What wildlife did you spot today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
yesterday evening i bumped into an agouti (= a rodent about the size of a hare, guatussa in local spanish): brazil nut trees rely on them for propagation as they're the only animal capable of gnawing through their rock-hard outer shell, no brazil nuts here but a relative called "olla de mono" (=monkey pot (tree)) -- as they're not always fruiting and only grew occasionally higher up in the jungle i haven't tried them, yet...

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
yesterday evening i bumped into an agouti (= a rodent about the size of a hare, guatussa in local spanish): brazil nut trees rely on them for propagation as they're the only animal capable of gnawing through their rock-hard outer shell, no brazil nuts here but a relative called "olla de mono" (=monkey pot (tree)) -- as they're not always fruiting and only grew occasionally higher up in the jungle i haven't tried them, yet...
interesting, not as exotic but briilliant. i heard my first cuckoo of the year.

last night i had a small owl (ca. size of a large pigeon) sitting chest high on a branch in front of me when looking for foam frogs (up to 7" long and rather tasty but tricky to get close enough) -- no idea about species
sometimes you can see large owls in the trees, especially around full moon. there's a local vine called "corazon de mono" (="monkey heart") due to the shape of its seeds which can be turned unto a whistle -- on multiple occasions i got answers from the local owl population :cool:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
last night i had a small owl (ca. size of a large pigeon) sitting chest high on a branch in front of me when looking for foam frogs (up to 7" long and rather tasty but tricky to get close enough) -- no idea about species
sometimes you can see large owls in the trees, especially around full moon. there's a local vine called "corazon de mono" (="monkey heart") due to the shape of its seeds which can be turned unto a whistle -- on multiple occasions i got answers from the local owl population :cool:
i use a bird whistle and can do an incredible tawny owl. a human would never know the difference but i have not had a tawny reply to me, the great horned eagle owl can be found all the way from the Canadian arctic to the bottom of south america, its the largest in the americas and quite common. i am guessing its that. great sightings as ever. have you got any photos you could post. x

Reactions: William_Montgomery

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
A SparrowHawk flew right by my living room window this morning if that counts, fantastic to see it adjust its tail and wings as it twisted and turned around the garden features, amazingly agile flyers.

Reactions: William_Montgomery
i use a bird whistle and can do an incredible tawny owl. a human would never know the difference but i have not had a tawny reply to me, the great horned eagle owl can be found all the way from the Canadian arctic to the bottom of south america, its the largest in the americas and quite common. i am guessing its that. great sightings as ever. have you got any photos you could post. x
thanks for the info reg. owl species! sadly the tropical environment (=humidity) has killed my beloved "Fuji finepix 5600" camera (and gets it's waterproof smaller sibling as well...), so my only camera is now my phone which is mostly turned off. and i still haven't figured out how to post pics on the forum (=as i'm technically challenged) :-(

Reactions: Robbi

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Not really other than they’re far more common in the urban setting than we all realise, more than I realised for sure and I’ve seen a few. Amazing creatures, brutally efficient hunters and beautiful too.
i can add some facts if thats ok. the true hawks always have the prefix accipiter in their scientific name. there are just 2 species in the uk. the sparrowhawk and the goshawk. x

Last edited:

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Had one try to take one of my pigeons right in front of me a couple of weeks ago. I was stood under the barn watching them strutting on the aviary roof when down came the hawk and grabbed Russell, the smallest of the flock, and tried to make off with him! A few expletives from me and he was gone, pigeons scattered but intact.
On a lighter note, saw a goldfinch perched on the tip of a young ash selfset in the garden today. It's the little things.:happy:

Reactions: CLEM
two evenings ago i had a pair of red eyes approaching my shelter at night: they belonged to a large Opossum("zorro pelon", meaning "bald fox" in local spanish BUT they're NOT foxes!) , America's only marsupial. some folks claim their meat to be tasty but you've to get past the rather strong smell first...
the Possum(s) of Australia and (introduced) Aotearoa are a different animal (and taste good, too :p )

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've just spent two weeks on and around the Norfolk Broads, lots of Herons and Marsh Harriers. A few Chinese Water Deer and a Fallow Doe, Brown Rats and Brown Hares. Reed Buntings, A Greater Spotted Woodpecker, a Tree Creeper and probably a hundred or so Grey Seals on the beach at Horsey Gap. But, the most exciting things, and firsts for me was a 'fly by' of three Bittens and also three Cranes. I'd heard both of these birds before but never seen either of them. Despite many hours spent looking for Bittens over many years. Very happy to finally seen Bittens, one would have been enough, three was a just amazing.

Reactions: forrestdweller

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I've just spent two weeks on and around the Norfolk Broads, lots of Herons and Marsh Harriers. A few Chinese Water Deer and a Fallow Doe, Brown Rats and Brown Hares. Reed Buntings, A Greater Spotted Woodpecker, a Tree Creeper and probably a hundred or so Grey Seals on the beach at Horsey Gap. But, the most exciting things, and firsts for me was a 'fly by' of three Bittens and also three Cranes. I'd heard both of these birds before but never seen either of them. Despite many hours spent looking for Bittens over many years. Very happy to finally seen Bittens, one would have been enough, three was a just amazing.
Brilliant sightings. Thank you. Can you add any interesting facts for us?

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Woke up to a treecreeper outside the tent yesterday morning, quietly going about it's business before the rain kicked in.

Apparently they have particularly strong tail feathers which they use to brace themselves against the tree trunk whilst foraging for insects and such. Though, it only works on the way up.

Reactions: mikehill

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Woke up to a treecreeper outside the tent yesterday morning, quietly going about it's business before the rain kicked in.

Apparently they have particularly strong tail feathers which they use to brace themselves against the tree trunk whilst foraging for insects and such. Though, it only works on the way up.
Thats a good fact, Its said that tree creepers always go up and nut hatches go down. Not strictly true but a nice fake fact. x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE