Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phantom

So what does everybody think of the TV survivalist Bear Grylls.
i know that some people in the past on BCUK have thought that he's a bit, well :soapbox:
but what do you think?
:argue:

cheers
Phantom

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Entertaining. But that's about all. All the good bushcraft/survival teachers I know are all about seeing what the student/viewer can do. With Bear Grylls it seem s to be all about what he can do. But he does make some entertaining TV.

P

Phantom

i've also read that thread but i honestly don't see what the problem with his is

cheers
phantom

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
>>i know that some people in the past on BCUK have thought that he's a bit, well
but what do you think?[/I]

Yeeees... but we are mostly the same people so I doubt the view will have changed
that much ;)

I think he's great and he might even keep me safer than Ray Mears. After all RM
makes Arnhemland (for example) look like a lovely place for a picnic whereas Bear
makes everything look terrifying and I half expect daleks or some monstrous
creatures to leap out from those mangrove swamps or whatever and eat him.

Given that I am ill-suited to these wild places it's best I give them a wide berth and
so I look to Bear to scare the wahoolies out of me :D - it's for my own good.

Jo

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
For TV i think its entertaining, but alot of his stuff is just so staged and nonsence, eg the knife sharping on the rock.

but as for his achievments i respect him, youngest brit to summit everest, first to lead a crew open boat accross the artic etc. my uncle has got his book so i was gonna borrow it.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Yeeees... but we are mostly the same people so I doubt the view will have changed
that much

I didn't think much of Bear Grylls when I watched Born Survivor but have to say my opinion of him has gone up sharply since hearing about his acheivements. He also came across very well on Jonathan Ross last week with his self effacing humour.

In fact :You_Rock_

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Its pretty entertaining. I found the bit where he just ate a raw, live fish particularly humerous. Kinda like survival appealing to the MTV generation.

Not somthing I take seriously, I'l stick to my buddha Ray Mears ta.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I didn't manage to watch too much of his footage as there seemed to be too many
dangers lurking around every corner and it scared me a wee bit :)

I prefer the programmes made by the fellow in my avatar but I do like Bear.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I like him. Seems like a nice fella and a bit of a game for a laugh.

If I was out with him I think I'd leave my rucksack on the other bank on purpose, just to watch him swim across the Parana infested river one more time. :eek: :D

Seriously though I've seen a couple of things that have been real 'oh yeah' moments for me.

So it obviously works at some level, even if it's at mine the lowest:lmao:

Pib

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Never trust a man who calls himself Bear........... I've only seen one episode, I always have respect for people who can do things that I can't whether its fixing my car or swimming the Nile.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I think he's great and he might even keep me safer than Ray Mears.
:eek: I dont call climbing the tallest tree in the forsest or clambering down a slippy waterfall safe or survival. Most of its showboating and not survival our out door skills.

I remember the first episode I watched, he wasted a vast amount of time and (much needed) energy climbing the tallest tree he could find, putting himself at great risk, I seriously wouldnt like to be at the top of that tree nakard and fatigued, nor would I like coming down from it.

Also the hole scaling the waterfall, sharpening his pretty sas knife on stones and oh using his knife as a axe to take down a tree with a baton made me laugh, only because he destroyed his mean looking serated edge on the spine of his blade with a stone.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I noticed that whilst watching Running with Reindeer on BBC2 the other evening that the Sami chap also used a rock to sharpen his knife then proceeded to cut into a side of reindeer like it was warm butter.

Is it really such poor technique to do this if one doesn't have access any modern sharpening kit? Or would a blunt blade be better?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
:eek: I dont call climbing the tallest tree in the forest or clambering down a slippy
waterfall safe or survival. Most of its showboating and not survival our out door skills.

:D I was being a bit facetious. All I meant was that one of them might show me a safe
or at leat 'risk managed' way to do something, the other would make it sound so scary
that I wouldn't even try. Given that I am so inexperienced it might actually be safer for
me to follow the second strategy until I get a bit of knowledge and skill!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well the new season coming up june 15 i hope its a little better.This got 5 days to get out bull if you are lost you are lost no set time to get out.He got one thing going for him money.See one thing i was tought stay put if try to find you way out not know the area you get more lost.:nana: p s build a smoke fire

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
To be honest if it came to being stuck in the middle of nowere with a knife and a water bottle i'd rather have him with me he may not be a great teacher but he gets the job done and can do things on his own.
However i was shocked when his agent told me he charges £7,000 to come out and do a talk to an air cadet group.
But in all i think hs pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE