Kit variance with activity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Booked two weeks and a single week off at each end of August for family holiday. We've had a few years cycle touring as a family of 3 one started at 3.5yo and is now 10.5yo. With covid breaks I might add.

Us adults have wildcanped and backpacker many times before kid. One in out of the way places.

It's got me thinking whether there is much different between fully loaded cycle touring and fully loaded backpacking. Obviously creditcard touring by foot or bike is different again. If anyone has done multi day trips by both ways, indeed by other modes of transport too, what do you think is the difference, if any?

I'm wondering because we need to plan our route and kit. Cycle touring we take a trangia with gas conversion and meths burner. When we backpacker before meeting we both used various stoves, me more than my now partner. I used can top stove, honey stove with meths burner, Whitebox stove, caldera come, AGG cookset, etc. I went tarp and bivvy route, she went double skin force 10 ul tent. I went very minimalist when backpacking, got my kit into 20l alpkit Gourdon sack on occasion. I once went about 6.5kg base load with food for a week and a 1.5 litre bladder of water too!

Cycle touring weight isn't too critical but bulk is not great. Once moving a good tourer copes with weight, certainly my recumbent did.

Then you have the added young un factor. That's like a whole other activity in itself.

I'm rambling here but I'm basically curious as to views on how kit lists for moving trips via different modes or mixes of transport changes for people.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm rambling here but I'm basically curious as to views on how kit lists for moving trips via different modes or mixes of transport changes for people.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I definitely pack differently depending on mode of transport, activity and terrain. Seeing as you have so many options available to you, I'd go for lightest option that still does the job reliably for the cooking, but allow yourself a bit more space and redundancy for the accommodation. Bug protection is a must for instance esp with kid and dog!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The further you travel under your own steam, the lighter you want your load to be. Not just for the obvious reason that it's physically strenuous to carry more weight but also because your mental focus becomes more on the travelling and less on the activities when you stop.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've predominantly travelled either on foot or in my van. Two completely different modes of transport, but I am very well acquainted with both.

How does my kit differ between the two? For the main part, it doesn't. I use the same clothing, the same types of food, the same knives, I carry the same axe, because I am familiar with it all. The majority of it is tried and tested over years of use. I trust it.

What does differ is the amount. In the van, I can carry more food, some more or warmer clothes.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldtimer

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Google Keep is your friend. I've generated multiple lists with checkboxes for each and every trip, modifying and curating the contents with variations for the same trip to account for differing weather's, times of year and the company.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
As a five year old, I always had my Daisy 1000 shot RED RYDER lever action BB gun watching ‘Oaters’
On the TV
Now, I hold my Bushcraft knife watching Naked And Embarrassed
Survivor etc.
my kit varies by Econich. California holds so many, a short drive can demand desert kit or snowpack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE