Article: Alternatives to paracord - an overview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
If it interests you..

Coated dyneema will hold a prusik, even the thin sub 1mm stuff, but you either have to use a thinner diameter cord for the 'loop' (which is how a prusik should be done anyway) or add an extra wrap or two. Been using them for years without failure, including on a structural ridge line (1.5mm marlow) loaded with over 65kg static, plus shock load.

Once the PU coat starts to wear off it will hold lighter loads via prusik without the extra wraps / smaller cord. So you can do it the 'improper /lazy way' for guys and non structural loads if you let the rope bed in. Under use this will happen rather quickly, the coating does not truly bond to the dyneema and it rubs off remarkably quickly if used.

A knot that won't hold under proper load (if it interests you), regardless of coat, is a becket hitch. Even a locked double becket will slip on 3mm cord @ 65kg. The only way around that is to use different cord for the loop, preferably webbing straps. Or get sheathed dyneema.

Again, this might interest you. Marlow and samson also sell thinner braids in a decent range of colours at a good price. I have 1.5mm marlow excel in black right here, fairly sure it was sub 60p a meter. Think i got it from argos [via ebay]. I also have thinner diameters, iro 1mm, in yellow [zing-it and marlow] and grey [lash-it].

I do think that sheathed dyneema would suit most people better as a general purpose cord though. It takes knot's easily and can be braided just as well as standard hollow core dyneema. It's strong, light, comes in a range of colours and is less prone to debris ingress and abrasion of the dyneema 'core'. It's also comparably priced.

Last edited:

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
Interesting read! Thanks for all the info. I'm about to buy my first tarp, so need to be thinking about cord sooner rather than later.. ;)

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Good article, thanks. I was put off using dyneema for most 'camp jobs' because of the lack of stretch. I actually like the fact that nylon paracord has some 'give'. I guess my reasoning is that if there is some stretch in the guy line, high winds are less likely to bust my tarp. Horses for courses I guess.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Flak-linor.jpg

Yet another alternative is to contact a factory and have them make the lines for you, with the specifications, quality
and colour of your choice. That way the different lines will have exactly the same colour and the same structure.

Here are 300 m in 3 mm, 300 m in 2 mm and 350 m in 1 mm thickness.

Tent%20pegs%202_zpsn7ws9qfl.jpg

If you want to, and aren't too bothered about weight, you can paint your tent pegs in a colour that's similar or identical
to that of your lines.

From the top, a Hilleberg snow stake that has gotten a white line, with a soft ground stake and a y-peg that has been painted.

And finally a robust and cheap alternative: an ordinary 6 inch nail, used as a tent peg. Heavy, indestuctable and at a very
reasonable price.

You choose which pegs to use depending on season, terrain and how much you want to carry.

character0175.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE