how do you carry yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

favorite carry style

• on the belt (strong side)

Votes: 267 53.3%
  • onthe belt (cross draw)

Votes: 71 14.2%
  • around the neck (bandolier)

Votes: 70 14.0%
  • in a pack

Votes: 93 18.6%

• Total voters

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Remember if your found with a knife that breaks the law the police will charge you and its then up to you to prove at court that you had it for a lawful purpose. I say this with a large measure of experience :27:

Sweden has a knife law, but the police is not very anal about enforcing it, they see it more as a tool to get armed drunks and punks into custody. I carry a SwissTool or a SAK (25 year old Champion) at least 95% of the time, and policemen must have seen the belt case for the SwissTool lots of times. Since I usually carry my fixed blade knives around my neck I generally tuck them inside my shirt/jacket when I forget myself and go to the grocery store with one. And out here in the country police are very much not in evidence anyway.

Oh, and no one else out here cares about sane knives[1] being carried either as far as I have noticed.

/Forestwalker

[1] Sane as in "not the size of small men", "not looking like a weapon, but like a tool", etc.

The Question was When in the woods how do you carry yours

Travelling there and back or hiking on a trail I keep it in my Bergen.
(I have a Kukri on a PLCE Belt)

However When in the woods in my base camp area I carry it on my belt.

It dose me no good in my bergen then, When I need it I have it.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Mostly on my belt on the side of my hip, when walking long distances, its on my schoulder strap on mu rucksack. just line modern warfare games, not that this was my inspiration... :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Leatherman on my belt (most often used blade for me) and if I take a fixed blade then it stays in my pack or is hung on the back of my camp chair until needed.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I made a baldric from 10 yards of paracord in which I carry my knife. It's easy to take on and off and I have the PC for emergencies.

round the neck. i've got a hand made knife, about 4 - 5 inches in total, very light and easy to use for small jobs like carving and gutting small game. the neck sheath is quite discreet and easy to access when im sitting round a campfire eating or just too lazy to unclip my mora lol. for bigger things i carry my modified mora knife on a belt sheath.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
The reason that I like to keep as much of my item in a rucksack is that I have seen a number of lower leg injuries from people that trip, slip and fall with either too much or dangerous items strapped to their waist. :stretcher:

Also, I find the pack allows you to be more adaptable in uncharted terrain where you may have to climb, conduct river crossings, etc.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have a nice set up using my maxped' Janus which i use to carry bits and bobs while I'm in the woods, doesn't flop down and poke you in the thigh, and easy to get at

e5b76e3c.jpg

fits well on my condor duty belt :D

I prefer a 5 to 7 inch long (around 3 1/2 inch blade) full tang knife whether in the city or the woods. I live in the US, so we don't have outlandish knife laws. However, I prefer to have my knife on my belt horizontally so that it isn't too obvious. Gone are the days when every man was expected to carry a knife, a lighter, and a handkerchief. When I don't have a full tang knife I usually have a Victorinox Tinker or some other small folder. I buy knives like most women buy shoes, so it isn't really a question of how I carry but more of which one I carry.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i always carry my mora on my right hip, have a folding saw in my jacket pocket and folder in my pocket.

if i where going into the woods for more than 24 hrs i would have a spare mora in my pack with a gerba or leatherman.

i always carry 2 blades on me along with my fire steel and tinder every time just incase i lose my bergan and have to use what i have with me to get me out of the brown stuff.

im going to make an under sholder holster for my spare mora and get another for the bergan to...... you can never have to meany blades...lol

Dec 4, 2010
UK
Sorry to be a downer guys, But what about knife laws? I thought that carrying a any fixed blade or locking folder in a public place in the uk was illegal and an imprisonable offence?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Sorry to be a downer guys, But what about knife laws? I thought that carrying a any fixed blade or locking folder in a public place in the uk was illegal and an imprisonable offence?

Welcome to the forum!

Your information is incomplete. As you might expect there have already been threads on this forum about the legislation, so rather than turn it all over yet again you might want to do some searches. It's probably better to use Google or some other search engine than the forum search facilities, which I've found a bit unsatisfactory. I think the term you're looking for is "reasonable excuse".

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
In my bag or in a pinch in my jacket pocket, but that is mostly because I don't go too far from my boat.

I have been thinking of getting a nice and small neck knife in a leather or birch bark sheath (for actually wearing around my neck) but I have only seen a few nice ones for sale - one of them here on BCUK - but in both cases I saw them after they were already sold.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I use a carabiner and clip it onto the food barrel when on canoe trips. I find having a knife on the waist while paddling is not very comfortable.

garethw

Settler
I prefer around my neck, tucked into my fleece. Not keen on long belt carried stuff as it invariabley gets snagged when you site down, get in to drive the car etc...At least round your neck its out of the way and ready to use.
OnceI've finished with it, it goes into my day bag or back pack.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE