Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Correctamondo (as the Fonz said). May be able to use the site loos or have to take a toilet tent (not nice for a trials bike with the back wheel spinning to dig up someones offerings and splatter the bloke following) but we may not have to pay and can have fires and camp over, etc

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sounds good, we could put little traffic cones over where we have been and the motor-crossers could do slalom?! no? lol stick to the porta-loo? good idea. hehehe.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Hi Guys I went out for a spot of Geocaching and took Junior and his friend. Well we just got off the train at Haddiscoe when a photo oppotunity was staring me in the face. "Oy Zach go and stand over there" ("why dad?") Lol

we know why!

100_1781.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just back from a week hol in mid wales!
sunny all week! wow!
almost didn't make it as the car died the day before had to borrow my mums city car!
spent the week next to a highland cattle farm, we could see red kites and honey buzzards from the caravan!
must have seen around 20-40 red kites, and about the same amount of honey buzzards through the week.
did all the local attractions, went to caves, hills etc.
saw a few hawk hunter jets fly past at a few hundred feet! (the red arrows jet).
saw a wild dolphin swim past the beach 20 meters away in New-quay!
had a lovely time.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Nice vid, Globetrotter! Junior looked like he enjoyed it!

Kev, had an idea of a project for you!
how about a pocket hatchet? lol

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Ive just found a nice supply of different types of wood. All good sizes and clean too. Close to Mousehold

The new open Academy

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hi guys, been a while! I was looking for Fungi walks around Norfolk and posted a thread:

Fungi Walks in Norfolk, September 2010

But now i think of it perhaps I should have posted it here!

Hello all!

I found some field mushrooms and puffballs today and thought I'd check to see if there are any fungi walks going on. I found four with google:

26th September
@ Sculthorpe CNR Education & Visitor Centre

24th October
@ Mannington Hall, Near Aylsham

25th October
@ Holt Country Park

28th October
@ Pensthorpe, Fakenham

But I am going back to Uni soon and was hoping to find any earlier! Does anybody know if there are any fungi walks in Norfolk soon?

Or, if anybody is knowledgeable about fungi and in Norfolk perhaps we could do organise our own?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Harry

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Kev, had an idea of a project for you!
how about a pocket hatchet? lol

There's a thought. Got a few other bits to do first. Some reenactment boys piqued my interest with how much they pay for plain Gypsy Irons (a 4 foot plain one at £65 (£78 with postage) is what they've been paying ( bolted at the top, as its just straight rebar with a 90º bend on the top)). :yikes:

May be playing with scrolls and twists for a while on some 3 foot and 6 foot twisted and scrolled, or eyed, so the bars are all joined together and fold up for transport better.
Like this

100_0939.jpg

not this

rebarpoorgypsyirons.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/roman-onwards...Collectables_Ethnographic&hash=item3cb02993e0

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I thought you might be interested in the review I posted for the Knives I brought with me to the last meet. Here goes:

Re: condor bushcrafters and woodlores?
Ok. I took both the knives to the Norfolk and Norwich Bushcraft meet so I could get a good, impartial review on them.
A couple of makers - assemblers- were there and I said nothing about them only someone wanted an honest opinion on them.
The leather work was excellent. A good fit for both knives - even if both sheaths were left handed - intentional or unnoticed?
Firstly both blades were very blunt. We had a Lansky system (taken by me) and another field sharpening system and the good old DS3. The Woodlore was very thick and had a convex edge to it. Even when stropped (not re-ground at all as we didn't want to upset the grind) it was virtually impossible to feather with, whittle, or carve. It did fit my big hands though. With a re-grind to the blade I believe I could use it as an everyday knife. It needed approximately another 2cm adding to the grind profile and making it a scandi grind for me.
The Nessmuk was a different story. Felt good in the hand and stropping gave a good edge. It was felt by all that it would make a good skinner and game prep knife.
The finish on both knifes was pretty poor. Glue was visible and the scales were not symmetrical. The pins were also a little proud. It may be nit picking but this was set up as an honest review. (I did notice in one of the reviews about re-handling them). It was felt that they looked like seconds or a test piece that hadn't been finished well enough, just as an evaluation pre-production piece.
The majority of the group felt the bushlore was way too heavy and the blade was too thick. It was not even that good at battening, even though with the grind it should have made an excellent splitter.
I left them "on show" for the whole of the 3 day meet and the group chose to use other equipment even though I said they were there to be used (but not abused). (I still preferred to use by Mora clipper for battening and spoon carving instruction).
We didn't snare any bunny's so couldn't try the Nessmuk at game preparation and skin scraping, although it was a unanimous decision that it would have performed well.

Sorry if the review offends anyone but we was asked for an honest evaluation, and I try not to "sugar coat it"
To sum up I would be happy to own them but would have to re-grind the bushlore. Hope it helps

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
4 O'CLOCK in the morning Kev?
are you well?

Biddlesby, cheers for the info!
Craeg, nice bag!
Welcome back guys! not seen you two around for a long time!

BTW Biddlesby can you bring along your Hand drill gear some time, I need to learn it properly!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE