What is your one luxury item?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
We all try to go lighter and use less kit. But we all have things and comforts we won't sacrifice..
For me it depends on the situation:

On the hills I can't live without my MSR reactor stove... One liter of boiling water in 3 minutes, normally even before you can get everything ready for it. I have tried titanium stoves, multifuel stoves, meth stoves. But your party waiting for you to have a damn noodle soup is not fun. With this I can have my dehydrated meal in minutes and in peace as every one else is enjoying a hot cuppa.

If it's an overnighter I can't live without my Sea to Summit pillow. I have tried all that clothing in a stuff sack tricks but nothing comes close to this pillow, especially in the hammock.

And for extended stays like the Bushmoot I won't go without my electric razor. I absolutely hate faffing about with mirror, shaving foam, cold water etc. 2 minutes and I'm done hassle free.

And can we keep the glamping out as I don't want cpt Badger stealing this thread :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sometimes it is a hip flask with either port of sloe gin in it.

Usually it is my hammock chair. Comfort at the camp when others are perched on little stools or sat on rocks. Bliss.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - what is an essential part of the trip and what is a luxury?
An awful lot of what some folk call "luxury" is what I call a "Basic Need" - all the more as I get older...
Pure luxury for me is my home made hammock ... the steel spreaders make it crazy heavy and bulky - but I cannot be bothered binning them and finding suitable poles on site... so it is "Luxury" as it is inconvenient to take in but is ideal for comfort once there...
If I ditched the spreaders and found poles on site it would become a basic need!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
For me its my small homemade peanut pillow. Its, ermm, shaped like a peanut. It goes on all my camping ,travelling trips, on planes,trains and coaches it goes behind my neck or up against the window if I want a snooze.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My silk sleeping bag liner is my main indulgence. I know that it has a practical use too but it just feels so luxurious. Other than that, my 10x25 binoculars are a luxury because, in packing them, I know that I will have the time to watch nature or scope out a mountainside which shows that I have time to spend doing so - a real luxury!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It has to be my Exped synmat combined wth my army cot gives me the most comfy sleep going also my folding chair for sitting by the fire :)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Apart from the "bit's" I normally take - my kindle is my luxury..... I always like a good read before I finally nod off to sleep :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, if it's base camp camping then the biggest luxury would be my Frontier stove. I've all sorts of toasty sleeping bags but sitting 'round the stove feeling the heat radiate off it and the crackle and pop of the wood burning inside is pure luxury. And it gives oddles of hot water for endless brews and a big soppy hot water bottle. (And the dedicated bag that a mate just gave me for my birthday means that it'll be easier to port around with me (Cheers Belzeebob!)

If travelling then it has to be either a my Kindle or a good book. I don't sleep much so lying down and keeping quiet in camp is made all the better if I can wander off into a world held within the pages of a book.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Unfortunately for me now it's a large li-ion battery and my CPAP machine. Bushcraft and I have had to become distant friends these days. Since becoming disabled, it is just not pos to sleep out under the stars :( I need a mobility scooter to get anywhere more then 20 yds. Meds and power for cpap etc.
I miss waking up to the birds singing and the wind in the trees. Ah well such is life. I have memories.
alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE