2024 Bushcraft Goals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought a thread where we can put our bushcraft goals for the year might be good. I appreciate that the first quarter has already passed us by but spring it here and everyones enthusiasm is no doubt bubbling up like the sap in the trees :)

In December, when you reflect on this year what do you want to have done, learned or practiced? We can keep this list as a bit of accountability or just post your hopes and see how it goes!

I would like to carve some more spoons and kitchen utensils, I enjoy this and find it relaxing. I will also ask Wayne to teach me (I attend a BushMoot workshop of his?) to carve a wood spirit.

How about you?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
To only buy gear and kit with money I have made from selling other bits.
Have recently discovered vinted and have sold some clothes on there rather than dispose of in the clothes bins at supermarkets. Signed up for a separate bank account that any money earned gets paid into that and trying to stick within that account for spends. Be more frugal I suppose seeing as times are not easy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... last time I set myself a year's worth of wilderness activity we had a pandemic!

However:
- I have staves seasoning in a number of different woods for experimental archaeology in the performance of Holmegaard bows made out of Mesolithic and Neolithic available species. I've already snapped a couple so this may be quite frustrating!
- I'm walking Offa's Dyke with my daughter in stages. But, she won't rough camp so it will be day walks.
- I didn't get on the water at all last year so a couple of canoe treks even if they are just 'day jollies'.
- I have a few people wanting me to run a wilderness skills course in the woods; I'm thinking about it.
- We must spend a lot more time in the Shepherd's Hut (if the monsoon season ever passes)

The reality is the Habitats Management group I helped set up is turning into a two-headed beast and a virtually full-time unpaid job; I need to step back a bit :)

Reactions: CLEM and Tony

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I am, perforce, an armchair/back garden bushcrafter, but would like to actually get into making some simple bits of kit instead of just thinking about it. If the gods finally get their water bill and realise they left the sprinkler running, I'd hope to get myself and the ever-reluctant cat out into the garden on a more regular basis too. He loves any kind of shelter, so a good excuse to play around with tarp configurations and whatnot. Oh, and committing a few more knots and hitches to the old noggin would be of benefit. Then there's improving my bird recognition, which is appalling. Yes, plenty of goals, to be sure. If the end of the year results are a no score draw it won't be for want of ambition!

Reactions: Tony

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I don’t do New Year resolutions but if I can carry on camping through all four seasons that will be great.

I’ve been lent/given a whittling multitool and I just might try to carve a wooden link.

Don’t hold me to that and if I do it don’t be disappointed by its appearance. I am a dyed in the hide adequist.

Apr 21, 2024
West Virginia
I want to learn how to tie a variety of knots and ordered a SAK with a Marlin spike to get me towards that goal.

I'd like to learn to start a fire with a firesteel without using dragongel.

I want to learn to use a cannoe.

I'd like to learn to cast a line and fillet a fish.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I thought a thread where we can put our bushcraft goals for the year might be good. I appreciate that the first quarter has already passed us by but spring it here and everyones enthusiasm is no doubt bubbling up like the sap in the trees :)

In December, when you reflect on this year what do you want to have done, learned or practiced? We can keep this list as a bit of accountability or just post your hopes and see how it goes!

I would like to carve some more spoons and kitchen utensils, I enjoy this and find it relaxing. I will also ask Wayne to teach me (I attend a BushMoot workshop of his?) to carve a wood spirit.

How about you?
what A good idea for a thread tony. I write mine down on new years day. they were; learn more coastal foraging. learn more plants(i have a list to find). learn more about growing food, improve archery and catapult. x

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not at all sure.

I feel I have achieved one huge goal by going to live in the Iron Age; something I can do even in my current state of stookieness.

(Never mind I am really no prehistorian...)

I have some high end kit that really should be used, somehow.

I (After such a fun winter moot) would like to attend the Bushmoot again, but I will admit, I am not thrilled by too many time shufflings.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
To perfect the art of stealth, camouflage & concealment, because after the house has dried from the flood I'm going to have to re-plaster & re-decorate & I'd like to disappear. :D

• Haha
Reactions: grainweevil

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
To only buy gear and kit with money I have made from selling other bits.
Have recently discovered vinted and have sold some clothes on there rather than dispose of in the clothes bins at supermarkets. Signed up for a separate bank account that any money earned gets paid into that and trying to stick within that account for spends. Be more frugal I suppose seeing as times are not easy
I like that idea an account from selling kit to use to buy. I have been trying to not buy anything but did fall and bought a grayl.

I am hoping to get fitter and do more hillwalks and bivi camps instead on woodland walks.

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I like that idea an account from selling kit to use to buy. I have been trying to not buy anything but did fall and bought a grayl.

I am hoping to get fitter and do more hillwalks and bivi camps instead on woodland walks.
Have used my grayl geopress for the better part of 4 years now. It's been a game changer for me and now I don't have to worry about carrying so much water

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've already made a start on my goals.
Learning to prepare sinew thread
Making my kit more ecco friendly ie less plastic
Learning how to do my own knife sharpening
Learning wilderness first aid
Planting a wild garden full of medicinal and other wild plants that are good for bees and butterflies. Also a bit of gorilla gardening with herbs in out of the way corners the town.
Whatever else I can get an opportunity to learn.

bearbait

I'm hoping to try some more and different open-fire cooking techniques this year, using - amongst others - Reflector Oven, Dutch Oven, and also my Zebra Billy Pot as an Oven on my Firebox Stove (only had one go at this so far). And I'm currently looking forward to the delivery of my 5-Way Cast Iron Cookware set, from the recent Firebox Kickstarter project, to this end.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Nice and simple for me - spend more nights in the woods

Sent from underground

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE