Brew kit - what do YOU use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Now we all know that the best thing about bushcraft is making a nice cuppa in the woods ;)

But my question to you guys is, what do you use for milk?

I have a brew kit in my car and I also take it out with me on trips. I use Nescafé 3 in 1 thingys because it's easy, just add water! And I'm not a fan of milk powder in my brews!

So what do you carry in your brew kit? Think this could be an interesting thread!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A tin of condensed milk personally. Just scoop it into a Tupperware and tape it up. My steel bottle is my kettle and a little double walled carabiner cup. 3 separate Milbank bags coffee, tea and water. Can't stand instant coffee and prefer leaf tea so it makes sense and they roll up to nothing. As for a stove or burner, I prefer the oldest way, just light a fire! Although I've been known to carry a squat candle to have one early on

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I found the simplest way was to give up milk and sugar in my day to day coffee drinking, so now i do not need to carry milk or sugar :):):)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Condensed milk in a squeeze bottle,

42918011_0_640x640.jpg

Tonyuk

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I don't like powdered or long life milk, I take full fat milk in the 250 ml, if I will need more then the 1/2 litre plastic container size.

This sort of container, the 250 ml is rather tiny and only weighs....... well you know :27:

milk-kids-acorn-dairy262.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Last edited:
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I make my own coffee mix at home in a small zip lock bag (size of a matchbox) one spoon of coffee, 2 of coffee mate and 2 sweeteners. hell of a lot cheaper than the the 3-in-1 packets that you can buy, and the zip lock bag can be reused.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Condensed milk in a squeeze bottle,

42918011_0_640x640.jpg

Tonyuk

+1 for that and it comes in smaller tubes. Many of us 'oldies' here have used the stuff for years, I still remember shops like Blacks and the Scouts selling the tubes in the sixties and seventies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coghlans-...EW-/261911764916?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368, used these for years too, they fill from the bottom end and can be cleaned and reused many many times; also good for things like butter, jam, honey etc.

IMHO the best dried milk by far is
attachment.php

Easy to get these days, local Asian stores, Tesco, Amazon et al and my favorite online Indian grocer
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/cgi-...=ready+meals&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION.x=0&ACTION.y=0 Look at the boil in the bag ready meals, most are 300g veg based (but nothing stopping you adding some meat and rice) and free postage on orders over fifty quid but not extortionate for smaller orders.

Attachments

• 515yllQP0jL._SY300_.jpg
    515yllQP0jL._SY300_.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 484

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I buy the best quality powdered milk I can find and keep it in my kit in a zip lock bag.
As long as you buy a good quality powder its good in tea and coffee.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I buy the best quality powdered milk I can find and keep it in my kit in a zip lock bag.
As long as you buy a good quality powder its good in tea and coffee.

Stamp, what would say was the best powdered milk product then ??? & by that I mean most like milk I've tried several & haven't really found a good one yet unless you count coffee mate.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
+1 for that and it comes in smaller tubes. Many of us 'oldies' here have used the stuff for years, I still remember shops like Blacks and the Scouts selling the tubes in the sixties and seventies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coghlans-...EW-/261911764916?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368, used these for years too, they fill from the bottom end and can be cleaned and reused many many times; also good for things like butter, jam, honey etc.

IMHO the best dried milk by far is
attachment.php

Easy to get these days, local Asian stores, Tesco, Amazon et al and my favorite online Indian grocer
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/cgi-...=ready+meals&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION.x=0&ACTION.y=0 Look at the boil in the bag ready meals, most are 300g veg based (but nothing stopping you adding some meat and rice) and free postage on orders over fifty quid but not extortionate for smaller orders.

I'm going to look out for this, in tesco's you say rik, I will give it a go...

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
"Many of us 'oldies' here have used the stuff for years, I still remember..... is that a title for another thread maybe Rik??? I think it should be...? remember camp chicory coffee then?

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Stamp, what would say was the best powdered milk product then ??? & by that I mean most like milk I've tried several & haven't really found a good one yet unless you count coffee mate.
I just buy the most expensive one in the supermarket :p

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If away from a shop for several days (a very rare occurrence for me these days) I take little cans of evaporated milk but mostly use normal full fat milk in a little fake Sigg type bottle, holds about a quarter of a pint. In winter it keeps fine and in summer I tend not to drink hot drinks. I did go through a stage of drinking lemon tea which don't need it but the novelty wore off.

i think I only use powdered milk in cooking, added o bannock or damper.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE