What anticeptic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Manuka honey's a bit expensive, but would a wee pot of it not be a dual purpose addition to someone's kit? Normal honey being used as a wound treatment for a hell of a long time, and the manuka based ones being anti-bacterial.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Problem is SW is that tonsillitis can be viral or bacterial so your 'successful treatment' may be a case more of 'time being a healer' as opposed to the turmeric and milk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillitis is worth you looking at.

I think it was more than likely bacterial as he had the white blotches as well as being inflamed.
He's had it 6 times now in as many months, in the past is always lasted about 7 days. This time, no antibiotics, just tumeric and milk. Cleared it in 3 days.
I've read tumeric has 'healing' properties. It's worth a shot in my fak though.

touched by nature

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Usually just clean with water and cover it. Occasionally i have used superglue.

Not a fan of creams as im convinced the tubes will pop (had a couple do that)

And funnily enough its something ive been looking into recently (following using a burts bees salve) and will be making my own with tea tree oil and beeswax and perhaps a few other things.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I.m coming to this thread late. Is Svalon a brand name? I have a generic topical antibiotic ointment; the active ingrediets are:
-Bacitracin zinc 500 units
-Neomycin 3.5 mg
-Polymyxin B sulphate 10,000 units

Mine is a generic but it comes in several brand names.

I'd say +1 for the tetnus shots but as someone said, they can be overdone. When I was a kid growing upo they alwasy just went ahead and gave you a fresh one everytime you came in with a puncture wound or a deep cut. Now-a-days thet ask first, "When did you have your last Tetnus shot?" As said they should last for 5-10 years. I've kept mine up to date ever since my first military series.

As to getting one after a dog bite, I'd never run into that. Here they always start a rabies series after any animal bite (mammal bite anyway) unless the animal in question has a current vaccination record.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to volunteer with a conservation organization and they used to say you have to make sure your tetanus was up to date. I'd had the first one as a kid then a booster. It was a few years since my last one so I went to get it updated. The doctor didn't give it to me. He said the latest advice was that once you'd had a booster or follow up then the protection would be enough. I told him I was into the outdoors and did conservation work but he said that it was not necessary. I hope he's right!!

I used to do conservation, whitewater kayaking and helped my Dad with fencing/ hedge work at his place. All things that often resulted in many lacerations, cuts, grazes or bashed knuckles/fingers/hands. I just washed my hands and got on with it. I never used plasters neither preferring to let the air dry it out. I then got into walks and challenge walks so got used to plasters again due to many blisters. Those blisters that blow up like frogs throats when they call out!! Well, until they burst suddenly so loud I could actually hear it!!

I now have many types of dressings, plasters, etc. I still only use plasters if it's bleeding but mainly just to keep blood off my clothes.

Ointments? Thought they were only good for grazed knees. I have germelene which I use on bites due to anaesthetic which savlon doesn't have, other than that they're so similar. I have witch hazel tube but I'm not sure if that's OK on cuts, grazes or other open skin?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1304951594ph009.jpg

Same for me, I get little tubes from Asda in the travel cosmetics section

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to volunteer with a conservation organization and they used to say you have to make sure your tetanus was up to date. I'd had the first one as a kid then a booster. It was a few years since my last one so I went to get it updated. The doctor didn't give it to me. He said the latest advice was that once you'd had a booster or follow up then the protection would be enough. I told him I was into the outdoors and did conservation work but he said that it was not necessary. I hope he's right!!.....

Just looked up the CDC's reccomendations. Here it is: www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/tetanus/default.htm Or here's just the relevant bit:

"[h=2]About Tetanus[/h]Tetanus is different from other vaccine-preventable diseases because it does not spread from person to person. The bacteria are usually found in soil, dust and manure and enter the body through breaks in the skin - usually cuts or puncture wounds caused by contaminated objects.
Today, tetanus is uncommon in the United States, with an average of 29 reported cases per year from 1996 through 2009. Nearly all cases of tetanus are among people who have never received a tetanus vaccine, or adults who don't stay up to date on their 10-year booster shots"

Apparently it's still every ten years. I know that's still the military schedule. My civilian Dr likes to keep it at every five years.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just looked up the CDC's reccomendations. Here it is: www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/tetanus/default.htm Or here's just the relevant bit:

"About Tetanus

Tetanus is different from other vaccine-preventable diseases because it does not spread from person to person. The bacteria are usually found in soil, dust and manure and enter the body through breaks in the skin - usually cuts or puncture wounds caused by contaminated objects.
Today, tetanus is uncommon in the United States, with an average of 29 reported cases per year from 1996 through 2009. Nearly all cases of tetanus are among people who have never received a tetanus vaccine, or adults who don't stay up to date on their 10-year booster shots"

Apparently it's still every ten years. I know that's still the military schedule. My civilian Dr likes to keep it at every five years.

I was told that i didn't need any more tetanus shots as i'd had so many previously that i was covered for life.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was told that i didn't need any more tetanus shots as i'd had so many previously that i was covered for life.

Who knows? Maybe it's true. I just posted what the CDC reccomends and commented that my own Dr likes them a biy more often. I really have no way of knowing which is valid. But give that I get loads of cuts when out and about (even stepping on nails around civilization) I think I'll follow the schedule.

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
couple of things, savlon apparently gets tested on animals, so i heard. And iodine tincture is great to have in my opinion. I splash a bit on any open cuts if I'm worried about contamination, and am glad to have it as its apparently one of the most essential things to have if a nuclear fallout situation arises. if you flood your thyroid glands with iodine you are much less likely to suffer from radiation poisoning.
I'm about to get hold of some colloidal silver, apparently its a universally effective, powerful anti-microbial. Can be taken orally, or sprayed on, the only risk is using it too much too often and turning blue/killing off all the good bacilli in the digestive system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE