Loch Tay meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Preferred date for a Meet up at The Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.

• 26th to 29th October 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2nd to 5th November 2007

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 9th to 12th November 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 16th to 19th November 2007

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 23rd to 26th November 2007

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 30th November to 3rd December 2007

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Looks like a fiver for trout permits. Probably free for course fishing but I'll never understand how folk can bring themselves to chuck a trout back in if they catch one by accident.

I've been trying to get my head round the different permits in Scotland with regards to fly fishing, coarse fishing (i.e hook and bait) and spinning (i.e lures/spinners).

That particular permit page says 'Any legal lure permitted' - what counts as a legal lure? Is this just fly, or does it include spinning? And what fish can/can't you catch and keep with coarse fishing methods?

I'd like to do some fishing, but perhaps not fly fishing - spent an hour untangling lines last time someone tried to teach me! :eek:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Still pretty much a mystery to me too. "Any legal lure" I take to include spinning, if it's fly only they usually make a point of telling you. Loch Ard went fly only a couple of years ago and it was mentioned on web sites, printed on the permits and there was a notice in the shop that issued them.

I hardly ever fish inland, mostly sea lochs where things are much more relaxed. Don't even know the names of some of the stuff I've eaten in the last couple of years, if it bites it ends up over the fire.:)

[Edit - Hmm, theres a point. Fishing season closes before the meet]

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hadn't noticed this further down the permit page:

Coarse and Grayling Fishing
Grayling are not present in the loch, however you will find pike, charr and eels. Permits available at same price as for trout during trout season.

Yeah, we'll just hit the post office and see what we end up with. The permits will probably say on them what the score is.

Don't hold your breath though, anglers are always going on about canoes scaring fishies.
They could be right too, this lot had a worried look about them.:D

6.jpg

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Russ, if you can get away for even a day over the weekend I'll happily nip down to Perth and pick you up

cheers,
Toddy

well Ive just been thinking Pitlochry is nearer 30 minutes away could be at Pitlochry for Fri 8pm if some kind soul could give me a lift to the meet from there at least id get an over night er out :eek:
Id need to be back in Pitlochry for 7:40 ish on the Saturday
:eek:

:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes: I'm presuming that that is 7.40 am ? :D

If tomtom can get a fix on the station I don't mind picking you up and getting you back there.

If someone else is passing though that could work out too. We've got time to sort things out.

cheers,
Mary

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dang it, you sound like your having fun!

if anyone could give me a lift up from the barren southlands Ill see about getting time off.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Anyone coming up past Durham? I no longer have my van, in fact I don't have transport of any sort right now. I could pack the rucksack and get the bus up to Edinburgh, then Perth, then Aberfeldy and walk from there but I wouldn't be able to bring any stuff. I was hoping to do green woodcraft demos and let people have a go, and leathercraft tooling/flask making and such but can't carry any of it.

I missed the last one and will be truly gutted if I can't make this one and most of you know the kind of stuff I like to show people, so bussing it up with a backpack kind of defeats the objective.

Anyone any ideas how I can get round this one? I'm also strapped for cash right now so hiring a van is out of the question.

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id love to help eric, but the fuel bill for a round trip frightens me, just haft that is scary enough

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'd hope to go on the 16th-19th, but may have to go back on the Sunday evening. Can give a lift from Edinburgh...

hows about you, gregorach and me share a motor? i was going to take mine with g but swmbo might want it when I'm away...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm giving a lift to Match and I'm waiting to hear if Eric is coming up to Edinburgh as well, so we might be cramped, but it should be ok.. Unless we've got a lot of gear then 2 cars may work out better.

S

Sneaky

I'm new to the forum, or at least in terms of actual activity. Don't suppose anyone could help me get to this event? Or suggest how I could if not. Am without transport :( but would love to at some point go to one of these, if not this one, when do you next imagine another will be?

*eager-eager-eager*

xxx

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm giving a lift to Match and I'm waiting to hear if Eric is coming up to Edinburgh as well, so we might be cramped, but it should be ok.. Unless we've got a lot of gear then 2 cars may work out better.

nae bother, swmbo has consented to my use of the motor that weekend so me and dunc will come up in that. we'll be staying over Friday night and Saturday night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE