Amazon Prime - Have you quit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm just debating with myself on cancelling my amazon prime, I've had it for a long time, use the next day delivery a lot and prime tv, but it's losing it's lustre, adverts in prime tv and do I rely need to be buying stuff with an expectation of next day...

It got me wondering if any of you have asked yourselves the same question, stay or leave? This isn't intended as a rant on Amazon thread, so much as a, how many people feel the same way thread, or not...

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I'm just debating with myself on cancelling my amazon prime, I've had it for a long time, use the next day delivery a lot and prime tv, but it's losing it's lustre, adverts in prime tv and do I rely need to be buying stuff with an expectation of next day...

It got me wondering if any of you have asked yourselves the same question, stay or leave? This isn't intended as a rant on Amazon thread, so much as a, how many people feel the same way thread, or not...
Leave definitely. I boycotted them because they are a globalist company seeking a monopoly on everything. I would rather pay more and wait longer and support a small business that really cares about its products and customers. x

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I've been going through the same quandary.

Having next or same-day delivery is very handy, but I think that's the last hook that's holding me.

I resent having adverts on a service I'm already paying for, I resent giving money to Jeff 'penisrocket' Bezos, and their prices used to beat everyone else's, but now they're just as expensive (often more) than other online and bricks & mortar retailers (who I'd much rather support).

But, it's still an idle musing for now as I haven't done anything about it.

@Tony - if you haven't already, 'Keepa' is a really useful extension for Chrome/Brave etc which let's you see the historical pricing of items on Amazon. You can see if something ought to be cheaper or set an alert for when it drops below a certain price.

Reactions: Tony

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We only take out Prime when we need it. I'm currently using a free month offer as I needed something next day.

Worth cancelling and taking it out only when needed or you want to watch something.

Reactions: Robbi

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Leave definitely. I boycotted them because they are a globalist company seeking a monopoly on everything. I would rather pay more and wait longer and support a small business that really cares about its products and customers. x
You do know that a lot of small businesses sell on amazon as the best option to reach a wider range of customers. Without it there could be many small businesses unable to continue. It's not as simple as big company bad unfortunately. If it was you'd probably not be able to buy a lot of things from bananas in the supermarkets to cars and bicycles.

Of course you're probably right, better buy from temu or ebay instead. Not aimed at you that but I've read posters online talk about evil amazon who regularly talk about trying out temu sold items or ebay deals.

My advice is look to what you need. In our case we often get last minute invites for our son to say a birthday party. Often unable to get to a physical shop in time to get something, even if said shop actually has something suitable. Not guaranteed the days with the collapse of the high Street in some places. So we use next day on prime enough for it to make sense. We also watch prime at times, although mostly Netflix these days.

There's another point to consider. Climate! Amazon delivers packages efficiently but if everyone went to their nearest town instead there's potentially a large number of extra car journeys to buy what could be delivered. Similarly to supermarket shopping. Home delivery uses less fuel and lower carbon emissions overall. No idea how much the difference is though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We have to travel quite a way to get to any shops, so I treat Amazon as my storeroom. Very often a purchase really is needed the next day or, at least, within a couple of days. It's cheaper than me travelling to a town. All my music is played on Prime; I could spend that much a month just on buying music. The TV is reasonable quality, plenty of options, though that is the part I use the least. Compare to other services, I think it's reasonable value.

Reactions: FerlasDave

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I took out prime by accident once (I am sure it is designed to trick you) Cancelled immediately and now I just use their free offers etc as much as possible.

It is quite amazing how often they offer you free prime for a month or a week. Just accept such offers then immediately go to your account and cancel it so it does not auto renew when the offer runs out.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
It’s more expensive for a lot of Prime items, the addition of ads was the last straw.

They also tried to rob me of £1300 worth of phone by claiming I didn’t return it, even though two days before they had confirmed it was received. Thankfully I kept proof of postage otherwise I’d have been out of a big wedge. Their previously good customer service is now dreadful.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I try to do both, support businesses and use Prime. Recent circumstances (looking after an ill wife and spending most days in, or driving to and from hospital) Amazon has been used a great deal. I also like the ease of returns. I generally find it a good service, I think, quoting Dale above, it doesn’t bother me they’re a globalist company seeking monopoly. They got that way by providing an excellent service, nobody is being fooled or coerced, its just easy.

Thing that annoys most is paying for stuff on Prime Video even after being subbed up.

I have left out an entire chapter here involving politics, people double ordering for comparisons, people getting a tube of toothpaste or singular item delivered, use of diesel powered vehicles, employee treatment etc.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Got rid of prime as every time I wanted to watch something there was always a rental charge,
Got rid of Netflix as it was all the same stuff,
Disney is rubbish although the star channel wasn't too bad,
Paramount was good but like all the others their new to section was mostly old stuff.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Amazon prime for Film/Entertainment quality - tends to be more obscure B roll actors or films you haven't ( and maybe shouldn't ) heard of.
That being said - I quite enjoy the plethora or straight-to-garage-forecourt-DVD-bargain- bucket type pulp that is there. Occasionally find a gem.

For ordering stuff and just logistical fulfilment - its pretty hard to knock apart from being too easy to order next-day-tat. Need a cooling off period from impulse purchase and Alexa or Siri to talk me down from hitting the ' buy now ' button.

I do think supporting local shops is important and maybe the Pandemic changed the way we shop forever. We have films and music on demand now ( any one remember when DVDs were posted by mail to you from the original Netflix days?? ) so why not on demand ordering .

Speed it up I say , Have something implanted in to me that can place orders for tat on a subconscious level - no higher functioning required - connect it to amazons new aerial delivery system and lock me away to await the buzz of an airborne delivery to my back garden.
Everyday will be like a surprise but disappointing birthday.

Send in the drones..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have had Prime a few times. I took out a free trial just before Christmas to get something shipped quick that I could not find anywhere else, then kept it for a couple more months in order to watch the second Jack Reacher series. When that finished, I cancelled.

If I can find what I want anywhere at all other than Amazon, even if it cost a bit more, I try to buy from the alternatives, but as has been said, there are a lot of things that just are not available elsewhere now. Maybe just because the small businesses that carry them sell only on Amazon. I was disappointed to pay a premium for something off OneBuy, more than the advertised Amazon prince, and when it arrived it arrived in an Amazon box.

My take on the market place thing is that its a bit of an illusion in that Amazon has done a lot to put truely independent businesses out of business. That it then allows traders to use its platform makes it harder for the remaining independents while making Amazon itself unreliable. When it was all Amazon's own stuff being sold there was a lot fewer fakes and dodgy Chinese junk drop shipped from China.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
We got it initially for the packages, next day is pretty handy when we need something quickly. The nearest shops are a drive away and even then there’s not much other than supermarkets.

The video is just a bonus for us, although I do subscribe to extra things sometimes depending what’s available.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
You do know that a lot of small businesses sell on amazon as the best option to reach a wider range of customers. Without it there could be many small businesses unable to continue. It's not as simple as big company bad unfortunately. If it was you'd probably not be able to buy a lot of things from bananas in the supermarkets to cars and bicycles.

Of course you're probably right, better buy from temu or ebay instead. Not aimed at you that but I've read posters online talk about evil amazon who regularly talk about trying out temu sold items or ebay deals.

My advice is look to what you need. In our case we often get last minute invites for our son to say a birthday party. Often unable to get to a physical shop in time to get something, even if said shop actually has something suitable. Not guaranteed the days with the collapse of the high Street in some places. So we use next day on prime enough for it to make sense. We also watch prime at times, although mostly Netflix these days.

There's another point to consider. Climate! Amazon delivers packages efficiently but if everyone went to their nearest town instead there's potentially a large number of extra car journeys to buy what could be delivered. Similarly to supermarket shopping. Home delivery uses less fuel and lower carbon emissions overall. No idea how much the difference is though.
whhooooops I have broken my own rule by commenting on controversial issues on the bushcraft site. Ignore me, I retract everything I've said.:)
hope you well xx

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Sorry, as soon as I hear amazon mentioned it gets my back up.
If we as individuals don't pay our taxes we get fines, or worse.
The huge multinational doesn't?

Not OK.

With the amount of money it has?

I stopped using that company about 15 years ago.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't use amazon at all, never have, and never will.
If i cant buy localy, i look for a bricks and mortar shop that I can phone up and order from.
I get a nice chat, and build a relationship with the company on a personal level, and instant advice if I have any questions.
My life does not need next day delivery, nothing is that urgent that it can't wait a day or two.
If I need presents, I think ahead, and don't leave it untill last moment so there is no panic about not having a gift.
My money doesn't get wasted on tat that I realy don't need, and I can then afford to buy quality items that last.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE