To Chair or Not To Chair ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chairs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Helloooo everyone,...

not sure if this has been asked over and over,

looking at some pictures of meets i seem to see more and more chairs,,..

i just wondered how many of us carry a chair into the woods for a meet or prefer to feel a little "closer" to the place by either making or finding something that keeps you comfy,...

i,m firmly in the NO CHAIR camp mainly because i feel if , once i,ve put the pack on and set off , a return to the truck for a chair or box of stuff would be "cheating",

but that may be just personal to me as i like to live out of one bag and be able to walk a good few miles to my spot if needed.

i,m going to try and apply a poll too so we can see at a glance where the balance is.

cheers

Stu,..

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I dont take one in with me, usually find a log to sit on or a tree to prop myself on, however i do get jealous of people sitting comfortably around the fine in winter meets.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
at meets i always take a chair as it's only a short walk to the car and alot of the time is spent sat round chatting. on my own i use just the one bag and tend to sit on the floor. mostly cos i hike a good bit before i set up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You missed the, 'it depends', option on the poll.
If I've to carry it any distance, forget it. I'll just sit on a bit of waterproof fabric......you can get yards of cheap stuff meant to cover garden furniture for £1.
If it's a settled weekender somewhere with loads of company and the blethering around the bushcraft tv, I'll take a chair.
Actually, for the Moot, I headed to Tesco and just bought one to use there. I did eye up Cobwebs sticks and hessian sack one with some envy though, but the woods wouldn't survive us all taking enough for them if we did it every time we were out. Cobweb takes hers from home and reuses :) but that's just a different chair really I suppose. I can make the wee three legged stools, I can make the four logs hammered in and cross sparred, I can make the hammock chair, but it's the same necessity to cut down to make them.

So, it depends where and when and how long, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
You missed the, 'it depends', option on the poll.
If I've to carry it any distance, forget it. I'll just sit on a bit of waterproof fabric......you can get yards of cheap stuff meant to cover garden furniture for £1.
If it's a settled weekender somewhere with loads of company and the blethering around the bushcraft tv, I'll take a chair.
Actually, for the Moot, I headed to Tesco and just bought one to use there. I did eye up Cobwebs sticks and hessian sack one with some envy though, but the woods wouldn't survive us all taking enough for them if we did it every time we were out. Cobweb takes hers from home and reuses :) but that's just a different chair really I suppose. I can make the wee three legged stools, I can make the four logs hammered in and cross sparred, I can make the hammock chair, but it's the same necessity to cut down to make them.

So, it depends where and when and how long, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

feel free to add the 3rd option Mary,...

i never really thought about it,......but, even if i,m next to the car, and staying the week,.....a chair is still a no no for me.

:):You_Rock_

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I always take a folding chair with me and usually get loads of grief for it, about how unmanly it is to be out in the woods with a nice chair, but yet every time I get up and go for a wander some cheeky git nicks my seat and wishes theyd bought one too. I can rough it but prefer to be comfortable and my joints dont complain as much. :eek:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i bought a swedish ergolife fold up chair and got all excited. but 2 years of operations on me erse means iv never been able tae try it out yet! :lmao: but in the past iv always hated having tae squat or find a log or rock tae sit on so the wee ergolife seems decent enough

Hamish

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
feel free to add the 3rd option Mary,...

i never really thought about it,......but, even if i,m next to the car, and staying the week,.....a chair is still a no no for me.

:):You_Rock_

Bet you're one of those lean, lang dreeps who can sit on his hunkers for hours :D
I'm a little, very round, lady these days :eek: and sitting like that's a no-no. I'd rather stand or find a bit to lie down :D

cheers,
M

Lean, lang, dreep.......tall, slender, kind of drapes himself comfortable on anything

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My chair is similar to this:
Shakespeare%20-%20Folding%20Stool.jpg

Folds down very small and flat and keeps you off the wet floor if a log/stump can't be found.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
My chair is similar to this:
Shakespeare - Folding Stool.jpg

Folds down very small and flat and keeps you off the wet floor if a log/stump can't be found.

Mine is the National Trust/Boots version which works well on canoe trips as it really does pack to a small size.
Got two from ebay £4.99 and £5.50 last year - there are often several to choose from - as new.
Alan

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
to chair defo

but to carry or not to carry.... im not to carry so its a catch 22

like the look of that one ^^ looks a bit flimsy for my bulk though ;)

greensurfingbear

Depends for me to. No reason to be uncomfortable if its a short walk from the car.

Given the amount of sitting around and chatting that occurs at the meets its nice to have one... And like SimonD said when you wander off you can guarantee someone will be keeping it warm for you.:D

I'd like to make one out of canvas that hangs on a tripod, that I can pack away into an ruck sack.

Sent via mind bullets, beware the ricochet.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not that I really do meets but if I'm base camping for a few days then I'll probably take one, I sometimes just use my food box though on canoe trips.

For trips anywhere on foot I don't bother, I'll just take a section of mat to sit on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I cannot walk too far these days so multiple trips to the vehicle are within the ethos for me and I will often take a comfy chair, or use my food box BUT on the site I use most I can safely leave some kit in place and then I use my home made chair - even more bushy than sitting on a stump/thermarest/foodbox lounger IMHO.
DSCF5871.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I cannot walk too far these days so multiple trips to the vehicle are within the ethos for me and I will often take a comfy chair, or use my food box BUT on the site I use most I can safely leave some kit in place and then I use my home made chair - even more bushy than sitting on a stump/thermarest/foodbox lounger IMHO.
DSCF5871.jpg

John!!!

thats a throne!!!!!

All hail King John,..hahah (was he the crazy one?)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE