Kit weight

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
My base weight is 7.2kg:

1st you get rid of stuff you don't need, mostly comfort items and "just in case stuff".
2nd you buy lighter modern version of what's left.
3rd learn few tricks for multi use items, watch "thru hike" documentaries on youtube.
4th join ULTRALIGHT group on reddit to brag about lost pounds off your kit.

Reactions: Van-Wild
D

Deleted member 56886

2nd you buy lighter modern version of what's left.

Can't afford to go out and buy modern ultra light kit. I'm unemployed due to health issues. This is where I struggle with asking for advice " your kit is crap, buy better" really makes me feel inadequate and that u shouldn't be going out because I don't have the latest or best version of something. Or I shouldn't be going out because I'm unemployed, if you can't work you shouldn't do anything else. Sorry for the rant but that's all I got on another forum and I'm just waiting for it to happen here

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Reactions: gg012

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m new here but on other forums we have formed communities. I’m pretty sure that BcUK is the same.
This means that if any of us need help or advice we simply ask for it and as far as is humanly possible it will be given. Just as much as you will give advice whenever you have useful information.
Embarrassment does not come into it. I for one just saw a member of the community using the resource that is the community. There is no fault and there is no judgement.

Have a great time out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The modern ultra light stuff is the easiest way - if you earn good money at a writing desk- but not the best, because it usually isn't durable.

We nowadays have a ultralight hiking fashion on one side and a lot of equipment that's either made for car camping or groups on the other side. What I miss in the internet discussions is the normal classical way to do such things.

You can for example experiment with an alcohol stove that's made out of a coke or beer tin. That is the lightest available stove option and for free. There are videos at YouTube how to make it.

But it surely doesn't work like your existing stuff that looks for me everything else than outdated or crap.

Your main problem or fault is that you try to carry two equipments in one rush, the modern and the classical one.

Your modern one consists of double wall tent and expedition stove, insulation mat and sleeping bag, and on top of that electronics.
Your classical equipment consists of tarp, knife, saw, hatchet, like 150 or 250 years ago.

One is as good as the other and in a canoe one can indeed transport both, why not? But not on the own back, unfortunately.
If you choose one of both you have half the load, roughly said. That's the point!

You indeed listed equipment for two experienced hikers!

Every single member here got some help from the others. We exchange here informations between often very experienced outdoorsmen and a few women as well. And we come here to learn from each other.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Don't be embarrassed, you are on a learning curve, and not sure of things. Makes perfect sense to ask.
Everyone is happy to add their tuppence worth of experience/advice, as we want to see you enjoy things, not suffer. We've most of us been there at some point, and had to work it out for ourselves, not having a forum to ask in the dim distant past... I've been doing this for many years, but still learn tons from others posts, and it's my first port of call for any advice, all day long. We never stop learning.
Looks like you are having a great time. Well done. !
I'm off to the woods tomorrow for the day. Spoon carving club Sunday, Saturday to be spent packing gear for the wilderness gathering for 4 days of hammock camping, fun and learning. Can't wait!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Can't afford to go out and buy modern ultra light kit. I'm unemployed due to health issues. This is where I struggle with asking for advice " your kit is crap, buy better" really makes me feel inadequate and that u shouldn't be going out because I don't have the latest or best version of something. Or I shouldn't be going out because I'm unemployed, if you can't work you shouldn't do anything else. Sorry for the rant but that's all I got on another forum and I'm just waiting for it to happen here

I know that one too. It sucks. Particularly the "you're supposed to be disabled ,you must be a fraud if you get out there and do stuff like that."
But gear will come your way bit by bit. Charity shops have been a great source of stuff for me, (though there has been a drought on this sort of stuff round here of late!)
Make a list of what gear you want to get, and keep an eye on the for sale and swop threads.

Don't listen to the busy bodies who think they know what disability is, they are just spiteful and stupid. I had someone say something to me the other day "don't bother putting a show on for me, I know you are a fraud" cheeky mare! I sweetly asked her when she had qualified as a doctor,?" and "how had she been able to access my medical records?"
Soon shut her up.!!!!!!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I personally travel a lot around with my bushcraft equipment. Additional I carry some kind of robust shopping bag and adhesive film dispensers because my job is to hang up posters for classical concerts in the shops in towns. While doing that I have to look somehow civilised and accordingly I did choose my current equipment. It's nevertheless hunting green and often enough military equipment, but only experts know that immediatly.

Otherwise I would still use my old Wehrmacht and other WW2 stuff and wear leather shorts or knickerbockers like we did it 40 years ago and our boy scout leaders did it already in the twenties of the last century.

I can tell you about the newest and most shiny stuff on the market and I indeed own some of that although my best modern equipment is rather from the nineties, simply because it's still the best.
But I can tell you that I recently bought quite a lot of younger made old WW2 constructions or just a bit younger military items in order to spare my museum stuff, that I sometimes would have to leave alone in a hostel or at a camping site. No reason to leave a Wehrmacht mess kit alone if I can as well use a current one that looks identical and works as good as the old one but costs just a fraction of the value of the historical equipment.

I indeed mostly returned from the current equipment that is discussed in most internet outdoor forums to the most simple looking military surplus equipment, simply because it was already in the thirties or seventies out developed. What came afterwards often is worse than the old stuff. And I am by far not the only one who has this opinion.

Your old equipment was made in the USA and Europe in the best possible way.
Nowadays the most discussed items are very often made in the lightest but also cheapest way in China. Yes, also in China they make quality equipment, of course, but that stuff is usually not discussed in internet forums.

In my opinion it absolutely doesn't matter how old your equipment is and that's for sure not your main problem.

I carried as a leader around 14 kg of WW2 equipment plus food and water, the boy scouts between 10 and 12 kg -- equipment on WW2 level!

The art of packing a rucksack was outdevelloped already 1920. Which items you actually own doesn't matter.

I have given in this forum a lot of equipment recommendations, but I write that for those who have nothing yet. Of course it's sensible to point out the best deals and best constructions.

But I personally could equip myself in every good thrift shop and have quite a lot of fun in the woods. No problem if you know what you have to look for.
And I indeed buy my stuff there, and in military surplus shops, on markets in Germany and France and often take rather that than my also existing high end equipment. The expensive stuff isn't always and everywhere better than the simple things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE

I, and I am sure many others here, have a right Hodge podge of kit accumulated over the years. I have a mix of army surplus bits, IKEA/Lidl finds, chinesium from AliExpress and the odd high end treat. Don't feel embarrassed about what you have, just make the most of it and pay attention to what people are saying about carrying redundant kit. "Two is one and one is none" holds true for critical items but if you plan what you are going to do when you are out you can drop a lot of "just in case" items and save significant weight.

Sent from underground

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The secret is to avoid the exact redundancy but have an overlapping function of items if you enter critical areas far away from an exit option.

I for example carry a compass and an internet independent street navigation system in my smartphone and a wristwatch and know on top of that, that every running water leads downwards somewhere to a human settle point.
That means I have four independent navigation methods with me although I usually just navigate via landmarks and the sun with the wristwatch because this is the easiest option for me in most cases. I don't mean some kind of advanced witch craft but simply the fact that I don't get lost if I can see the sun. I rarely really look at the watch for a more accurate navigation using the full skillset and the smartphone stays usually switched off if I am in the woods and the compass is digged in the rucksack unless the conditions become really challenging.

Or I carry a normal bivvy bag like the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag and a real military poncho that's large enough to cover the entire body and rucksack as a raincoat, lean to shelter or emergency bivvy bag, and apart from high summer conditions a light rain suit. And I put most of my equipment into drybags. And I have a German army closed cell foam folding mat and additional an air mat on top of it.

When I was young I had instead of all that only the German army poncho, that's as robust as heavy but trusty.

Because I am still pretty strong I nowadays prefere the comfort of carrying all that above, but would I get however too weak to carry it all, I would buy a new US army poncho from ORC industries because it's the largest high quality option on the world market but still relatively light and go back to the more survivalist stile and leave all the other stuff at home, especially if going out in friendly weather conditions after finding a promising forecast and if I only go for a couple of days and not too far from civilisation with bead and breakfast offers, bus and railway lines and other exit strategies.
I mean in a worst case scenario I am still able to find or build some kind of a shelter, and can make a big fire if needed. And in most areas in Germany I can just walk until I get to a hotel or bus line and that's it, should I get in an unpleasant situation. Some people die because they left with inadequate equipment in the wrong area but most hikers in Europe carry far too much stuff around although they just play expedition in a horribly crowded country.
If you decide to play survival instead of that you carry next to nothing but still enough of stuff.

And in your special case the best recommendation is to start with a minimalist selection of your existing equipment.

You listed relatively expensive trekking meals so far I understood. Think yourself about if it's sensible for you to buy that instead of going with noodles and dry Aldi tomato soup or whatever and oatmeal and saving the money step by step for a new US army poncho made by ORC industries that would allow you to leave your 3x3 m tarp at home and in friendly weather conditions also your rainsuit if not even your bivvytent. I mean if you see that the weather forecast tells you that you will have 16°C at night and no rain drop at all, the US army poncho is rain protection enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: gg012

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
My changes for a 1 night trip.

Replace the Primus Himalaya +600ml fuel by a gas canister with a build in starter and replace the fire kit by a BIC lighter. You have 2 ways of starting a fire this way.
Leave the spare change clothes at home.
Leave the lEcoflow River 2 256wh powerstation at home.
Bring 1 bowl and 1 mug
Personally, i stopped bringing a camera now that phones are taking pretty good pictures.
Add a first aid kit incl. tick removal for you and Doggo.

D

Deleted member 56886

OK folks, update.

All this kit I'm carrying is because I changed from a swinger ( ahem, that's enough of that ) to a ground dweller. The reason I quit hammocking is because I got a canoe and planned to do canoe camps instead. Being a ground dweller isn't working for me.

Before it used to be hammock, tarp, underquilt sleeping bag, cook kit food and water. Also the obvious knife first aid and usual subjects. Kit never weighed more than 15kg.

Since swapping my kit has almost doubled in weight. So I think to go back to what was is the most sensible way forward. So I'll be selling the bivvy, sleep mats and all the other bunff that I bought to fund the hammock set up.

Also I left camp at 12am, the dog woke me up screaming when I turned the lantern on he had a massive hornet stinging his hip. He wouldn't settle after that so we walked 5 miles home in the pouring rain. Got home at 2 am, and went back for my kit this afternoon. It's over for me this summer, will get the bits of kit I need and start again in the autumn. Autumn and winter are my favourite times of year to get out anyway.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
Much appreciated

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Don't be too keen to get rid of all of it.
You've some good stuff there, all of which has its use.
But it seems that, from your original post, you were taking too much all at once.
I'd keep that tent/bivvy if I were you. Come the inclement weather it will have a use. Or maybe you're somewhere where there's no trees. No, keep that.
Me?
I would move on that hefty stove set up you're using. Yeah, I totally get you had a bad experience with an exploding gas cylinder but you must realise that was a freak accident. Don't let those kinds of experiences dominate you.
I'd also ditch that power station. For the life of me I can't see what you'd need it for.
The axe and tools are worth keeping but only take them if you need them (i.e you need to chop wood).
Nah, don't sell it all.
It's good to have options for different camping experiences.
You have some good kit. Keep the good stuff. Sell the unnecessary stuff.
Just don't take it all with you.

Reactions: Pattree

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I will be taking every bit of advice and implementing it when I get back tomorrow.

To be honest I feel a bit embarrassed having to ask for help, but I'm just not the same as I used to be, finding simplest of things an issue.

The only thing I'm not prepared to shift on is the gas, it may be lightweight and reliable but I hate the stuff, gives me the heebie geebies

Do not be embarrassed, it’s an eminently sensible question and actually I am sure a number of members will benefit from the advice and discussion :)

Reactions: Pattree

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So far I understood, the needed equipment for sleeping on the ground is generally lighter than for sleeping in a hammock if the insulation and robustness of equipment are comparable.

If you use a canoe you can often take with you what you want. 20 kg equipment is nothing for a canoe. Only portages should be considered, but one can go twice or three times if needed.

D

Deleted member 56886

So far I understood, the needed equipment for sleeping on the ground is generally lighter than for sleeping in a hammock if the insulation and robustness of equipment are comparable.

If you use a canoe you can often take with you what you want. 20 kg equipment is nothing for a canoe. Only portages should be considered, but one can go twice or three times if needed.
I get all the ideas, and dreams but then fail to put them into practice. Cant canoe and camp landowners won't give permission, highly prized fishing waters. There always seems to be a rule or regulation to stop me from doing what I would like to. I know it seems like I'm negative and coming up with more problems than solutions, but this is what I have to face. Can only camp on wildcamping sites, most of which are 30+ miles away, so need to hike.
And then I can't canoe and camp, because you wont 't get permission from landowners. In one area anglers throw rocks and stones at you if you paddle past, for ruining their fishing. I will find a way in the end.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
OK folks, update.

All this kit I'm carrying is because I changed from a swinger ( ahem, that's enough of that ) to a ground dweller. The reason I quit hammocking is because I got a canoe and planned to do canoe camps instead. Being a ground dweller isn't working for me.

Before it used to be hammock, tarp, underquilt sleeping bag, cook kit food and water. Also the obvious knife first aid and usual subjects. Kit never weighed more than 15kg.

Since swapping my kit has almost doubled in weight. So I think to go back to what was is the most sensible way forward. So I'll be selling the bivvy, sleep mats and all the other bunff that I bought to fund the hammock set up.

Also I left camp at 12am, the dog woke me up screaming when I turned the lantern on he had a massive hornet stinging his hip. He wouldn't settle after that so we walked 5 miles home in the pouring rain. Got home at 2 am, and went back for my kit this afternoon. It's over for me this summer, will get the bits of kit I need and start again in the autumn. Autumn and winter are my favourite times of year to get out anyway.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
Much appreciated

Sorry to hear about you lil' pup getting stung so bad. Must have been a complete nightmare for you both. Hope pup is OK now.
I find ground dwelling a problem nowadays, and prefer my hammock. It weighs more (for my setup,) than my lightweight tent ,but its so much more comfortable for me .
I took my tent gear for an overnight on the moor in June, all went fine, untill I needed to exit the tent for a midnight nessasary.. forgot it had a walking stick holding it up centrally, and took it out as I got up, collapsing the whole zipped up tent on top of me.
Major claustrophobic few minutes ensued, as I was not bothering with a torch to go do the nessasary as there was a full moon. Oops!
One bad experience does not make it a bust. That's the whole point of shakedown trips like this one. It's part of the learning experience. Don't give up.. you've only given it one go. Try things at least 3 or 4 times with minor adjustments each time till you get it right.
You had a bit of bad luck with the hornet, and it must have been a miserable few hours, but that's what life in the wild can be like now and then.
Get back out there as soon as you can. Try again. You do have more good times than bad, and the bad ones make for good stories when you reflect on them at a later date. .. I've got many many stories of when things went bad! I laugh at them now. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, the Hornets aren't far from extinction. To get attacked by them is as rare as an exploding camping gas can.

I still would say that it doesn't happen, like you don't get hit by a comet.

Reactions: Herman30

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE