Homemade Fatwood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Hi does anyone else make their own fatwood (no rude jokes please) , back during the pandemic it went sky high in price so i figured ok sod it i make my own , i got a bottle of pure gum trups it must be pure not a thinned stuff or white spirit , to that i added some pine rosin or pine sap , i brought a large bag and just crushed it to near powder then added a few spoonfuls to he half jar of the turps i let it dissovle now in warm weather it does so fast but i then set about chopping up some pallets and some pine bed slats , i found 4 inch to be ideal i then chopped to kindling thickness and popped htem in the jar leave to soak for a week you can do sooner but i like a good soak , i then take them out and in to a empty jar to drain then lay them out on a flat box let the mair dry then i store them in air tight popcorn buckets again recycling hehehe my wifes excuse for eating more lol , i have a few buckets now and i find i pop 3 sticks in the bottom of the chimnea i put my faggots in forst then push 3 sticks in to them light them like a candle at a slight angle means they burns nice and i can say without fail they light fast i mean no messing one flick of the bbq lighter and they are away i have tried them feathered and again once a spark or a flame is near they burn fast and for a long time , i have real fatwood to which i turn in to dustwell shavings and will keep in tins air tight again but no point usingthe best stuff for a basic fire lighter , people might say a lot fo messing round but if you are trying to keep your hands busy it is fun and also again uses up rubbish that most throw in landfill , just check the pallet wood you use is not treated just use raw wood as i call it and your away .

Ok well just a little money saver idea and also to save the broken pallets going in landfill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE