Using and maintaining a European-style Scythe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Notes from an amateur user.
Nomenclature; a scythe is the tool with a long handle for two hands. Yes, the thing usually shown carried by Death <sigh, if you own a scythe you have to put up with juvenile jokes about death). A sickle (or grass hook) is the short thing that used to be on the soviet flags.

European-style scythe's have a thin, soft blade that you 'peen' when the edge is damaged and needs reworking.

They come in a variety of blade shapes and sizes, from something short suitable for cutting willow withies, to very long blades meant for mowing or cutting grain.

I have a 50cm 'Fux' ditch blades, suitable for use over rough ground. It will cut grass and brambles equally well. Based on my experience, I say to resist the temptation to get a long blade. You'll rue your decision when cutting over rough ground, or on a slope. A shorter blade still cuts well, it just takes a lot longer.

Bought it because I wanted something other than a strimmer that I could grab for 15min when getting a lunch break (I work from home, and am usually desparate to get away from the desk).

Use
Set it up correctly. I'm not going to repeat the instructions provided by places such as the https://www.scythecymru.co.uk/.

If you are mowing, then the blade slides over the ground. Don't hack into the grass, you are taking slices off it. Imagine the area you are cutting split into thin rectangles. You will be cutting along the length of the rectangle, so face along it and take a slice a few inches deep. You want the edge to be sliding along what you are cutting. If right handed, the cuttings will get pushed to the left. Always cut so the cuttings are swept away, you don't want to be working through the stuff you've just cut.

For grass, it makes a huge difference if the grass is wet. In our wet climes, that is a big advantage over a mower; you can easily scythe on a wet day.

Sharpening
The scythe needs an edge unlike other tools. If you sharpen stuff, you'll be used to grinding off the 'wire edge'. Not with a scythe. That is exactly what you want on your scythe edge. The edge is drawn out by peening so that the last 3mm or so are as thin as paper. A few strokes with a medium coarse stone draws a lovely wire edge off that, and the wire edge cuts grass better than a straight razor. Touch up the edge every 5-10 min or so, it only takes a minute.

Peening looks like some mystic art, but turns out to be fairly easy. Decent eyesight helps (I have to squint with my face 4" from the blade). You can get special anvils that have a mandrel which hammers the right profile, or use a proper one (thin rectangular anvil with rounded top). I bought the mandrel type and wish I'd got the proper job, it would be a bit quicker. With the mandrel, you just put the blade in and hammer, it almost slides itself. Maybe 10min start to finish for a 50cm blade.

Natural enemies of the scythe blade
Despite being thin and fragile, the blade will survive hitting debris remarkably well. Stones, even boulders will only ding or chip the blade at one point and that doesn't really matter much.
The *real* enemy of the scythe is fencing wire. Catch your blade on some wire and you'll be gnashing your teeth. Hard fencing wire doesn't chip the blade, but instead rolls it up. If that happens, you have no option but to file off the damaged part and peen it out again.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmmm.
We had a couple of traditional scythes with the double curved “snath” (shaft) at Delamere Forest (1965). I did not enjoy using them no matter how I twisted and slid the grips, but men three times my age made light work of them for clearing light undergrowth.
I remember a new blade being sent to the blacksmith in Norley to be kinked. As well as peening, the blade was given a wave along the edge. After a bit of use it developed a wavy leading edge appropriate for bracken, rough grass and light regen.

The blades were stored for winter wrapped in hessian but one old guy told me that in days gone by they’d hang the blade in a damson tree over winter.

Reactions: Toddy

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
In Norway the peening of scythes hasn`t been done (or was uncommon) since late 18th century, when the smiths began making laminated blades.
In the 60`s non laminated, mass produced blades was introduced, but the steel was of a type that was more suitable for sharpening on a stone, not peening.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
The purpose of peening isn't to draw out the blade edge as such, this is merely a by product of the peening.

The peening is "cold" forging the blade edge, hardening it (whilst leaving the spine soft) in order to have an edge that will hold it's sharpness well.

Grinding (sharpening) the un-peened edge can get as sharp an edge but cannot hold it as the metal is too soft and too easily damaged.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm, Stonepark, I think there is a bit of both.

It is certain that the drawing out of the metal is required, to get a thin enough edge that maintains a wire edge. The drawing out repairs the edge - it is really common to get nicks and blunted parts. Nicks should be filed out before they become cracks and then they'll be hammered out in the peening process.

the edge being soft has advantages; it bends- and deforms rather than cracking when you hit stones, or a root.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE