Loch Achray meet 23rd -26th June 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Don't worry, I am sure there will be another

MagiKelly (hammock)
JamesOConnor ( Hammock)
Wayland & Debbie (2 Hammocks)
Match & Fire Ferret (2 hammocks)
Grooveski ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
warthog1981 ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
Doc +2 (tent) Fri - Sun
JohnC (hammock) Fri - Sun
stuart f (Tarp) Fri - Mon
Eric_Methven +1 (Hammock & Tent) Sat - Mon
hammy (Hammock) Sat -Sun
Graham S + Katy (2 Hammocks + maybe tent)
gregorach ( Hammock)
Craig M9 + 1 (2 Hammocks) Sat + Sun

21 plus about 10 on SotP

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
ive now got the info from the portaloo people ( scotloo), this is the cheapest comapny i could find but they have popped up with a bit of a problem. the chapest that they can do is £38 with £50 delivery and £50 pick up all plus vat . the problem is though that delivery can only be on tues 20th and pick up tues 27th. this is a problem as we obviously wont be on site and therefor cant leave it alone for that long unattended.
for them to drop it off on friday it is £125 with pick up £125 on monday too! added in with vat and the cost of the loo this come to a few quid that might be too much for all to take for just toilet provision.
ive talked to magickelly already, and along with putting this up for you all to discuss we came up with either doing the same as the last time, ie dig a hole. or someone could get a chemical toilet either having one already or buying one and we could compensate that person instead, these toilets are only around £50 to buy. but for someone to take away this toilet home by car might not be to pleasant a journey as it could stink a bit.
i thought this issue would affect more the families and women coming to the meet up as its far more civilised having a toilet on site but im in a bit of a quandry what to do. your thought would be appreciated.

regards
james

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do the scout groups who visit the site use?
There are good toilets at the Loch Drunkie site; would the Rangers allow the portaloo to be emptied there?
Can permission be obtained to dig/plant a proper treebog on the site? It could be set up temporarily using fabric for screening.

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Toddy said:
What do the scout groups who visit the site use?
There are good toilets at the Loch Drunkie site; would the Rangers allow the portaloo to be emptied there?
Can permission be obtained to dig/plant a proper treebog on the site? It could be set up temporarily using fabric for screening.

Cheers,
Toddy

My understanding is they dig a latrine. My concerns were that a portaloo would be a bit moe "civilised" for those not used to wild camping and also any latrine at the lower level is likely to be in the ground water = the Loch water. Whilst the foresstry commission are okay with this I prefered to look for another option if we could. Part of this concern was because I thought we would have a much bigger number than last year but as it happens we will probably have the same or slightly less.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My tuppence ha'penny worth; I've kept quiet 'cos I wasn't sure if I was even going to manage to be there for one day, now I "ought" to manage Friday & Saturday :cool:

I think you had the right idea John, sometimes we just have to go with what we can manage though.
I do see your point too Wayland, and I think for things like babywipes/ handwipes, etc., it's very necessary, but I can't see folks carrying home the liquid stuff, and that needs dealt with anyway.

I'm hoping to be there on Friday; I've got a trenching spade and I can provide fabric for screening too. It'll need poles of some kind though....heavy garden canes will do if we can't cut poles.
Alternatively, brushwood screening is available cheaply in the old Poundstretchers stores just now; theoretically it could be left on site and it would make a good basis for growing ivy and willow for a tree bog.....maybe Stuart would be the best one to advise on this issue ?

From experience of mixed camps, two are better than one, and if one is for *standing* and one for sitting, better yet. Those who don't come ready equiped with the handy wee hose attachment would prefer a seperate loo, but since we all live in families anyway, we're used to the logistics of sharing. ;) Still need to figure out the sitting part....trousers down and hanging onto a pole gets old very quickly :eek:

Siting the trench is probably better left to those who arrive early but I think Graham's idea sounds practical, and at least that way it's got a long way to be worked on by soil bacteria, etc., before it ends up in the water.

If off in the woods in small numbers there's rarely any need to make an issue of the loos, but in large groups it can become a real problem very quickly. Lets just deal with it neatly and get on with the weekend :D It might not be very Bushcrafty but it's practical.
Thanks for looking into the portaloo possibility James.

Cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm bringing my large portapotty. We can set it up somewhere secluded, but easy to find in the dark. Toddy, if you bring some screening material we can fashion a decent convenience in half an hour or so. This time I'll use bin liners inside the portapotty so I don't mind carrying out the contents. Problem solved! Please bring your own bog roll though.

Eric

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As long as the FC are happy with sensitively placed holes (ie well away from camp and water) for individual burial, I'm personally happier with more ad-hoc toliet arrangements... Whatever other people want to do is up to them, but I'd rather just dig my own holes if that's OK at this site.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i was thinking there :eek: and thought that ive a few books that might be good to bring along for people to borrow/swap for other books ,as ive read them and think that someone will like it ,as opposed to me just chucking them away.
i have several of them from canoeing to books about a guy who traps up in alaska ( the last frontiersman). let us know if it is worth me taking them along.

regards
james

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Hi,

Looks like Ferret and I aren't going to be able to make it to this meet - hope you guys all have a good one though!

MagiKelly

A point I should have made earlier is that the access road into the Three Forest Drive is locked at about 7pm however we can access the site by coming in the exit gate, which is not locked. In fact it is always quicker to come in the exit gate. I have checked with the FC and this is allowed as long as you are only coming as far as the Camp Site.

The current list is

MagiKelly (hammock)
JamesOConnor ( Hammock)
Wayland & Debbie (2 Hammocks)
Grooveski ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
warthog1981 ( Hammock) Fri - Mon
Doc +2 (tent) Fri - Sun
JohnC (hammock) Fri - Sun
stuart f (Tarp) Fri - Mon
Eric_Methven +1 (Hammock & Tent) Sat - Mon
hammy (Hammock) Sat -Sun
Graham S + Katy (2 Hammocks + maybe tent)
gregorach ( Hammock)
Craig M9 + 1 (2 Hammocks) Sat + Sun
Toddy (possible tent)
Outdoorcode (Probably a tipi ;))

20 plus about 8 on BCUK
It looks as if numbers will be about 30 which is pretty much ideal for this site. If anyone wants my mobile number in case of problems just drop me a PM.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You have a bank balance? I just get my wages paid into MagiKelly's account these days :rolleyes:.
(Must .... resist .... huge .... cotton .... tarp ....)
:borgsmile Resistance is futile :borgsmile
(Must .... resist .... huge .... cotton .... tarp ....)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE