Brew kit - what do YOU use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a friend who's wife works at Nestle and I get it from time to time for free but my preference is the condensed milk in a squeeze tube. As well as whitening it also sweetens it perfectly for my taste.

I also add a squeeze to my porridge too.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I take a container of instant coffee, piles of teabags (all different flavours), a tupperware container full of sugar and a couple of pints of milk with me when I go camping usually.

However, I do have a huge container of Tim Horton's ground coffee, so I'm playing around with a few ideas on how to brew it in the woods... not keen on 'cowboy coffee'... don't mind a few bits in my brew, but a layer of mud at the bottom just puts me off.

My lad is a whole other ball game though, he has coffees, teas and hot chocolate drinks that he takes with him... one of his favourite bits of being out in the woods is making a hot drink or boiling up some noodles.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
My wife has bought some of the squeezy condensed milk, brilliant idea Tony thanks!

Does anyone know if 'Camp Coffee' still exists as my old neighbour used to rave about it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
My wife has bought some of the squeezy condensed milk, brilliant idea Tony thanks!

Does anyone know if 'Camp Coffee' still exists as my old neighbour used to rave about it?

Yes it is. It is made from chicory and should not be classed as a coffee in my opinion.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
The story goes that he spread it on bread or toasted bread to take to work, not just make hot drinks with it. Never tried it so can't comment, but at least I can find some. Chicory has a few handy medicinal properties I believe?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the woods I mainly drink ground coffee - and put up with the weight penalty of my filter kit (two part plastic filter with gold plated final filter membrane) which fits inside my billy. I play around with different coffies and enjoy most of them ... but it has to be strong. I also like Acorn "coffee" which I make myself and treat the same as any ground coffee.
The coffee is carried in poly bags inside my "own make" Saami coffee pouches, as is the sugar.
I often take tea and chocolate as well - but these are Rat pack stuff mainly, as is the milk powder.
P2130001.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Call yourselves bushcrafters! Coffee from coffee beans? Shame on you!

You need to gather acorns, shell them, dry out the kernels, grind it all up, put into fine muslin cloth then hang into a fast running stream for a day or so to leach out the excess tannin. Then prepare as per coffee.

Alternatively you could just put a pair of old socks into boiling water - probably tastes better than the acorns:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Call yourselves bushcrafters! Coffee from coffee beans? Shame on you!

You need to gather acorns, shell them, dry out the kernels, grind it all up, put into fine muslin cloth then hang into a fast running stream for a day or so to leach out the excess tannin. Then prepare as per coffee.

Alternatively you could just put a pair of old socks into boiling water - probably tastes better than the acorns:)

But still no caffeine!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On no please no Camp coffee. Even the smell is awfull. Almost as bad as that powdered "coffee" hell that folks used to try and give you in the 70's - Mellow Birds. :eek:
Still see Camp coffee in the shops but thankfully Mellow Birds seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
On no please no Camp coffee. Even the smell is awfull. Almost as bad as that powdered "coffee" hell that folks used to try and give you in the 70's - Mellow Birds. :eek:
Still see Camp coffee in the shops but thankfully Mellow Birds seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

Ok I'll take your warning well on-board! When I finally got around to searching for it online it appears it was made in Scotland in the mid 1800's as the very first 'instant coffee'. Although, from what people are saying here, I take the subtle hint that calling it 'coffee' may have overstepping the mark a tad!!!

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Lmao! One part coffee to 25,000,000,000,000,000 parts water, (add chlorine to improve taste as desired)..

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire

I remember exchanging victuals with the Pitcairn Islanders during a visit. We got papaya, bananas, pineapple and lemons. They got Mellow birds (no one on board would touch the stuff), tea bags, tea leaves, and some other bits and pieces. I don't know if they'd invite us back.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow, I'm surprised that they didn't use you in some island ritual of death for that exchange. Remember being at a cousins birthday party and her birthday cake was a chocolate & coffee one made with camp coffee. I like coffee to drink, but don't like coffee sweets or cake. It was even worse due to the Camp coffee. Being a well brought up loon I was taught to eat what was put in front of me and not complain. Had to force every morsel down. 'Orrible.
Decorum, it's really still made? I thought that Mellow Birds like Nimble bread had been left in the decade that taste forgot.
Still to this day if I get invited to a new house for a visit I'll take tea if offered 'till I know what coffee they drink as I feel black tea is harder to muck up than coffee.
Also when I lived in Seven Oaks I just stopped drinking tea & coffee 'cause the water was so awful that it ruined the best of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE