What anticeptic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Dave, are you allergic to a component of Germolene?, also not a sensible thing to use for sunburn of the face. Perhaps the sunburn took the skin off your face? You could have used Goose fat or butter or some other old wives/quacks tale of treatment to the same effect...skin coming off etc.

Or be like me and just consume enough anti-oxidants not to need sunburn at all. But I think we've talked about that in a thread ages ago already.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Or be like me and just consume enough anti-oxidants not to need sunburn at all. But I think we've talked about that in a thread ages ago already.

Anti-oxidants prevent skin peel from sunburn? Makes you burn proof lol Yea, right lol, I'll stick to factor 30+ and sensible clothing when in Gran Canaria :)

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi gang...my go-to antiseptic is not Exotic it's just plain betadine/ providine...i have it in liquid ,ointment and small wipes forms...used since my Army Infantry days to now...i carry it in my PSK, my Boo-Boo kit and larger aid bag...i've never had a problem with getting an infection after using it as an topical antiseptic...this was/is the go-to antiseptic issued by the U.S. Army and was issued in many survival kits and vehicle first aid kits...can you folks in the U.K. get it at the chemist ? vince g. 11B INF...

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
1304951594ph009.jpg

Works for me. I guess hand sanitiser would also work, stings though!

Plus one on savlon, excellent stuff, although I also take a tube of Brulidine as it it is Antiseptic & Antibacterial with really works on infections. Also it's pretty cheap :)
brulidine-cream-antiseptic-.jpg

epa611

Dec 8, 2012
Johnstone
My wife was a district nurse for 20+ years and does not allow Germoline/Savalon in the house - she says they cause more problems than the original wound.

Clean with water (add some salt to it if available just keep it clean - a breathable dressing if wound is not suckable :p

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Niels,
Do you get your Tetanus vaccinations at school over there?
Always a good idea for us oldies who grub about outside to make sure it's up to date.
As well as bought antiseptics you can make up stuff in the field from seaweeds, pine needles, honey and sphagnum moss are some of the things you can use to help prevent wounds getting infected.
Cheers
Colin.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hi Niels,
Do you get your Tetanus vaccinations at school over there?
Always a good idea for us oldies who grub about outside to make sure it's up to date.
As well as bought antiseptics you can make up stuff in the field from seaweeds, pine needles, honey and sphagnum moss are some of the things you can use to help prevent wounds getting infected.
Cheers
Colin.

We don't actually. I recall about a year ago, my dog started to shock in his chest every 5 minutes, only to suddenly collapse in the back yard. We thought he was choking, (He was having an epileptical seizure) so my mum put her hand in his mouth, and he bit her finger, REALLY hard. (This was the first and last time he ever had something like that, vet said most likely from fast growth:confused:) So anyways, she had to drive to the hospital to get a tetanus shot.

Which makes me wonder, if you get bit by a dog and you put on whatever anticeptic very quickly, would you still need a tetanus shot?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They advise that if you're around soil, rusty metal, dirt etc you should have one, lasts about 10 years once done.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lads and lasses :nono:, for the cost of a tube of Germolene/Savlon/alcohol gel/soap and water, put all the seaweed, peeing on cuts et al on the back boiler so to speak for crying out loud. There really is no need to faff about peeing on yourself etc or knocking up some Old Mother Hubbard's Herbal stuff...keep all this 'ye olde knowledge' for the end of world days etc when you can't buy stuff that actually works.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry Uncle Rik in your End Of The World Farm ;) Hang on is that British Red? Well they do modern gas stoves you know :lmao:

Was just saying as sometimes I realise I forgot the first aid kit.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Glad you listened :)

Got modern gas stoves (camping and house), wood burner (camping and house) but give me a break, I'm retired from nursing through illness, a job I went into quite late in life and really loved, much more than the other career choices I made and I have only the safety of the poppet's here at heart when I see them walking down a sticky path to infection and worse; think of me as a nice uncle and not the naughty one who liked to bounce you on his knee;)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And I'm sure it's why Niels and I felt we could have fun with you. You do give good advice and unlike my last job here with you around I'm not considered the stove guru everyone goes to which is nice.
Before I talked about the old stuff I did ask about tetanus as I'm suprised no-one had brought it up as a preventative. Your views on Tetanus jabs?
Cheers
GB.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My experience of Tetanus jabs is that is very easy to have too many. Growing up on a horse stud, I received a jab every time I got a deep puncture wound. The last one produced a rugby-ball-sized swelling at the injection site and a note on medical records that I was never again to be given an anti-tetanus shot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE