Very Random Question - Sitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A very very random question - apologies.

1712946654516.png

If you are of the age where you occasionally sit like this in a chair , or sit on the floor in a similar way ( legs tucked in but facing to the left or right )

So the question is - if you do sit like this - do you favour sitting with legs (feet) ending up to the left of your body or to the right ??
( So above Ricky is sitting with his feet to the right side of his body )

If you can say if you sit with feet to the left or to the right and then if you are Left or Right Handed.
( extra question - do you find it easy or difficult to sit the other way? sitting on the ground )

I did say it was random.

Last edited:

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Feet to the right for me. I can do the other way but it feels all different types of wrong

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And I answered first so it's now my turn! Why do you ask?

I was attempting to prove a hypothesis ( or maybe give a better indicator ) rather than lead people to give me the answer that they maybe are lead too.

"Feet to the right for me. I can do the other way but it feels all different types of wrong"

You say it feels wrong - can you think of any reason it should , may feel wrong? I mean , I imagine you use your legs and core equally and both are unilaterally loaded. So why would it feel 'wrong'

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
It's like when you interlace your fingers to pray. I normally have my left thumb on top and it feels odd to do it the other way. I can't really think of a way to explain it but my ASD probably doesn't help with that

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's like when you interlace your fingers to pray. I normally have my left thumb on top and it feels odd to do it the other way. I can't really think of a way to explain it but my ASD probably doesn't help with that

Thank you .

Can you sit on the floor with your feet to the left and remain upright without support easily??

< Go on - treat yourself - go for it :) >

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Right, I had three tries on each side. Feet to the right was comfortable and easy to balance, feet to the left was less comfortable and I had to balance more actively and less instinctively

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Right, I had three tries on each side. Feet to the right was comfortable and easy to balance, feet to the left was less comfortable and I had to balance more actively and less instinctively
Thank you and same.

I can only conclude the Quad Lumbar muscle ( Top of the hip to bottom of the lowest ribs ) become tight on one side meaning it becomes more difficult.

Only question is really why we start sitting with a preference to one side rather than another.

I guess it maybe a bit like what side we sleep - I sleep on my left , sleeping on my right feels ' off'

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
It's weird isn't it? Bodies are very peculiar things. For me it was because we had a sofa and I would usually sit at one end rather than the other. Feet to the right meant that I could lean on the arm

Sent from underground

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's weird isn't it? Bodies are very peculiar things. For me it was because we had a sofa and I would usually sit at one end rather than the other. Feet to the right meant that I could lean on the arm

Sent from underground

Also same but why? why choose one end over the other - I've had to do some work to rehab the QI muscle for muscle for myself.

The other little thing to try - sitting with one leg crossed under the knee of the other - I can sit with left leg crossed under the crook of my right knee without issue. But if I try it the other way around - Oh my!!! Lots of interesting feelings!!!

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I am ok with that and crossing one leg over the other too

Sent from underground

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Most of us mix right and left dominance. I suspect that initial left or right handedness in an infant is random or learned very early. LH and RH are equal among my nine grand children. One uses both hands without bias as yet.
These days we are far more permissive of left handedness and designers build in ambidextrous features. ( Remember Filofaxes that only worked for right handers.). I suspect that we will approach 50/50 eventually.

My first job was in the Forestry Commission where we were instructed to get used to working either way. Obviously it was essential for axe and sickle anyway and easy enough with fencing tools. Winches and tractors tended to be built right handed but were manageable. The hard one was in the nursery. I’ve no idea why I was told to use a spade and a rake left handed as well as my natural right handed but I did eventually get to the point where both were simple. Interestingly I’ve just tried LH spade and it’s more difficult than RH again.

Normally available scissors are of course a nightmare if you are LH.

What about whittling LH for an RH and vice-versa.

Sorry OP, I have never sat that way in all my windy puff.

It might further the experiment if folk checked out their dominant eye. I wonder how much that affects things?

With both eyes open line up a finger at arms length with a distant object. Now close one eye at a time and check which eye is actually aligned. This is probably your dominant eye.

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Also same but why? why choose one end over the other - I've had to do some work to rehab the QI muscle for muscle for myself.

The other little thing to try - sitting with one leg crossed under the knee of the other - I can sit with left leg crossed under the crook of my right knee without issue. But if I try it the other way around - Oh my!!! Lots of interesting feelings!!!
I sit cross legged all the time. Currently in an office chair at a desk cross legged :O_O: but if I sit on a sofa or the floor I'm the same. It always left leg tucked in closest and right leg in front. If I try the other way round it's OK(but not quite right) but I sort of feel I'm more tilted to the left so not quite as ballanced. I'm right handed. I suppose the body just adjusts to our "normal" and it then feels sort of wrong doing stuff the other way round going against the adjustment.

Edit to clarify cross legged as in sort of like the lotus position but feet under knees rather than on top.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I can't recall ever having sat like that in my life. I think it's a gender thing.
However, curiosity got the better of me, so I gave it a go. I doubt if I'll do it again.
Feet to the right OK, feel to left seemed odd. I'm right handed, left dominant eyed.
I'm looking forward to reading the conclusions your research leads you to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE