Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
So whos going to start a thread: Who'd win in a fight between Bear Grills and Ray Mears?

:lmao:

I wonder :rolleyes: :lmao: .

Personally i prefer Ray Mears over Bear Grylls. Ray comes across to me as a much better teacher and having a hell of a lot more knowledge. I do like Bear but i'd much prefer to be stuck in the jungle with Ray :D . He is a good cook :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is turning into "The battle of the Self - publicising showboaters" isn't it?

Ain't there some bloke called something like "Mors" who does it all without camera edits and "ain't I great" posturing?

He would be my choice in a tight spot.
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm

I like Ray, Mors and Lofty.

Ray seeks to enthuse, Mors to inform and Lofty to impart solid unvarnished info.

Bear is best summed up by his knife advert

It is described as "cool" and as having an "action sheath".

My opinion rhymes with "prosser" ;)

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I noticed that whilst watching Running with Reindeer on BBC2 the other evening that the Sami chap also used a rock to sharpen his knife then proceeded to cut into a side of reindeer like it was warm butter.

Is it really such poor technique to do this if one doesn't have access any modern sharpening kit? Or would a blunt blade be better?

Matt, all this talk of being stuck in the woods with someone, I'd like to be stuck in a lavvu with the 'Running with Reindeer' presenter;)

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i think he's great. his programmes are great watching and he's obviously respected in his field and knows what he's done

while the programmes are somewhat dramatised they're still good

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt, all this talk of being stuck in the woods with someone, I'd like to be stuck in a lavvu with the 'Running with Reindeer' presenter;)

I'd like to give that one a 'HELL YEAH!' also KAE but as my missus often looks at the forums (mainly to find out what I'm planning/buying :rolleyes: ;) ) then I will simply give you my blessing on that matter :approve: :lmao:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
My view I think when it comes down to it Bear Grylls isn't a bushcrafter certainly as far as the current series has shown. Even to peg him as a 'survivalist expert' isn't really a true description. Perhaps a more fitting title would be Extreme Situation Adrenaline Junky which is the opposite end of the 'outdoors pursuits' spectrum as bushcraft.

He seems an OK guy from what I've seen so far and good luck to him.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
He's just sort of the old style 'adventurer', off to chart uncharted lands etc.

He does know quite a bit though, so you can't really knock him to much.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
LOL - clear, concise and to the point Red :D

Now tell us what you really mean :D

Phil.

Okay Phil,

The man deliberately makes the outdoors off-putting and scary. Yeah cheers Bear, it was already hard enough to get modern day kids out an about

He gives plain stupid advice like "drink this unboiled water it'll be okay" and then vomits through the night. Pillock.

Finally he tells lies. "look at me descend this water fall on a vine". Yes thank you Bear.

1 you would be mad to do that in any real survival situation - the risk of injury is absurd

2 He clearly agreed which is why he wore that artfully concealed climbing harness and safety rope

The guy is a total Walt. I hate people who make money by putting other people in jeopardy. I truly hope he is held to account for his stupid risk taking and foolish advice before a tragedy results.

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yes...It could set a bad example to other people. He unnessesarily puts his life in danger all the time.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Give the man some credit!

after all he is the youngest person ever to climb Everest and has just flown over it in a microlight- another first. I wouldn't say those feats are without danger but that's just why I personally like him. we need intrepid souls to push the limits.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I nearly bumped into him (literally) coming under London Bridge on Monday evening with all his mates hooning about in his R. I. B called 'Bear All'. No pleasantries there, not even an acnowlegement. I'm afraid it just made me cross. :(
So not a supporter here either, just another arrogant little p***ck in a speedboat. For all his 'adventures' to me he is just a product of the public school system. As Red has said 'a total walt'.
Rant over.

Swyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE