Loch Tay meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Preferred date for a Meet up at The Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.

• 26th to 29th October 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2nd to 5th November 2007

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 9th to 12th November 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 16th to 19th November 2007

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 23rd to 26th November 2007

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 30th November to 3rd December 2007

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah I'll have a target, and if Scotty comes along(which he probably will) he'll have one as well.
Looking at the camp and crannog locations I'd say bringing your boat is a must. I'm taking two.:)

TAY_CRANNOG.jpg

Oct 10, 2007
Edinburgh
hey

Im a newbie on here introduced by me good mate Windward :D

Id love to come on this weekend with you........ cant catch rabbits but can gut & prepare them for cooking.

Also not sure what exactly happens with this weekend but I could hold mediation and yoga sessions. Also some Spiritual Healing (Reiki) and a possibiity of home made wine.. if its ready in time that is :rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hi orenda, welcome to BcUK.:)

Also not sure what exactly happens with this weekend....

You're not the only one. It usually depends on who's there and what they feel like sharing or demonstrating. No two meets are the same.
The only thing that's for sure is that you'll probably go home with an unnatural desire to buy a canoe. That seems to be a recurring theme:rolleyes:.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
hey

Im a newbie on here introduced by me good mate Windward :D

Id love to come on this weekend with you........ cant catch rabbits but can gut & prepare them for cooking.

Also not sure what exactly happens with this weekend but I could hold mediation and yoga sessions. Also some Spiritual Healing (Reiki) and a possibiity of home made wine.. if its ready in time that is :rolleyes:

Hi Orenda and welcome to BcUK :D
Oh you'll fit right in :rolleyes: can prep, cook and brew as well as interesting extras :)

atb,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just back in the world of bushcraft after a hectic summer with nowhere near enough time to get outdoors and be involved in these things, and obviously just in time for a meetup!

I'm definitely up for coming - that weekend sounds fine (according to my diary anyway) - now to ask JohnC about that car space...

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
With this being my first meet i've got a couple of questions for those who have been to events like this in the past...

Is Dalherb a dedicated camp site? Is the area where we're setting up camp near where the cars will be for the kit, canoes etc?

What's the score when it comes to fires and cooking? Do individuals make their own fire to cook on, though that might mean a lot of fires, or do folk get into groups? What about wood...is there ample there?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but that'll do for now...lol...just not sure how everything works at these events.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you imagine a kind of rambling hammocky village? Where you don't walk by folk but say a quiet hello, and being nosy is a good thing? Nobody is a stranger basically. You get to ask things like, "How d'you hang that?"and "Are you sure you can eat that?!"

This isn't a dedicated camp site, see post 2, and there's a lot of room around the loch for folks who don't want to camp close.
There'll be a central fire pit that folks will usually gravitate to for a heat, a brew up and a blether. It needs effort to keep it going so if you see things getting low, go and do something about it or at least ask if you can help do so.

Water for both drinking and washing is available on site. We centralise litter and re-cycle bags and the car parking is very close.

There will be some wood on site, if anyone has stuff like remaindered charcoal going, bring it in, it's handy for cooking and sitting around if it's windy.

We're hoping to set up parachutes so we can have a dry-ish space for workshops and hands on show and teach and learn activities.

Usually it's very laid back, but it's astonishing the amount of information one can pick up.
Oh, and there's always the barter table :D Some folks bring along spare kit to give away or swap, or just useful stuff......I've got waterproof screw top aluminium tins for charcloth this time :)

We've got some really good cooks coming along, if they want to do a communal cook up, have at it and let the rest of us know if we can help with cash or provisions. :You_Rock_

No fridges but the loch's plenty cold enough for food in tubs or polybags.

Can't think of anything else offhand......Song of the Paddle folks will be canoeing to and fro, but it's only just over a mile from the Cranog to Dalherb and it's a pretty walk.
Normally most of us travel pretty lightly but these meet ups always seem to make us want to show and tell, so the amount, and variety, of stuff that appears can be awesome :D

One day, we're going to do one of these things with only a 25L pack each :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ah, noooo :(
Russ, that's real downer.
Barrie had already asked if you were up for staying on too....when *could* you get away? I'm starting to wonder about stretching this one out a bit since the site ought to be quiet anyway.

atb,
mary

well just seen what my boss is having off and it totally rules out November :censored: :censored: :censored: looking at the possiblity of taking December off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gailainne

Life Member
One day, we're going to do one of these things with only a 25L pack each :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Awwwww Toddy that means no shinies, wheres the fun in that :eek:

:D

Stephen

BTW If staying longer is viable, I would quite like to try for a week up there, I'm sure I could get the time off "crosses fingers and everything else" but it would prob mean the Middlewood weekend will have to go :(, maybe not we'll see.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
well just seen what my boss is having off and it totally rules out November :censored: :censored: :censored: looking at the possiblity of taking December off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There's no reason we can't do a December jaunt too.....cold, damp fresh air, open fires, good company, hard physical work, good food, comfortable hammock/ basha, beautiful scenery. I'm pretty sure Barrie would be fine with it if she and Nick are in the country. lets see how we find the site this time and we'll work on December. Barrie would be delighted to see you spend sometime up there anyway.

By the bye, has anyone else managed to suss out the details of fishing licences? I can't make head nor tail of it. Either it's £5 per day or the loch doesn't need one, and I don't know which is correct. I know the rivers do because of the salmon.
cheers,
Mary

Gailainne

Life Member
I must admit I consider a "shiney" anything above and beyond the basics, which when you get right down to it, is probably quite a lot of my kit :eek:, stuff that makes things more comfortable, like my KT tarp over and above the tarp which comes with my Hennesy (Small), my underblanker from Wonderinstar, a 2nd stove (hobo or my pyrolysis), my aluminium fold up table (cheers Graham_S for the idea), my fold up stool, non stick frying pan (over and above my ti mug and cookset), like BR says you dont have to rough it when you camp out (or words to that effect).

Oh and to blades, no claymores, although I have a design for a dirk and a sgain dubh that I'll have made one day. I had a knife made for me (Graham is gonna love it) by Roger, who was in Sweden with me earlier this year, joesdad on BB), I'll bring that along as well :D

No bronze blades, although that one of yours had me tempted, that was a really well executed knife.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Oct 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Thank you Guys for a warm welcome. :240:

Sounds like a real laid back happy weekend to be had........ by that i dont mean sunning myself ( if there is any sun that is/ but if there is mmmmm... mayb a wee bit of sunbathing :lmao: )

Looking forward to meeting you all

:beerchug:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The only thing that's for sure is that you'll probably go home with an unnatural desire to buy a canoe. That seems to be a recurring theme:rolleyes:.

oh oh, I'm going with an unnatural desire to buy a canoe :eek: goodness knows what I'm going to be coming back with!

Thanks for sorting this out Toddy, if you're looking for charcloth, I'll bring my biccie tin and try and do a fresh batch specially!

looking forward to it a lot, already packed and repacked a couple of times to the tutting sound of Mrs Chainsaw.

Cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
By the bye, has anyone else managed to suss out the details of fishing licences? I can't make head nor tail of it. Either it's £5 per day or the loch doesn't need one, and I don't know which is correct. I know the rivers do because of the salmon.

Looks like a fiver for trout permits. Probably free for course fishing but I'll never understand how folk can bring themselves to chuck a trout back in if they catch one by accident.
I know it's not the way it's supposed to work but if a couple of us pick up permits we can leave them with the boats then anyone going out for a shot will at least have a bit of paper in their pocket.

Boat Fishing Advice
Fishing is usually by trolling or drifting. When trolling it is advisable to follow the drop off which runs around the loch about 30-50m out. Hot spots are many, but the best are off the pier and island at Dalherb, Acharn Point, Hen Farm, around the crannogs.

TAY_SURVEY.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Josh :D I'm sure we can buy the licences at the p.o. just along the road.
So, as long as no one catches a silver fish we're fine.

Should be able to find room for tents Eds, there aren't thoosands of us going anyway and it's a big lochside.

The other thread on wax paper for firestarting has had me thinking; would anyone be interested in a kind of "group buy" on saltpetre?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/950g-NORMAL-P...ryZ20540QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I buy the bag, weigh it out into zip bags and deliver it at Loch Tay, it'd be another play/ trial/ show how activity too.

Russ, if you can get away for even a day over the weekend I'll happily nip down to Perth and pick you up

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE