What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
Indeed bud :D I went to door to get post and saw a big white package in his hand with the MLD stamp in corner. Suffice to say I nearly did a sex wee!

No didnt get stung so that was a big bonus! :)

Lucky man. I just had to pay £75 to customs for my hammock. Far from impressed. That has definitely soured the arrival of it. That brings the total cost of the blackbird to £275. :(

Good to hear that you didn't get stung also. Enjoy the new purchase. :)

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Lucky man. I just had to pay £75 to customs for my hammock. Far from impressed. That has definitely soured the arrival of it. That brings the total cost of the blackbird to £275. :(

Why was it so much ? Was it a 'made in China' duty ? :eek:

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham

Got a horrible feeling most of that would have been "inspection fees". Been stung with those before.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Why was it so much ? Was it a 'made in China' duty ? :eek:

It's so much because of price of item(s) and postage cost as you get charged VAT and Duty on both (If over £15 value) as far as I know. You also in most cases get charged a £8 handling fee by RM/Parcelforce depending on which courier is used in original country.

(btw these fees are only added if buying from non-EU country).

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
It's so much because of price of item(s) and postage cost as you get charged VAT and Duty on both (If over £15 value) as far as I know. You also in most cases get charged a £8 handling fee by RM/Parcelforce depending on which courier is used in original country.

(btw these fees are only added if buying from non-EU country).

Thanks mate :)

I know it's 20pc VAT + Duty (for my Kifaru stuff it's 3pc for bags and 5pc on sundries) + 8 quid for go-faster-stripes for streamlining the red carts --- it's just that it didn't add up, unless duty was really high on that item (iirc some goods of Chinese manufacture are around 50pc), so I was a bit stumped trying to de-mystify the process, but thankfully FK's kindly helped with the anomaly, in that, if the exporting agent fails to declare the contents, value, and European code, then the items may be spot-checked by customs, and if they discover that it's something being imported and not declared, they'll charge you for the check itself as well as the appropriate taxes.

:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

It'd need to be some kind of superhammock for me to pay£275 for one!............Outrageous! I hope you enjoy your hammock, Switch :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding

275 beans for a hammock you can only view your environment from one side in ! Hope you sleep well in it. I sold my UK equivalent simply because I like to be able to have the option of being able to view all around. 275 for a cul-de-sac Is beyond crazy imo .

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
275 beans for a hammock you can only view your environment from one side in ! Hope you sleep well in it. I sold my UK equivalent simply because I like to be able to have the option of being able to view all around. 275 for a cul-de-sac Is beyond crazy imo .

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

Lift your head up you lazy sod :D

I suppose it depends on how you lay in it. PLus the new version as netting under zip line aswell so you can see even more. If you want to look out of shelf side you can just slide over to right and pull it down ;)

Tbh, I much prefer the cocoon feeling in a hammock. It makes me feel more secure and less likely to turn over in sleep and be woken by a sudden face plant to floor lol.

Last edited:

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
Yeah, exactly it. If you're lucky your package is let through if you aren't you pay duty plus any other charge they can think of. :(

Yes. I think only around £40 of the fee was import duty and the rest was handling and inspection fees. My carabiners also seem to have gone missing. To be honest the amount for the hammock is ridiculous and not what I set out to pay however I'm glad I've finally got it and also avoided waiting for ukhammocks.

I seem to have missed the multi quote reply here however on the subject of the hammock I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of view for comfort and greater versatility. The blackbird is the xlc so the view is far better than the standard blackbird. My DD hammock served me well and was great for the price however it does have its flaws and after trying out the xlc from a friend the decision was an easy one. The greater comfort and features such as storage and top cover were a winner. I can't wait to use it next week. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought a couple of these today, just to see how long they last, if they do okay I'm thinking about leaving the Zebralight at home in future

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE