Very Random Question - Sitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I can't recall ever having sat like that in my life. I think it's a gender thing.
However, curiosity got the better of me, so I gave it a go. I doubt if I'll do it again.
Feet to the right OK, feel to left seemed odd. I'm right handed, left dominant eyed.
I'm looking forward to reading the conclusions your research leads you to.

Hmmm - Gender thing?!? Well I'm not taking offence but I guess we do live in very strange times now.

Firstly - thank you for participating and feeding back - 82 and messing around on the floor for questions off the internet ?! - You Star!!

No conclusions yet at this point - it think over long term if we 'favour' a seating position and there is no doubt each western generation is sitting more than the previous and this in itself is not healthy and will from unbalanced isometric static lengthen certain muscles and shorten others. Even in a bolt upright straight up military sitting position that would be the same , if we add in some twisted torqued seating over time I think we can mess up our natural body alignment.

As mentioned I had to rehab this and change my behaviour so I now try to as much as possible sit consciously in a very neutral position or sit on the floor on a 'L' position.

I try to sit and get up from the floor with legs to either side and the fact one is far easier too achieve than other tells me there is something off and unbalanced.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I am just weird liked both but couldn’t get up easily. As I kid I shot air rifles on both shoulders but felt more comfortable with my left although right handed. Played football right footed. Skateboarded right foot front at first until forced myself to do the other way.

Confused you all because I am

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am just weird liked both but couldn’t get up easily. As I kid I shot air rifles on both shoulders but felt more comfortable with my left although right handed. Played football right footed. Skateboarded right foot front at first until forced myself to do the other way.

Confused you all because I am

Thanks for trying and feeding back - I'm not so convinced the being left or right eye dominant is an indicator.

Being right or left handed may have more importance and without being to graphic I imagine ( not a test I want hands on experience of..) if a gentleman in the nether region department " rest's " to the left or right ( as a sartorial comment maybe enquired ) then that is opposite to ones dominant hand.

Ie if you are right handed - I would imagine a gentlemen would more likely sit for comfort naturally with feet , legs and crotch all aligned in a more comfortable way?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Right handed, generally feet to the right, goofy footed on a skateboard, shoot a gun right handed but a bow and catapult like a left hander.

Make what you will of that.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
It might be interesting to try and retrain yourself to sit both ways and see what happened to your back and core muscles once there was no difference in preference or effort.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It might be interesting to try and retrain yourself to sit both ways and see what happened to your back and core muscles once there was no difference in preference or effort.

Which is what I have been trying to do . Very difficult to sit unsupported still however.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE