Loch Achray meet 23rd -26th June 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Graham_S said:
on a side note, i've taken up spinning poi.
apparently you can do it while they're burning :D

Goodness gracious great balls of fire. Just as well we will be next to lots of water just in case of another woosh incident. Oh man spinning burning orbs, whatever next. :eek: :D :burnout:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
since i only started yesterday i may not be quite at the fire stage yet.....
i've got this nagging feeling that i may need a little more practice first :D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Graham_S said:
since i only started yesterday i mat not be quite at the fire stage yet.....
i've got this nagging feeling that i may need a little more practice first :D

Something else to add to my pack then - or perhaps load into Ferret's - we've both been doing fire performance stuff for a good few years, on and off. :)

If there's going to be leather bottle making, I can offer some hints and tips as I made one a few weeks ago - well perhaps a list of Don'ts and Don'ts. :rolleyes: Actually, I think JohnC made one too, so we can have a compare :D

Grooveski - any flint-related stuff would be useful, I haven't got past the 'hit rocks together and hope it gets sharper' stage :confused: I've also recently made some pitch from tree resin and charcoal, and I'd like to collect enough to make a pitch-lined leather drinking flagon of some kind...

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If we're going to be doing flasks, I'll bring some ready cut blanks. All that'll be needed is to sew them up, wet and shape them then soak in melted beeswax. I'll do half a dozen and run a workshop. It'll be good to compare notes with others who have done some.

Here's some I did last week along with some other stuff to sell up at the Battle of Methven event this weekend.

flasks.jpg

These are the flasks we'll be making at Loch Achray if anyone fancies it.

flasks-and-whorls.jpg

Some spinning whorls for the lady re-enactors to buy.

swords.jpg

Some oak practice swords for the menfolk, and a few for their children.

methven-stuff.jpg

There's also a few hundred tablet weaving cards and some shuttles/beaters as well (these are the wee wooden things at the front.

Eric

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Updated list

MagiKelly (hammock)
JamesOConnor ( Hammock)
Wayland & Debbie (2 Hammocks)
Match & Fire Ferret (2 hammocks)
Grooveski ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
warthog1981 ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
Doc +2 (tent) Fri - Sun
JohnC (hammock) Fri - Sun
stuart f (Tarp) Fri - Mon
Eric_Methven (Hammock) Sat - Mon
hammy (Hammock) Sat -Sun
Bowser (PINK tent :) )
Graham S + Katy (2 Hammocks + maybe tent)

18 so far plus a few on SotP

Any news on the Portaloo James?

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
bad news re the portaloo im afraid. the company i was going to use have already taken a block booking for the weekend we need it. i was on to them today. ive rung up another company and provisionally booked the toilet ( they need me to fill a form in that has been posted from them today) but its a bit steeper at around 158 plus vat. how is everyone about this? i hope that this is still ok? let me know what you think. its either this or we hold it in all weekend!! :lmao:

regards
james

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Still sounds ok to me.

They're classy Eric! :) Reckon I'll more than "probably" have a go at it now. Shall I still bring wax or do you have a big dipping pot already?

[Edit - Scratch that question, I've got a swedish mess full of wax, of course I'll bring it. :rolleyes:. It's not like it'd be much use anywhere else.]

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
OK by me.

The poi sounds interesting as I am something of an expert here. I can make Steak and Kidney Poi, Beef and Ale Poi as well as Mince Poi.

The archery kit will be there and if there is interest in a friendly competition, I would be happy to offer a prize in the form of a luxury meal at the venue of the winners choice, anywhere in Scotland*. There are varying levels of experience here so we might need a handicap system or something.

Would always be interested in more firecraft and botany.

John and I recently completed 3 star canoe assessments and while this doesn't qualify us to teach we can pass on some skills I'm sure.

It is still pretty light at 10pm just now and by the meet the days will be longer still.

*i.e., one ex HM Forces 24 hour Ration Pack

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Originaly Posted by Doc
John and I recently completed 3 star canoe assessments and while this doesn't qualify us to teach we can pass on some skills I'm sure.
A recovery demo would be interesting.
(you swam right into that one :))

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Grooveski said:
A recovery demo would be interesting.
(you swam right into that one :))

I'd be very happy to do this providing I am the rescuer and not the rescuee........

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Pencil me in for one hammock, assuming I can organise transport.

Doc said:
I'd be very happy to do this providing I am the rescuer and not the rescuee........

So have you learnt to stay in the boat then? ;) :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
gregorach said:
Pencil me in for one hammock, assuming I can organise transport.

So have you learnt to stay in the boat then? ;) :D

:) Well, if we paddle together again at the meet, you can take the stern seat. Then you'll be able to see if we're both paddling on the same side.... :)

Ross is eagerly gathering his fishing tackle together. The pike, I guess, are cowering in the waterweed far from the campsite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE