Tin cans as billy cans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Hi

Is there a reason that people don't talk about / use tin cans on a fire as billy cans

I often buy tinned tomato in 2 tins or 4 tin size and it strikes me that they would be quite useful as billy cans.

MB

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Not all cans are equal, depending on the structure and materials used this practice can be hazardous to health. Aren't tomato cans plastic-lined? Coffee cans are OK (I think?)

Zebra or Tatonka billies are top notch and typical retail value is below twenty notes, so why bother risking your health for anything less?

Hope I got the first bit correct!

Last edited:

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
When I first experienced the joy of cooking on a open fire,I only had the 1 billy can,so would use the empty tins from baked beans or other foods as a container,and still use them for candle holders/cups etc.But there was a issue with the metal contents of these tins(aluminium poisoning),but that was 40 years ago.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Heineken stopped Tinny at Minibull Designs from using their cans as cooking pots and kettles because there exists a genuine risk to health.

Heineken knew this because they were fully aware of the material and chemically applied liners which make their cans and were very concerned.

It really comes down to whether or not you value your health more than the cost of a non hazardous cooking pot or kettle!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
This answers my own question about a beer can I saw in Boothes a week or so ago. They were selling a large can inside a glass. It looked about 750ml or possibly bigger. I've been eying it up with a view that it might make a nice UL pot. I've been looking at caldera cone stoves with the keg pot. thought I could make one up using this can and a little calculation program someone on another forum wrote and will mail you if yo ask him (I think). It works out the size, shape and angles required to cut out of foil a caldera cone clone for specifica pot and can height options. Guess I will have to re-think now or just buy one.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Thanks for your answers, I already have a one litre,I was looking for a larger one as well. Looks like time to spend more money ;)

MB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE