how do you carry yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

favorite carry style

• on the belt (strong side)

Votes: 267 53.3%
  • onthe belt (cross draw)

Votes: 71 14.2%
  • around the neck (bandolier)

Votes: 70 14.0%
  • in a pack

Votes: 93 18.6%

• Total voters

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
Graham_S said:
when you are out in the woods, what is everyones favorite way to carry their fixed blade knife.

i have a s1 falkniven with the dangler sheath with will atach to my belt and fit in my pocket all at the same time

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
In the pocket for me, hopefully getting a neck seath soon though, and a nice new knife to company it. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I polled for the strong side belt carry,
But I'm open to discussion.
For a first proper outdoor knife (as opposed to a wannabe weapon of my younger days) I fancy trying a neck carry with the option of moving it to an under-arm carry ( like Sandbenders) should discretion dictate. Perhaps a neck band such as is posted for a water bottle carrier elsewhere on this forum, or a long cord, shortened/adjusted by slip-knots!
However, the survival knives that were sewn onto our flight suits when in the forces, placed the knife either (A) Blade up on the outside of the weaker upper arm, or (B, more often) Blade down on the lower strong side leg. I think it was all to do with being able to reach for the knife when in a restricted space.
This has further led me to think about mounting a sheath for a blade up carry on the left strap of a pair of braces, which I wear nearly allways! Though I think it would appear to be a very agressive carrying style
I'll also be trying a swinging belt sheath, to see if it really improves a belt carry when helping on friends farms and so in/out of a Landrover, often with great haste.

Come on folks, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Ogri the trog

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
while i carry my main knife on a bandolier under my left arm (so it doesn't interfere with my rucksack or get in the way when sitting) my pocket knife is kept in a knife pocket in the RHS thigh pocket of my german army trousers. a very handy thing.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Ogri the trog said:
I polled for the strong side belt carry,
But I'm open to discussion.
For a first proper outdoor knife (as opposed to a wannabe weapon of my younger days) I fancy trying a neck carry with the option of moving it to an under-arm carry ( like Sandbenders) should discretion dictate. Perhaps a neck band such as is posted for a water bottle carrier elsewhere on this forum, or a long cord, shortened/adjusted by slip-knots!
However, the survival knives that were sewn onto our flight suits when in the forces, placed the knife either (A) Blade up on the outside of the weaker upper arm, or (B, more often) Blade down on the lower strong side leg. I think it was all to do with being able to reach for the knife when in a restricted space.
This has further led me to think about mounting a sheath for a blade up carry on the left strap of a pair of braces, which I wear nearly allways! Though I think it would appear to be a very agressive carrying style
I'll also be trying a swinging belt sheath, to see if it really improves a belt carry when helping on friends farms and so in/out of a Landrover, often with great haste.

Come on folks, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Ogri the trog

I wear "Snickers" trousers at work - the ones with the knee pads and multiple pockets.
There is a pocket on the RHS/upper leg that holds my stainless Frosts work knife very nicely.
It's always to hand and moves with my leg when I bend avoiding the problems associated with a belt mounted carry when sitting down or in a vehicle.
It's very discrete at work but when it comes to my bushcrtaft knife i opt for belt carry as strapping it to my thigh would look very "tactical" and send out all the wrong messages to others.
By improving the belt loop a belt carry sheath can be very comfortable by allowing a greater degree of movement.
410_1021_1z.jpg

I do carry my Allen Blade Scandi Pack Pal in a neck sheath when i wearing waterproof over trousers but i can't get used to the knife always being in my way !
I don't like "danglers" as they require two hands to unsheathe.
I haven't had the time to make a cross draw sheath yet but i think this may be a useful set up for a shorter blade.

rb

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Depends on the knife.

On a folder(EVC), I like a struggle draw so I can stand in court saying it is hard to get out of the holder.

I am going to baldrick my billhook, seems to make the most sense but maybe not.

I have always had the problem of carrying 3 knifes.

Frost sits on left hip and cold steel on right(reversed so I have to turn it, to use it, that just makes no sense). Machette sort of gets hand carried(left hand) at the moment.

I am going to lose the machette in favor of the billhook, which means I have to put the billhook on my left hip or baldrick it.

I like the scout carry idea so when the leather arrives I am going to make a scout carry sheath for my mora.

In an idea world: -

My bushman would scout carry or hang under my right arm (It is concelled carry so not going to happen).

My Billhook would hang on my left hip(so my left hand could easily undo the straps holding it).

My Mora would would scout carry or hang on my left side under my arm(It is concelled carry so not going to happen).

In the real world, the Mora is the problem. The bushman is going to take the right hip so where do I put the Mora? I think I am going to have to go for a neck carry so it is on display.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rapid,
Thanks for the heads-up. The black sheath looks to be a handy modification, and well worth encorporating into future projects. I know what you mean by "danglers" - it seems to go against the grain of reasonable thought if you have to struggle to draw your blade.
It'll take me some time to get around to the end of the project, but I'll let you all know how things turn out.

...I really must get around to finding out how to post pictures on this infernal device.

ATB

Ogri the trog

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Hi all.

Thought i'd throw in a few ideas from the world of scuba diving in general and technical diving in particular. Some of these ideas should apply to the dry land aswell. The world of technical diving is somewhat specialized as we often stick our heads into places they probably do not belong, such as cramped spaces, wrecks, caves, etc. This means a few things to consider when it comes to placement of your knives. Note the plural there btw :)

First off. Knives at the inner side of the leg == crap. It was popular in the 60's and 70's adventure series and looked cool, but it's way to long off to be usable. Plus it can get entangled easily in seaweed, lines, nets, and any other obstruction. Also, if your in a cramped space and/or in a dry-suit, you might not be agile enough to get to the knife.

This means placements needs to be hip upwards, within easy reach from both hands. And that leads us to where to put the knives. Here, a knife thats behind me (on the back of the hip) means i will first off not be able to reach it easily if my arms are in any way obstructed. Secondly, i will probably not see if i drop it. It will simply not be there when i need it. It's discreet yes, but if you need to be discreet while moving around through populated areas, put it in the backpack instead and take it out when entering the woods. My preferred placement for the first knife is thus front left or right depending on if you want crossdraw or not. Remember, the knife must be equally easy to draw with left or right.

The second knife should be at the upper body. Preferably shoulder area. on my setup i have a backup knife on the left strap, just forward of the shoulder. This knife has a snap-lock so i can get it loose by grabbing and yanking it. But its extremely hard to shake loose. It's also a fairly small knife as this is a backup and not a main. The thing to remember here is why do you have your backup. In my world, it's always to be able to cut yourself loose from entanglement and/or webbing (ie. the gear). Thus it doesn't need to be a knife, it can also be a safety-cutter (like used in cars for the safety-belt) or similar. The reason it should be upper body is because thats where my arms are and the shoulder area can be accessed even if my arms are locked forward (ie. can't get to my hip). It's also close to my head which means i will be naturally careful with entangeling it.

Now. On to the third backup. And this is something you probably wont have in a scuba scenario but definately imho should have in a nature scenario. Lets now imagine that you loose your main knife. The backup is not meant for heavy carving or such, it may not even be a "proper" knife. So just pack in a 2nd main knife in the backpack. Simple and will be a lifesaver if you do not recover your main knife and should at least let you stay out for a bit more instead of trekking back to civilization muttering about that damn knife :)

As i said in the beginning of this somewhat long post, this is first and foremost applied to scubadiving but maybe some of the ideas can be applied to bushcraft aswell.

Better safe than sorry =)
/HuBBa

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
Yeah nice info there hubba.

I carry my main on my belt cross draw and kept in a very strong sheath, but don't have to worry about concealment as where I live is very rural and most people carry a knife or multitool.

My secondary knife is kept in my pocket which is just a lock knife which i use only for sparking my flint and fine cutting jobs for making shelters or stands etc

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Well, at the risk of posting pics / ideas that are common knowledge.... here goes...

I've modified my AW neck sheath to a belt carry with 7mm purlon. The handy part is, if you need to revert to neck carry etc. (and you can be bothered to unpick it!), you've got a reasonable length of cord to do it.

Sorry if I'm repeating old news! :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

And come someone please explain how I can get images into the body of the reply without having to do embarassing URL pop ups??? Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 2005_0525Image0002.JPG
    2005_0525Image0002.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 2005_0525Image1001.JPG
    2005_0525Image1001.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 352

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I use an old strimmer strap to carry a WL like a Sam Browne: half-neck and half-belt.
I keep a mini-RSK in my waistband out of hill-walking habit: I'm hoping it'll still be there after I've lost my pack falling down a ravine.
Neither is particularly uncomfortable.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
This is how I do, right or wrong, anyway.
F1, either a modified open leather sheath as neck carry or a zytel in my belt, crossdraw.
I dont get it why "normal" people think that my F1 is a big knife and strange looking in a neck sheath.
WM1, kydex neck sheath.
U2, neck carry or threaded through belt loop.
LM Fuse, testing a new position, left side, horisontal, almost in the back. Not to be in the way for Qtek and keys :)
I sent my mother walking in Abisko with a Mora 2000 with Baldrick, but it ended up in her backpack. I guess that suggesting to ducttape a knife to the left shoulderstrap wouldnt be appreciated :) It worked in the homeguard.

The advice to bring an extra "main knife" in the pack is great. Maybe I should get a F1 blade and duracoat it yellow or orange, then I know its the backup-backup or if someone "borrows" it I will know it's mine :)

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Homemade shoulder rig - knife on the left (inverted), torch and flint on the right in a pouch.

The reason for this combatesque carrying style is simple logic on my part.

1. Can't wear it comfortably on a belt when I carry a ruck, as the padded hip belt squeezes it against my side. This method also ends up with making for a tiresome draw (not experienced very often but enough to warrant my searching for a solution).

2. Can't wear it comforatbly around the neck as it's a little on the weighty side and I usually have my coat open (otherwise I sweat like a pig). Consequently the knife tends to be on show and I prefer to keep my knife out of sight - what ignorant people can't see, can't bother them.

I sure like the idea of a baldric - anyone have a pictures?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Any and all depending on which knife, what size it is, where I am, what I am doing,what else I am carrying etc.
Often the leg pocket of my trousers is home to my fixed blade, my front pocket my folder, my pack my BIG knife/machete - it all depends!
John

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm left-handed but, for reasons I can't fathom out, I've always bought knives with right-handed sheaths. As a result, I end up doing the cross-draw from a belt sheath. I might well try a neck sheath/bandolier arrangement but my current preferred knives are probably too heavy to make this a really comfortable option. What a pity: I might have to go and find myself another knife.....!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I "voted" for on the belt, cross draw as this is how I have always found I'm most comfortable with it. However, I've recently been wearing the knife on my belt on my right hand side (I'm right handed) and have found that in some ways this is more comfortable and more accessable.
Strange that I should change after so long, but believe it or not it's all down to a strange and vivid dream I had where I needed to draw my knife in a very tricky situation, and found myself automatically going for it on my right (where it had never been in reality). Soon after, I tried it that on side and found it better in many ways. Go figure :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE