Legality and Perception of EDC's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I Was wondering how much our perception of the legalities of what we carry dictate what we carry. My SAK that's in my pocket most of the time has no locking blades, now and then I carry a locking blade knife, on the very odd occasion I carry a leatherman type setup, this has some locking blades, but i've carried this less as I've got better easy carry knives.
Some people carry those credit card survival things, some big steel pens, I have on with a knurled top, but it's perceived as aggressive or a weapon by some, so I often have a bic on me.

Any of you change what you carry or would like to carry based on it's legality or it's perception by others, legal or not?

Reactions: Minotaur and Toddy

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Yes, I consider very carefully anything I carry on me in public.
I have a good understanding of the law, but I also want a hassle free and quiet life. I live in West London and commute in daily, knives or anything that could be perceived as a weapon is frowned upon so rather than have to explain or argue anything I just don’t carry it.

Example, visiting a television studios to watch the bake off a few years back the security didn’t like my micro leatherman keyring because it has a knife blade - the person behind had a 12 inch chefs knife (with a cake) and had no issues.

I can’t be bothered to argue that I might need a window breaker pen.

But that’s just me.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
No I don’t think about legality simply because I don’t carry knives about with me. I would very rarely use one beyond my home other than when out with the tent. Then it’s carried in a bag, in a rucksack, in my car until I arrive on site.

Because I don’t think about the issue there arises a risk in that I can become careless There are many occasions that I do get a knife out of its drawer to do a job at home. I have occasionally forgotten that I’ve shoved an Opinal#12 into a back pocket and gone shopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I always have a knife on me, a decent quality small slip joint and small Leatherman on my keys that go everywhere.

At work I have a Leatherman on my belt and locking knife in my pocket alongside torches abd other tools, although these come off when popping into tescos etc.

Around the house I will always have one of my other knives in my pocket, just because I can

Outside these times I don't always put one of my larger slip joints in my pocket, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't depending where I am going, mostly guided by other peoples opinions. Silly maybe as there is nothing illegal about it. (But then again there is always a small slip joint on my keys so it's maybe not so important)

Reactions: John59 and Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey - I carry a 3' sword, a spear and a 41/2" sharp knife to work ... I also carry a SAK and a bladeless Leatherman, a sub 3" penknife and (around the village) quite often a 5" belt knife ... Never had any hassle!
If I was going out to a local pub or to town then I would probably only carry my SAK and leatherman (most pubs are a fair way away) but mostly I stay out of "civilization" and never see a Police Officer or Security Person from one months end to the next.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I'd change my knife choices to a locking folder rather than a slipjoint, but I don't think I'd really carry anything with much of a longer blade.

I think if our firearms laws were different here, I wouldn't even carry a firearm if able to as an 'EDC' - I always get the impression that people do it for image more than anything else in countries where it's legal. Some kind of John Wayne complex.

Reactions: John59 and Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I Was wondering how much our perception of the legalities of what we carry dictate what we carry. My SAK that's in my pocket most of the time has no locking blades, now and then I carry a locking blade knife, on the very odd occasion I carry a leatherman type setup, this has some locking blades, but i've carried this less as I've got better easy carry knives.
Some people carry those credit card survival things, some big steel pens, I have on with a knurled top, but it's perceived as aggressive or a weapon by some, so I often have a bic on me.

Any of you change what you carry or would like to carry based on it's legality or it's perception by others, legal or not?

I do a pocket check if i know I'm heading to a city or town - a quick pat down of me by myself can find certain sharps that I think maybe would get me into trouble if I had to turn out my pockets but I'm a country boy at heart living in the country and normally carry something capable of tasks as i see fit. And thats kind of the point ( for me ) most of the times I've needed a good knife isn't a planned session - its when I've taken a walk somewhere new and found a nice big mushroom that is asking to come home with me , or a bit of rope that needs cutting , or etc etc.

Ref Fixswords comments towards firearms - whilst I agree to a point especially regarding those with open carry licences ( although I suspect by proxy those countries( states ) that allow it may have lower criminal stats ) if I had to move to a country and availability to firearms by citizens and criminals alike was easily accessible I would feel compelled to carry as a duty to protect me and mine. Fantasy or not - I'd hate to be in a situation where I found me wanting and not having.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I carry a knife every day and use it multiple times a day. Generally a SAK. If permitted I would probably carry a smaller fixed blade as well since it's easier to use one handed when tying in canes etc. Were the laws different I would EDC other things. However, they aren't.

Reactions: rarms

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I always have a knife in my pocket. Some days a SAK, some days a locking folder. I often stick a fixed blade on my belt if i am heading up the woods. It's only if I am going to the pub or in to London that I check to make sure I don't have a knife on me.

Sent from underground

Reactions: John59

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I am careful with what I carry and try to be considerate of others if going somewhere busier. E.g. nowadays I usually carry an Victorinox Bantam Alox to work as it’s looks more harmless and cuts open parcels just as well as my other EDCs. If I’m going away, I usually bring a pair of scissors instead of my pocket knife. People rarely have a problem with someone like me having a pair of scissors, plus it’s handy for the knitting.

Reactions: gg012 and Pattree

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I read the EDC threads but personally don’t have any EDC items on me day to day, including any sort of knife or Multitool. That’s not from a legality viewpoint, rather a not needing one.

I don’t use a wallet and pay for everything with my watch and that has my loyalty cards on it also. So generally don’t have anything in my pocket or on my person other than a car key.
When I go back packing or bike packing I might carry a tiny opinal just in case I need a blade but haven’t used one in over 30 years of doing outdoor activities.

My out and about rucksack currently has a small Cudeman Sanabria 2 fixed blade in it because I was doing some coastal walks and beach combing. The total blade length is only 7cm. It’s full tang and I think I could do a weekends bushcraft with it.

I’d probably be happy with that in my bag when camping and the like but would not take it out and about in an urban context. Even though it’s legal I still think it’s harder to justify having on your person because it is just a knife as apposed to a multitool or SAK with other functions.
I also have a SAK that is he happier to carry in my pocket but don’t like the extra weight and bulk day to day.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I can’t imagine how it’d be legal in an urban context just out and about - all fixed blades require a reasonable excuse defence, regardless of length.

Reactions: gg012

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I usally carry a SAK or a single bladed slip joint of some kind. I do adjust my carry if going to places with more restrictions but even then have something like a SAK classic SD on me. I have carried a pocket knife since about age 7 and find the current state of affairs rather disappointing. I do however abide by the laws. It would be nice to EDC my leatherman but wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: Kenny P

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Honestly, if I think it is going to stand out or cause a stir when I use it then I leave it at home.

Put me off owning many knives including the spyderco UKPK.

Schools, court and public transport (not that i have much cause to use any of them these days) also need special consideration.

Otherwise happy to toddle about with a slipjoint in my pocket, or if I am going to do a specific task then something bigger, more suited to the task and safer.

Reactions: SaraR

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I always have a slipjoint on me now but have used a locking or fixed blade at work in the past. Out here in the countryside if you see someone in a field carrying a gun then that's just part of rural life. Contrast that with in town where a SAK can throw people into hysteria.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I always have a slipjoint on me now but have used a locking or fixed blade at work in the past. Out here in the countryside if you see someone in a field carrying a gun then that's just part of rural life. Contrast that with in town where a SAK can throw people into hysteria.
It's funny how nobody in work raises an eyebrow if I get the Stanley knife out, but you take out a small pocket knife (easier to carry around between buildings) and some ppl make a comment. TBF most couldn't care less.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Last time I was at a hotel lobby bar in Luosto there were half a dozen locals all having at least one fixed blade knife, some three. No one batted an eye lid. Yes, it is kind of illegal but they are not changing their ways so fast for some bad laws from the south.

This just for comparison. I carry a SAK and most of the time a Leatherman with bits.

Reactions: John59

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE