest!" everything you do has an impact on our environment somewhere in the world, with Bushcraft I see the impact my life has on the natural world around me directly and so I am very mindful of it, where as your approach puts it out of sight and out of mind, you don’t know or understand the damage your everyday actions do because you are distanced from its effects
Very interesting stuart. I love photography and never really thought about that in all honestly. Im glad I dont print many of my photos, I have used digital for years and have 12,000 photos. But I do understand running my computer and rechargeable batteries are probably powered by fossil fuels :( I am a big fan of renewable sources of energy, we have the technology to utilise many sources of this, I think governments should go into it big style

leon-b said:
i dont know if its been mentioned before but i like
if you only come outside in the summer you have missed 3 quarters of you life
leon
I've heard this quote! And personally I've only heard it from 1 Ray Mears episode, Im not claiming he is the originating source, I have no idea, however if someone knew who was it would be nice to post!

risby said:
Nightwalker, I note your website has this quote

"Light a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life."

which seems rather tasteless amongst all the worthy sentiments there.

I'm guessing that killing tramps by setting light to them is not something many bushcrafters would condone.
Firstly I do not condone "killing tramps", Secondly I just copied and pasted the quotes put in this thread by other users. Its obviously a joke and all can see that. It is in no way Bushcrafters condoning setting tramps alight! :rolleyes: Get serious bud :p Wisdom in quotes & sayings does not always have to be formal or serious, they can be fun aswell. Just yesterday my girlfriend read down the list of quotes on that page and I must have heard her laughed out loud a gd few times. Ones like; "No ones last words have been 'I wish I'd spent more time in the office" I find comical. Im guessing Its just a jokey variant of "Light a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Teach a man to light a fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." however no one has yet wrote that here. You want me to add that one infront of the mentioned quote and stipulate that one as a bushcraft/joke? I dont want to be sensor mad; I believe in freedom of speech, and I think that people will in no way take that saying seriously and feel inspired to set someone alight :11doh:

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Nightwalker said:
Firstly I do not condone "killing tramps", Secondly I just copied and pasted the quotes put in this thread by other users. Its obviously a joke and all can see that. It is in no way Bushcrafters condoning setting tramps alight! :rolleyes: Get serious bud :p

Ohhh, touchy. All's well if its obviously a joke, I just thought from the crappy syntax that one might not understand what it meant at first glance. "Light a man on fire" good grief.

Nightwalker said:
Im guessing Its just a jokey variant of "Light a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Teach a man to light a fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." however no one has yet wrote that here.

Yes, I've no objection to it (apart from the syntax) in fact I wish more of the quotes were humorous instead of so cringingly worthy.

Nightwalker said:
You want me to add that one infront of the mentioned quote and stipulate that one as a bushcraft/joke?

Not at all, you present it however you wish. I was just trying to be helpful.

Sep 29, 2006
Sunny Devon
SiriusB said:
Computer Science student here and 10 is 2 in binary. Although technically it should be written 0010 or even 00000010.

You can work out binary numbers like so:
Code:
128  64  32  16  8  4  2  1

0     0    0     0  0   0  1  0

Wherever there is a 1 add the values. The above case is 2 :)

SiriusB

So that means there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't....

For a general quote, how about:

Life is what happens to you while you're making plans. (Lennon).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE