Which willow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Hello all,

I'm a little confused, as to which willow everyone mentions to use as a hearth/spindlie for firelighting???

Does it matter which? Is it weeping willow or the willow commonly found in damp places which is usually coppised? :banghead:

Shed some light on this for me folks,

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
white willow is the one you are looking for (salix alba) works well i have found for both spindle and harth

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I would have thought that most types of willow would work with a bowdrill as long as the piece of wood used is dead and dry and not too soft/rotten. I cut some hearth boards from a dead goat willow the other day and am looking forward to trying them out.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Blf? Heh? What? What kind of willow??? :confused:

I don't know. I just use twig the right thickness and length for a drill (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, 5-10 inches long with no shoots).

Googling the Danish name (Hoop willow/Båndpil/Bun peel), it should be Salix Viminalis.

Hope this'll help.

Happy twirling!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE