Jerry Can BBQ - Deluxe Edition.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mesquite asked me what I was planning on doing with some Jerry cans in this thread https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.70299/page-386#post-2048304

As a sidenote I mentioned that I was going to turn another Jerry Can ( A modern manufactured one ) into a B-B-Q - this will be the thread dedicated to that project - happy to take some suggestions as the thread grows and hopefully as I go along I can document the process if anyone wants to do a similar project and learn from my mistakes.

So the idea is to turn a standard Jerry can into a multi service outdoor cooker with some additional whistle and bells added - I want to try and get as much of the various items used with it to be able to be carried in the can itself so it becomes a self contained cooking unit. This is turn can go on the back of my camper .

A little bit of imagination is going to be required to keep along with the photos.

You need to imagine the 1lb oven tins are sitting within the jerry can on the bottom of the tin - alot of time will need to be spent calculating working levels and how much fire cement is needed and in what areas.

So the initial step will be to cut the Jerry can just about the midline seal on one edge and to create a hinged flap that will open the can -

The back section will then act as a reflector or oven top.

Inside the the can the area to hold the charcoal will be 3 or 4 small oven loaf tins - these tins are not hard fixed but will be somewhat mobile and modular to allow one to move the tins around the bottom of the can to create space for tins or if need to have a max amount of tins to produce maximum heat. Having in smaller tins allows for some more graded heating and easy disposal of ashes.

They won't be loose but I need to work out a way for them to slot or clip into some predetermined grooves or holding points. Maybe even screwed down with a wing nut coming up through them from the back.

1696686959387.png

In the photo above there isn't enough space to run another tin in the same alignment but another tin would sit at 90°.

The tins allow them when not to be in use to be stacked and then space is created for the other ancillary items that need to go along with the BBQ to be left in the can itself.

So in the photo above all 4 Tins could be stacked in the empty space closest to the front opening section.

Standard BBQ set up - foldable BBQ section.

1696687229874.png

1696687337657.png

Oven set up - by removing several of the charcoal tins I can either use the surplus empty tin as a baking unit tin ( IE 1 tin filled with embers , 1 clean tin filled with bready/cakey goodness ) - I can obviously also use other tins.

1696687525433.png

1696687650659.png

I need to get a decent oven thermometer and drill and set it in near the handle unit so I can monitor the inside temp and consider some sort of basic venting mechanism to provide some element of control.

Rotisserie

These two units take D batteries and turn at a nice slow constant speed without issue. - Have Two units and room for two - but equally want options to just use the one. Because lets face it - Two is flash :)

1696688109634.png

1696689025742.png

1696689921065.png

But by making a few attachments for the rotisserie I can make it more usable for just ramming a holding attachment full of mixed veg and meat pieces rather than a whole joint or chicken. Or two...

1696688278440.png

1696688477654.png

So other 'wants' although more to see if I can do it rather than anything too serious is to make a vertical rotisserie - so if I take a long flexible hex bit drive and connect it to the rotisserie motor and then to a centralised fixed skewer I should be able to elephant leg type shish/kebab meat towers.

1696688794031.png

I have two sorts of grill charcoal "sandwiches" that can be set on their vertical axis to provide heat to a kebab type set up along its entire length.

1696690011875.png

I also need to make some utility wings for prepping food - these wings need to be able to also fit inside the can but then can slot into either side of the Jerry can to allow some usable real estate for plates and bowls away from the heat.

Some extendable 'L' bracket legs to go on all Four corners that can be retracted to a nice flush finish.

I clearly have plenty of work cut out for me with a Dremel and welder. :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds fun :)

Might be worth looking at high temperature insulation. Stuff meant for pizza ovens and the like. Means you don't have a red hot lump of metal radiating heat everywhere. You just get the heat where you want it.

Like this sort of stuff.

We have a kiln repair place not far from us, and I can get hold of old kiln lining bricks very cheaply from them. Great for forges, etc., and again using them makes it a lot more comfortable to work nearby.

M

Reactions: gra_farmer

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sounds fun :)

Might be worth looking at high temperature insulation. Stuff meant for pizza ovens and the like. Means you don't have a red hot lump of metal radiating heat everywhere. You just get the heat where you want it.

Like this sort of stuff.

We have a kiln repair place not far from us, and I can get hold of old kiln lining bricks very cheaply from them. Great for forges, etc., and again using them makes it a lot more comfortable to work nearby.

M

Yes - that was on the radar anyway - but thank you. Not my first rodeo with hot stuff :)

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE