Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
How do you think they cook lobster in high class restaurants?
I am well aware of the cooking methods for lobster however a more humane practice these days is to drive a knife through the head and split it in two immediately prior to cooking. I shoot and fish and my kids are under no illusion where their food comes from but the acts portrayed on Bears' programme I feel were deliberately staged for shock viewing.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bear was indeed a member of 23 SAS, so we really should'nt knock his military background or achievments. His programmes however seem just like one long outrageous publicity stunt. The last word in that sentence by the way, also rhymes with an expletive a senior CO in a similar unit used after viewing his last programmes.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Only saw a couple of half programmes of Born survivor"recently, but seen the discussion here and discussed him at work several times.
It is fiction and entertainment nothing more. He is pretending to do a lot of the stuff he says he is doing. A couple of examples, he alledgedly abseiled from a helicoptor, I am pretty certain(for several reasons) it was a stuntmen with bear just shown starting and finishing an ab. He followed a gorge through the water and alledgedly swam under a log jam, when he came out he stood up and the water wasn't knee deep!

He is no more an survival/bushcraft expert than a weather girl is a meteorologist!

He may have the skills and knowhow, as a weather girl could actually be a qualified meteorologist, but (most) weather girls got their jobs more for the way they look rather than the way they think!:rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bear was indeed a member of 23 SAS, so we really should'nt knock his military background or achievments. His programmes however seem just like one long outrageous publicity stunt. The last word in that sentence by the way, also rhymes with an expletive a senior CO in a similar unit used after viewing his last programmes.
You owe me a keyboard and a mouthful of beer Jon :D

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Well I've held off on this for a while to read what others say and to see if anyone could give even 1 good reason for me to change my view.

But. . .

Frankly the blokes a walking health hazard!

He (supposedly) climbs when it's safer to walk around.
He RUNS thru potentially hazardous forest.
He tells us that we shouldn't eat the rotting flesh of the carcass but then proceeds to eat the maggots that were crawling around in that bacteria filled mush, raw.
He gathers water from a stream and drinks it without boiling (even tho he has the equipment to do so) and spends the night puking and s****ing, and then goes on about the need to thoroughly boil freshly fallen snow.

The list could go on and on.

Born survivor? Absolutely. . .he'd have to be to still be alive after doing half of the idiotic stuff he's done. He's broken his back?. . .Not surprised. Completed SAS training?. . .not surprised. . .they probably tried to kill him but he refused to die!

What we have here is a bloke not using his real name. . . .

Captain Scarlet!

Seriously tho how often do members here think twice about giving info on medical techniques or on which fungi are safe to eat or poisonous? I'd hope all, because to give out the wrong info and have someone make a mistake could be life threatening!!
The same applies here. If you see a programme called Born survivor purporting to teach you how to survive and giving no disclaimer as to the fictitious nature of the survival techniques involved in the programme, then it's reasonable to assume that some (maybe more naive/youngsters), viewers mite try to copy him.
It can't be said that just because It's been on TV that It's purely entertainment as this would mean that the news at ten and anything by RM would have to fall into the same catagory.

I don't mean to knock the bloke, he's doing ok and has done some impressive stuff but, these shows. . sooner or later will cost lives! and no matter how much money he makes or how famous he becomes it won't bring back the kid who died trying to climb down a waterfall.

Kev

Rod

On a new journey
If it is any consolation I understand that where he did have a fairly full motivational speaking diary, he doesn't any more due to his 'culinary exploits'. Folks will vote with their feet as it were. He has become something of a monster since he has climbed Everest - due to media exposure.

Also 23 SAS as I understand it are the territorials. May seem an odd question/bit tongue in cheek, but how do you have part-time special forces?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
how do you have part-time special forces?

They do 2 days a week behind enemy lines and the other 3 days working from home.

Seriously though, its pretty much like any other TA unit - they have to keep up a certain set of skills via drill nights, exercises etc.
They're much more likely to get deployed than a lot of other TA units, particularly in the current climate.

TA units are only part time when they're not in active service. Once they get mobilised they're just like anyone else.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Oddly the army site mentions some greats, but not grills ????

Wonder why he was left out ????

Army superheroes

Sir Ranulph Fiennes BT OBE
Described in 1984 as the "World's Greatest Living Explorer" by the Guinness Book of Records, Sir Fiennes served with the Royal Scots and the SAS before going on to lead some of the world's most celebrated polar and desert expeditions ever accomplished by man.

Jackie Young
A real high flyer, Jackie Young (formerly Jackie Smith) was to find her true life's passion through the Army - jumping out of planes. The only person ever to achieve ten dead centres, Jackie has won 37 gold medals, 9 silvers and the 1978 World Championship. Now 58, she plans to jump again this year with the famous Parachute Regiment Freefall Team, the Red Devils.

Brigadier John Hunt
Officer of the King's Royal Rifle Corps, chief instructor at the Commando Mountain and Snow Warfare school and, under the British Army in 1953, expedition leader of man's first successful ascent of Mt Everest.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
[QUOTE0]

23 SAS [/QUOTE]

he was member of 21 SAS - So was MP David Davis - :lmao:

He passed selection for 22 - but failed continutaion into 22 - hence the TA regiment.

21 havent done anything really active since the 60's ( according to my rather fluid and unreliable sources i have to note )

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm sure he did a documentary before the Born Survivor stuff where he joined the Foreign Legion.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My wife got me one of his books from the library.
I never got around to reading it as I hurt myself laughing at the pratish photos of a man desparate to look the part and yet only look as if he was trying to hut himself...
Scimmed the words - hurt myself again.
I wonder what would happen if I actually read and used the info in the book?
I got more useful survival info, which I still refer to, from Enid Blyton - no joke!
The man is a pill hook!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE