Wow, inflation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Attended the Shooting Show in Harrogate at the weekend and purchased two venison burgers with cheese and was charged £27 ……£27 pounds…

Mark up on the food for any festival event can add ££££'s to normal street prices.

Hope you savoured them! :)

Reactions: Droidy

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Think that is bad, bought two small childrens pizzas, and two adults pizzas, nothing fancy, one bottle of water and got charged £92, and a compulsory 10% service charge for eating outside on a bench.....not pleased

In comparison those burgers were a bargain

• Wow
Reactions: Toddy

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Think that is bad, bought two small childrens pizzas, and two adults pizzas, nothing fancy, one bottle of water and got charged £92, and a compulsory 10% service charge for eating outside on a bench.....not pleased

In comparison those burgers were a bargain
Where was that.?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
One of the reasons I rarely eat out, the other is, if I made it I know what I’m eating!

If folks are happy to pay those prices then it’ll stay the same, or increase!

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Eating out is now reserved for special occasions, the rise in prices post covid are just ridiculous. I know that increased energy costs will have an impact but there seems to be no end to it.
HF

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Local restaurant charges £9.00 for a bowl of soup and a bread roll.
More than double pre covid price.
Even a cup of tea is £2.50.
Go to the tearoom and have a pot of tea for one, plus a slice of cake, and say goodbye to £ 8.00 per person.
Fish and chips for two, are two quid short of £20.
A meal for one at the local tai restaurant is more than a whole weeks food budget.
Ridiculous!
Eating out comprises of a home made picnic nowadays.

Reactions: Robbi and Kepis

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had lunch with a friend last week.
My friend had a latte, and two slices of french toast with four slices of bacon.
I had a pot of tea and a plate of mozzarella sticks with a bit of salad. We shared a small bowl of chips.
The total was what I thought a very reasonable £15.
I left a couple of pounds in their tip pot, so total still under twenty quid.
Good place, happy to recommend. The David Livingstone centre in Blantyre.

We went shopping thereafter in East Kilbride and had a coffee mid afternoon......which was ridiculously priced at £3.25 a cup ! :rolleyes:
We'll not be going there again.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Prices and the ability to pay them seems to have returned to the same situation things were at when I was younger and eating out was a special occasion, where I live there are not a lot of places to eat out but when I do I'm shocked at the increases and also the portion sizes seem to have gone down...

Reactions: MrEd and Toddy

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I do believe that's why God invented flasks and sandwiches. When I used to compete a lot in shooting my son and I would cook the food first and then put it in a flask, hotdog sausages are suitable for this, then cut the buns later and use a hot sausage from the flask. Saved us a fortune at the motorway services.

Si

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Interesting thought... I'm not old enough to know what it was like "before", but I remember growing up and my folks would go out for a meal now and again, we'd go out as a family for meals at a guess, definitely once a month, there was a big expat social scene involved in that... but it seems to me that since adulthood, I've noticed amongst colleagues/friends etc that eating out was deemed more as a "we can't be bothered to cook tonight" thing, rather than a special treat.

Has this increase in prices returned us to a natural order that eating out should be the result of a 'want', rather than the result of 'not want'?

Sadly prices have increased for business immensely, ingredients are ridiculous....

...all that said, festivals are astronomically expensive for businesses.. They also need to make enough to counter the risk of the next festival being a total washout...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Broadstairs in Kent, a pizza chain.

Blimey, whereabouts in Broadstairs was that!?
That's Broadstairs punching well above it's weight, right there.

Yesterday I had a 99 cone with a flake and red syrup.
It was £1.50, which is the price it was the last time I bought one, which was donkey's years ago.
As I sauntered up to the ice cream van I was wondering what inflated price it was going to be and how much change I would get from a fiver. I was stunned to see it was still more or less the price it was the last time I had one.
I asked my partner if she wanted one but she said 'no' and then proceeded to badger me for some when I came in with it.
I did my Eddie Murphy sketch for her...

Reactions: MartinK9

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I do believe that's why God invented flasks and sandwiches. When I used to compete a lot in shooting my son and I would cook the food first and then put it in a flask, hotdog sausages are suitable for this, then cut the buns later and use a hot sausage from the flask. Saved us a fortune at the motorway services.

Si
I do that with something called a ‘sho flask’ I got cheap on offer with NHS discounts ages ago - works really well, I leave them in the hot water. I use it for all sorts - porridge, stew etc.

My wife and I used to eat out atleast once a week (be that dinner, or a brunch or a coffee/cake) now we just go about onice a month tops for a Sunday roast at the local - it’s well expensive now

Reactions: Big Si

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
During the winter, the local tea room did half price for local pensioners on a Tuesday, so it was reasonable for my friend and I to have a regular lunch meet. Now the tourists are back, they have stopped, so no more Tuesday lunches for us.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks all for not turning this into a political rant and just keeping to observations and experiences.

I found fuel at a good price this morning, I was pleased with £1.37.9 for diesel, makes a big difference to the tank from the £1.99 of a few months ago!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thanks all for not turning this into a political rant and just keeping to observations and experiences.

I found fuel at a good price this morning, I was pleased with £1.37.9 for diesel, makes a big difference to the tank from the £1.99 of a few months ago!
It's 163.9p here where I am......that's it, I am moving to Wales. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE