Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
TW - no credit here. If he wants to show his own exploits on Everest etc. fine, but whats his excuse for giving stupid advice and pretending he does things that he doesn't?

So long as he badges these things as fiction fine - they aren't they are fakes and trickery masquerading as reality (Walt)

So long as his programmes come badged with "this advice is stupid and dangerous and contrary to all good practice" fine - they don't (Dangerous Walt)

If he wants to gamble with his own life to "push the limits", good on him. When he gambles with other peoples to make money, he's crossed a line in my book

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
fair comments guys but my comments are based on him as an adventurer, not on the basis of his tv program which I also ranted about in a previous post :aargh4:

The world would be a boring place if nobody went exploring to test themselves or push the limits

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks to be a nice chap, but he does stupid:censored: :censored: :censored: stunts and those new to the outdoors could come a real cropper taking his teachings and practises on board. Ray and Mors are the real thing, you can't compare this guy to either, its like saying that Ainsley Harriet is a chef :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
little off topico

1) Ainsley isn't a chef?:eek:

2) Saba was 37 on Thursday (not bad going) her name means 7, she was born 7pm on 7/6/70 (nearly a full house)

errr as far as BG is concerned it's a shame. He obviously has skill, but I feel that his "show" is titled survival but his practises verge on the desperate.

Unfortunately he will dupe some impresionable mind and totally discourage others.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Give the man some credit!

After all he is the youngest person ever to climb Everest and has just flown over it in a microlight- another first.

I'm not going to get involved in the discussion about this TV series, but I would like to make a correction to the above statement which is often repeated in error.

Mr Grylls was not the youngest person to climb Everest when he summited in 1998, I believe the current record for the youngest person to climb Everest is held by the female Ming Kipa Sherpa who summited aged 15

Mr Grylls did claim to have been the youngest Britton to have summited Everest (at 23 years old when he did so in 1998, a record that no longer stands)

however it should be noted that James Allen (a British citizen born and until recently residing in UK) successfully climbed Everest in 1995 aged 22 years, a year younger and 3years earlier than Mr Grylls

see:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2001/01/23/dt11.xml

with regards to the paragliding over Everest, he did set an altitude record (although I don’t think this was officially verified and the instruments measuring the altitude apparently froze) but he didn’t actually fly over Everest, they flew higher than Everest’s summit, but several miles away from the actual mountain

still all admirable achivments

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
well, I have never really watched his t.v series so today I set about watching them on discovery. I don't think any one could really take them serious its much like Chris Ryan's tv series but with out the hunter force on his trail although it seams like he thinks they are in parts risking life and limb for nothing. i still vote him thumbs up for other things he's done. if you do wade through the bull :censored: there is some good info in parts that can be taken away. so really how can any one who has passed S.A.S selection climbed Everest and sailed the freezing waters of the arctic have a thumbs down by people come on wake up.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
TW - no credit here. If he wants to show his own exploits on Everest etc. fine, but whats his excuse for giving stupid advice and pretending he does things that he doesn't?

So long as he badges these things as fiction fine - they aren't they are fakes and trickery masquerading as reality (Walt)

So long as his programmes come badged with "this advice is stupid and dangerous and contrary to all good practice" fine - they don't (Dangerous Walt)

If he wants to gamble with his own life to "push the limits", good on him. When he gambles with other peoples to make money, he's crossed a line in my book

Red
Spot'on.

Im glad of what the pole is reflecting now :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You mean this one Rod?

Its nowhere near as ridiculous as I was expecting!

bear.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE