how do you carry yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

favorite carry style

• on the belt (strong side)

Votes: 267 53.3%
  • onthe belt (cross draw)

Votes: 71 14.2%
  • around the neck (bandolier)

Votes: 70 14.0%
  • in a pack

Votes: 93 18.6%

• Total voters

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Sorry to appear such a fool (again) but someone mentioned earlier that they carried their knife with a 'baldrick'........what does that mean?

Thanks chaps.

Kim

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
img3277cv5.jpg

I carry this combo often. Its a large Zebu folder and a Doan tool. This paired with a 16 inch Tramontina is a great combination. Sometimes I substitute the folder for my Skookum Bush Tool in the same place.

For machetes longer than 16 inches I use a baldric or leave it on my pack. Mac

ETA - Kimbo, a baldric is a fancy name for hanging it over your shoulder on a rope. You can get fancy with your baldric and make it out of braided leather but its still just slinging it across the neck and shoulder. I do this with long blades such as a 20 inch machete to keep it out of the way of my calf when walking and so I can sit down without it tipping me over.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Fixed blade in my pack when traveling, round my neck when using, and returned to pack. SAK on lanyard with clip attached to belt loop, carried in pocket, strong side.
jon

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks Pict, much appreciated. Great youtube site by the way.

I carry mine around my neck, to keep it out the way mainly, with a backup in my pack.

Kim

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I carry mine strong side high on lower back,high as if it was tucked in my belt.Same side front hatchet or dangling sheath machete on opposite.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
for my leatherman and mora, right side belt, just behind my hip.
my big folder gets clipped into my right front pocket. and my SAK gets dropped into the same, ideally with the lanyard sticking out so I can grab it easily.
anything else sits in my pack untill I need to use it, then gets put right back (as does my mora most of the time, to be fair)

Last edited:

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
I voted on the belt strong side for preference, but due the current social climate in the UK I tend to put anything sharp out of the way in my pack.
It just saves on hassle.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I voted for around the neck, but Its really around the neck and one arm. . . similar to some that have previously posted.

I know its there, its discrete and comfortable to carry, and quicker to remove when you get back to civilization!

Drew

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Packpal carried crossdraw is my latest acquisition but turns out to be much the best carry.

I have a woodlore too, carried baldric style like everyone else, but I dislike it's tendency to slide forwards when I lean over anything. I'd rather have it tucked closer and tighter under my left arm as you would a pistol in a shoulder holster - need to experiment more. Conclusion has to be that the sheath on the Alan Wood woodlore is superbly made but it's a traditional design intended to be threaded on a belt with the knife pinched between belt and body. This is a lousy concept however good the execution.

Behind the strong side hip is the best for a folder but not a fixed blade.
Maybe a snap fastened belt loop would stop a Baldric carry item moving about (pistol shoulder holsters often have this feature, to prevent the movement you describe..)
propak_vert_shoulder_holste.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i use a length of string/cord tied to sheath with a loop at other end, pass string round waist and place sheath through loop to tension, an old sailors way of carrying knifes, like this it can be worn with the rucksack's hip-belt fastened as it hangs below hip-belt. I don't like a belt beneath hip-belt and string sits better, i hate knifes around neck.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Depends on the tool. I tend to prefer neck carry as mostly I carry a Falkniven WM1 or a Mora, both light knives. It makes the knife easily accessable and only gets in the way when doing bow-drill. But even then, it's very easy to take on and off.

Anything bigger usually goes on my belt (strong side), or in my pack.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
I carry mine in its sheath, wrapped up in a cloth and deep in my pack till I need it then its put away in the same manner.

Remember if your found with a knife that breaks the law the police will charge you and its then up to you to prove at court that you had it for a lawful purpose. I say this with a large measure of experience :27:

Not worth taking the chance chaps.

A few times Ive been going out for say a recce and go to take a knife with me and realise that I dont actually need it.

I say all this as friendly advice and not to stir controversy like so many other threads.

I am now going to sit back in my Molle armour with my kevlar helmet on.

Have a good day :)

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE