Loch Tay meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Preferred date for a Meet up at The Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.

• 26th to 29th October 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2nd to 5th November 2007

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 9th to 12th November 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 16th to 19th November 2007

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 23rd to 26th November 2007

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 30th November to 3rd December 2007

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
a good one for veggies would be a large pumpkin (i might be able to help out there) - cut in to wedges and roasted in tin foil on the fire....

might be better to get a consensus on the site and then nip into aberfeldy on saturday afternoon with a shopping list (coinciding nicely with the scotland, italy game :rolleyes: ). the food fayre at the crannog might offer some good supplies too???

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

Anything I can do to help? I'm feeling like a spare axe at a lumberjack convention at the moment! :D

Planning to be up there as early as possible on the Friday evening, leaving on the Sunday evening, if anyone needs transport or wants something transported I've got a bit of a monster truck with a roof rack so can help there. Can pick up kit prior to the weekend within about 30 miles of Falkirk or any people that need a lift up that are enroute(ish). Doc, you needing transport for that archery target?

I'll even volunteer to help peel the tatties and clean the pots (if no-one tells SWMBO!)

Eric, sign me up for your leathercraft demo, it's something I've been wanting to try for a while but have no idea where to start.

Cheers,

Alan

PS Locum I've got a teeny wee telly (like 2") that works on AAs if you want a borrow although reception may be poor

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Matt, was wondering if you have any sealskin left? I could do with a few more wee patches(offcuts? - couple of inches square).

While I'm on the hustle, if anyone has an old sheepskin to spare I'm after one to line a back quiver. Would be trimming down the wool to about half an inch and it seems daft to trash a new one.

Just thought I'd ask, can trade for... - I dunno - stuff:).

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
The gods looked down, smiled, and said "ye shall have the weekend off":D :D :D . Yay, count me in.

As long as nothing else falls off the car between now and then that is:eek:

Sometimes I wish I would learn to keep my mouth shut.:tapedshut
Just got the exhaust sorted and now the radiator support plate needs sorting.:banghead: Looks like I'm going to be side-lined but I'll drop the tarp over to you, Mary. I hope everyone enjoys the meet as much as Iain and I enjoyed the last one. I hope some one's going to be taking pictures.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Matt, was wondering if you have any sealskin left? I could do with a few more wee patches(offcuts? - couple of inches square).

While I'm on the hustle, if anyone has an old sheepskin to spare I'm after one to line a back quiver. Would be trimming down the wool to about half an inch and it seems daft to trash a new one.

Just thought I'd ask, can trade for... - I dunno - stuff:).

Josh, somewhere I have the trimmings from the organic tannery sheepskins at Carradale, you're welcome to them. I also have the offcuts from the (real) fleece rugs, the kind that are made from fleece woven through a mesh and bonded so they're washable. You're welcome to them. I had thought to use them for insoles for courrans but never got around to it.
Does anyone want to make courrans? I can find templates for male or female from a size 3 to a size 10 or so, and the patterns are easily adjustable.

Rob, that's a real pain :( Maybe you'll find a way.

cheers,
Mary

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Trimmings would do nicely and skin would be best, can just hide glue it in where I want it. Cheers.

I'd love to make courrans. Even just cut out the material and see someone make a pair. Could finish them at home, I tend to do that a lot after meets, finish leather things.:)
I'll bring what leather I have for the pot.

Robby, either Scott and I will be going up in the pickup or we'll be going up seperately. Either way there's room for another. I'd need a crystal ball to tell you what days and times but closer to the time we could sort you out a lift.

[Edit: Size 8:)]

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Robby, either Scott and I will be going up in the pickup or we'll be going up seperately. Either way there's room for another. I'd need a crystal ball to tell you what days and times but closer to the time we could sort you out a lift.

Thanks very much for the offer, it is very much appreciated and if I could I would. :You_Rock_ (Especially after Mary was relaying all of the activities that are lined up, the lip trembler was the bow making:( :( ) Unfortunately funds are short and were so before I found out I was going to have to fork out another £80 or £90 on the car. On top of that it's my son's 18th in December, I'm sure you can imagine.

Mary, if you're doing the char cloth thing I've got three sweet tins full of cut cotton cloth going spare if you want them. Still leaves me one, once I finish the sweets that is. It's a dirty job, but I'll struggle through.:D :D

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
81010202.jpg

A little teaser. The only decent picture I got. I hope yopu all enjoy.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've not got any sealskin left - Nat took most of it for projects so its now probably half way to Australia! I do have a lot of leather and offcuts I'll add to the swap-shop/craft sessions.

While I remember, is anyone who's coming able to flintknap? Its the one thing I still want to learn but know nothing about (Edinburgh's not a flinty place and so I haven't found anyone here who knows what they're doing). I'll bring some flint pieces I've acquired if someone can show me what to do with them!

I'm as always happy to teach bow drill, hand drill (if I can get enough spindles by the weekend), herbs and some fungi, as well as advice on how to pitch tarps badly as usual :rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
While I remember, is anyone who's coming able to flintknap? Its the one thing I still want to learn but know nothing about (Edinburgh's not a flinty place and so I haven't found anyone here who knows what they're doing). I'll bring some flint pieces I've acquired if someone can show me what to do with them!

I don't claim to be any good but can pass on the basics and have a couple of sets of tools as well as some good sized nodules. (Quite a lot of material in fact, my work sent me down south a while back and didn't notice the horrendous amount of fuel I was using coming back up at the weekends:27: )

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Do we have an idea of what's <gasp> ;) organized for the weekend? From the thread, there's been mention of;

Archery
Canoeing
Stags breath quaffing
Dugout project
Repairs to the crannog/ Hurdle making
Flintknapping
Fungi for Dummies
sharpening demo/workshop
Making stuff like long bows
Barter table - how does this works or is it as easy as it sounds...
green woodcraft demo
leathercraft tooling/flask making
bow drill, hand drill
herbs and some fungi
plus more.

Sounds like a busy weekend!

Cheers,

Alan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think the idea is to just keep it fairly informal and enjoy ourselves above all else. I for one am not coming to 'work', but I'll be more than happy to do demos for the public in the crannog and impromptu have a go sessions for any of our lot. I'll also be getting dressed up in my late iron age clothing for the weekend. Anyone else fancy getting dressed up? (Bring an old blanket and turn it into a cape).

Eric

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Barter table - how does this works or is it as easy as it sounds...
Alan

Yup as easy as it sounds:)

At the past meets people just put stuff on the table which they no longer have need of,some just to give away others to barter with,usually some one will say who put this on the table and someone will answer oh so and so,you approach so and so and ask what they would like for said item,then if all is ok the deal is done and both parties walk away with big cheesy grins on there faces.

There you go as clear as mud :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE