To Chair or Not To Chair ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chairs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I don't carry a chair, but I replaced the stiffener in my rucksack with a trifold of closed cell foam. It's only been used a couple of times, it's mainly there for first aid purposes if I need to protect someone from the cold ground. In general it's just too much hassle to get it out and back in again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John!!!

thats a throne!!!!!

All hail King John,..hahah (was he the crazy one?)
Kneel when you say that - serf!
King John was not mad - he was the one who lost his crown jewels( :yikes:) in the wash - I never use cheap laundry services myself.....

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
<snip> i,m firmly in the NO CHAIR camp mainly because i feel if , once i,ve put the pack on and set off , a return to the truck for a chair or box of stuff would be "cheating" <snip>

My thoughts exactly. When I'm at a meet I prefer to get everything in one go. If it can't be carried in one go then it's cheating somehow. Make do or do without.

This last weekend I did about four trips to the car though, as I had the boys with me! :):)

Rat

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Didn't you have two chairs John? :lmao:
True
DSCF4993.jpg

or did you mean the third ... the multi purpose chair/table/firewood pile that went to fulfill its third job when I sat on it too hard?
DSCF4998.jpg

:D

Last edited:
It would depend if I was near the car or not and how long I was out for. If its for meets and bushmoots then yes I do take one, but if it was a bit of a walk I would either make do with a stump/hammock/ground (on a mat) or build a chair when I got there if I was staying for a while.
I don't see it as cheating personally.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i do two of those
chair and pipe on meets as its about comfort specially over several days
just pipe when i walk to the permission but thats cause its a pointless exercise carrying a chair for one night i feel

What about the singing?....

maybe a spot of poetry? made up on the spot?......

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
same as quite a few others, for meets i take a chair (and still manage to do just one trip to cliv's car, it's only a folding chair after all, it's not like i'm trying to carry a sofa into the woods!). for less social outings i don't bother with the chair, instead i take a little (12"ish square) thermarest type thing that i got from lidl for a pound on a whim years ago, it also makes a great pillow and/or fan to encourage a struggling fire

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Helloooo everyone,...

not sure if this has been asked over and over,

looking at some pictures of meets i seem to see more and more chairs,,..

i just wondered how many of us carry a chair into the woods for a meet or prefer to feel a little "closer" to the place by either making or finding something that keeps you comfy,...

i,m firmly in the NO CHAIR camp mainly because i feel if , once i,ve put the pack on and set off , a return to the truck for a chair or box of stuff would be "cheating",

but that may be just personal to me as i like to live out of one bag and be able to walk a good few miles to my spot if needed.

i,m going to try and apply a poll too so we can see at a glance where the balance is.

cheers

Stu,..

I don't have a car at the moment, so everything I take with me has to fit in my pack, which puts me in the NO CHAIR camp.

However, on one of my trawls through the interweb, I stumbled upon this...

Ultralight Monarch Butterfly Chair by Alite
monarch_black_front_1.jpg

http://www.alitedesigns.com/alite-shop/monarch-chair.html

... which packs up small(ish - due to pole length) and weighs all of 18 ounces.

They retail for around forty dollars in the states (and eighty to ninety quid here on the sites of the few retailers that stock them) but as I am a skinflint, one of several bushy related projects I'm thinking about at the moment, is to make something like this, using some old, spare walking poles and a canvas seat cover I have knocking around gathering dust.

If this project ever gets beyond the 'planning' stage, I'll post a picture or two of my efforts.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Depends really on if i'm camping out the car or carrying my own stuff on foot.

With the car then i'll throw in one of the beach/fishing chairs, in summer i use a Kelsyus chair that folds into a rucksack type thing and comes with a sun shade.

kelsyus_Backpack_Chair_UV_Canopy.jpg

Kelsyus-mesh-backpack-beach-chairs-.jpg

If i'm hiking then in winter i'll take a inflatable cusion, in summer i don't really bother.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thats awesome i gotta say. nae much use here in scotland though :D it would then be a chair with a sail....

Depends really on if i'm camping out the car or carrying my own stuff on foot.

With the car then i'll throw in one of the beach/fishing chairs, in summer i use a Kelsyus chair that folds into a rucksack type thing and comes with a sun shade.

kelsyus_Backpack_Chair_UV_Canopy.jpg

Kelsyus-mesh-backpack-beach-chairs-.jpg

If i'm hiking then in winter i'll take a inflatable cusion, in summer i don't really bother.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE