The hermit of Loch Treig

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2022
United states
Hello, if you have read my previous post, you know what my intentions are. Recently, I heard about a man who is called the hermit of loch treig which is exactly what I am trying to do. My question (which I can't find info online about) is does he own that land? How has he been permitted to build a cabin and hunt? I plan on doing the same thing but many people have discouraged me for various reasons, one of this biggest being that every piece of land is owned. Can someone please share how he did this? Sited information will be much appreciated

EDIT:

Can anyone give me some advice how one can get permission to build a cabin on someone's land to live like this? I know doing it on my own could end very badly by getting kicked off and maybe even arrested

Last edited:
Reactions: Poacherman

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
I watched that documentary too. I don’t think he did own it. I think he got permission.

There’s a bit in the article saying the head stalker from the estate brought him meals once he took unwell. Which suggests to me there was an owner and staff.

I suspect he was noticed eventually, and tolerated… that might happen again, but remember he started 40 years ago so I don’t know if they would “let it go” like that these days.

I’d be interested to know if his cabin is still there, even if he has had to give it up for health reasons.

Reactions: Mhearadh.macleod
Oct 15, 2022
United states
I watched that documentary too. I don’t think he did own it. I think he got permission.

There’s a bit in the article saying the head stalker from the estate brought him meals once he took unwell. Which suggests to me there was an owner and staff.

I suspect he was noticed eventually, and tolerated… that might happen again, but remember he started 40 years ago so I don’t know if they would “let it go” like that these days.

I’d be interested to know if his cabin is still there, even if he has had to give it up for health reasons.
I am actually trying to find a way to get permission from someone somehow. I know doing it on my own could end very badly by getting kicked off and maybe even arrested

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
The other important piece of information the OP may wish to take from this in his quest to make do on his own without anyone knowing he's there is that despite the hermit was living in a remote location it seems every bugger seems to know he was there!
And that's looking aside the fact he had to rely on other's support.
Take note and learn.
The sorry fact is, that Scotland isn't the place Hollywood and the Scottish Tourist Board have led you to believe.
Regrettably.

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
Why not go and ask him? Reading the article again it sounds like he is still there, in spite of having to be airlifted out a couple of times.

More seriously, I think you would probably need to spend a lot of time getting to know a landowner and build up a relationship of trust with them before they would consider something like that.

I doubt there is a shortcut. 40 years ago he probably built without permission, and got away with it.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Traditionally many people have looked on such people favourably, even turning a blind eye.
My town growing up had a tramp that slept in the old cricket pavilion, even the M4 in Chiswick had a bloke living under the overpass for years.

But times change, people are more wary, especially of a younger male it feels.

Realistically the only way to get permission is to find a landowner and ask. If you can find someone less able you may be able to offer up your services clearing wood or keeping the deer at bay.

Expect a lot of rejection though.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Had a look on Canmore.

Railway down one side; actually its a reservoir...might not be as unspoilt as you might imagine.

But not many antiquities...Im wondering, if that is an artefact of study...like in the so-say uninhabited Cairngorms.

But do come and explore Scotland, just dont look like a refugee from Outlander...They can spot you a mile off. Im sure you will love it when you take your rose tinted spectacles off.

You can come and visit me on Loch Tay.

Oct 15, 2022
United states
Had a look on Canmore.

Railway down one side; actually its a reservoir...might not be as unspoilt as you might imagine.

But not many antiquities...Im wondering, if that is an artefact of study...like in the so-say uninhabited Cairngorms.

But do come and explore Scotland, just dont look like a refugee from Outlander...They can spot you a mile off. Im sure you will love it when you take your rose tinted spectacles off.

I do dress in medieval garb 7 days a week but that is just because it makes me happy and has nothing to due with a tv series haha

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cant find it.

I know it is in the book `Punch, on Scotland`

Its a cartoon of four guys, two pairs, one in trews and the other in kilts.

And they are staring at each other.

The caption is `Look, visitors` or summat.

And the reader is left to guess which are the visitors...

(Anyone seen this?)

Reactions: Toddy
Oct 15, 2022
United states
Had a look on Canmore.

Got any photos.?
I do mate but considering my plans and what I may have to do like the gent in the 80s, I prefer not to show my face. Worst case scenario is I build myself a log cabin like he did, keep my head down and shut up. If no one knows about you like him, no one can stop you

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm so sorry you feel some of us are trying to discourage you, but we are giving you real facts. The fact that they don't realy seem to tie in with your dreams and aspirations as you might wish is the reality.
It realy is a tiny country compared to the USA, and we have 80 million people living in the British Isles. I don't know where you are living in the States presently, but you can pretty much drive across Scotland in a day or less, depending on where from and where to. The hills and mountains are busy with walkers. There are millions of visitors every year from other parts of the UK and abroad. It realy is a massive challenge you have set yourself to disappear into the wild and live as you wish in modern Scotland. It's not the 14th century anymore, and things have moved on a lot. Not saying this to put you off at all. Just think that you need to realise that it may not be possible to do what you want in the way you want, and we don't want you to be another statistic like the afor mentioned lad, or end up disappointed.
It's a wonderful dream, and it would be wonderful if you could achieve it, but real life might just bring you down with a huge bump. Be prepared for that. Otherwise, do come and see for yourself, and know that we are realy trying to help you with true facts, rather than romantic dreams.
Seems you have a pretty good set up where you are. You say you have some land to escape to and farm. That's more than many of us have. Remember, this country is teetering badly too, sadly, massive inflation, homelessness, fuel poverty, hunger, and food banks are becoming a reality here too, for many who were not struggling so badly a couple of years ago.
I wish you luck, and would be proud of you if you managed to find your dream. But please do not ignore reality.

Oct 15, 2022
United states
I'm so sorry you feel some of us are trying to discourage you, but we are giving you real facts. The fact that they don't realy seem to tie in with your dreams and aspirations as you might wish is the reality.
It realy is a tiny country compared to the USA, and we have 80 million people living in the British Isles. I don't know where you are living in the States presently, but you can pretty much drive across Scotland in a day or less, depending on where from and where to. The hills and mountains are busy with walkers. There are millions of visitors every year from other parts of the UK and abroad. It realy is a massive challenge you have set yourself to disappear into the wild and live as you wish in modern Scotland. It's not the 14th century anymore, and things have moved on a lot. Not saying this to put you off at all. Just think that you need to realise that it may not be possible to do what you want in the way you want, and we don't want you to be another statistic like the afor mentioned lad, or end up disappointed.
It's a wonderful dream, and it would be wonderful if you could achieve it, but real life might just bring you down with a huge bump. Be prepared for that. Otherwise, do come and see for yourself, and know that we are realy trying to help you with true facts, rather than romantic dreams.
Seems you have a pretty good set up where you are. You say you have some land to escape to and farm. That's more than many of us have. Remember, this country is teetering badly too, sadly, massive inflation, homelessness, fuel poverty, hunger, and food banks are becoming a reality here too, for many who were not struggling so badly a couple of years ago.
I wish you luck, and would be proud of you if you managed to find your dream. But please do not ignore reality.
I fully respect your advice and appreciate it, I guess for me is I am just having trouble grasping what everyone says. The gentleman in Loch Treig who lives as a hermit has spent so much of his life in isolation. How can this be if there are people everywhere? This is supposedly the most isolated place in all of Britain. Once again, I am not saying I am right or he is but I am trying to figure this out because it doesn't make sense to my autist brain.

Edit:

Also if I was to copy and paste what he did by building a cabin/small homestead out there (IF it really is as isolated as he says) no one would know and I wouldn't be doing anything to bad. He said he even hunts down there

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
You can live in isolation anywhere if you choose not to interact with people.
You can be surrounded by people but still be alone, if that’s what you want.

Worth noting that the loch hermit is wearing an arktis smock, about £200 worth. So there must be some interaction.

People here are trying to point out the potential pitfalls and problems you may face rather than discouraging you just to be mean.

If you have money buy some land and live how you want.

If you decide to turn up and build on someone else’s land be prepared for some challenges.

Ultimately it’s your call, maybe get over for a trip and see if it really is feasible?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I do mate but considering my plans and what I may have to do like the gent in the 80s, I prefer not to show my face. Worst case scenario is I build myself a log cabin like he did, keep my head down and shut up. If no one knows about you like him, no one can stop you

Just interested in the period dress, blank your features out if you want.

Reactions: Poacherman
Oct 15, 2022
United states
You can live in isolation anywhere if you choose not to interact with people.
You can be surrounded by people but still be alone, if that’s what you want.

Worth noting that the loch hermit is wearing an arktis smock, about £200 worth. So there must be some interaction.

People here are trying to point out the potential pitfalls and problems you may face rather than discouraging you just to be mean.

If you have money buy some land and live how you want.

If you decide to turn up and build on someone else’s land be prepared for some challenges.

Ultimately it’s your call, maybe get over for a trip and see if it really is feasible?
Thanks mate, I really appreciate this and you are right. I can say that I am truly grateful for this group because this is the first time in a long time I have been taken seriously and have not been bullied. I really do appreciate this. Thank you and everyone else who has guided me

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The gentleman in Loch Treig who lives as a hermit has spent so much of his life in isolation. How can this be if there are people everywhere? This is supposedly the most isolated place in all of Britain. Once again, I am not saying I am right or he is but I am trying to figure this out because it doesn't make sense to my autist brain.
He has lived in isolation but he hasn't lived totally out of human contact. The estate staff has known for a very long time he's been living there and perform regular welfare checks on him. He lives there because he's allowed to by the landowner.

You seem to be fixating on Scotland having rolling expanses of wilderness and people are trying to tell you this isn't the reality of it. Even the gentleman who lives on Loch Treig is just a under a 90 minute drive from Fort William which is the closest large town to him and there's numerous small villages closer to him.

Compare that to the likes of Maine which is a comparable size to Scotland. It has a population of approximately a fifth of what Scotland has and you can truly live an isolated life there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE