The curse of the video camera - a rant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Couple of nice ones for you John, save you surfing, apologies if linked to before.

[video=youtube;Iq0rZn8HFmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ[/video]

[video=youtube;yZe4SmIH_U4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZe4SmIH_U4[/video]
Cheers for those - too long for me to watch at the moment ... but I will return to them soon.
Any good recipes in the second one?
I was particularly searching you choob for "how-to" bushy type video clips for a friends son when I was prompted to start my rant....

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Ah never mind you tube just watched Bear in Texas sling a rope across a canyon that he found tied to a rusty old trap and then started to slide himself down. Oh and he fashioned a grappling hook from the trap and stuck an old bone to secure the rope at the other end. I'm sure this is safe though after all he is a survival expert and the filming was very professionally done.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I think I'll stick to here for any survival advice, it's a lot more sensible and based on reality.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheers for those - too long for me to watch at the moment ... but I will return to them soon.
Any good recipes in the second one?
I was particularly searching you choob for "how-to" bushy type video clips for a friends son when I was prompted to start my rant....

Long pig goulash :)

I've watched the first one a couple of times, people talk about living the dream and really, this guy and his wife do.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Couple of nice ones for you John, save you surfing, apologies if linked to before.

[video=youtube;Iq0rZn8HFmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ[/video]

[video=youtube;yZe4SmIH_U4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZe4SmIH_U4[/video]

in the top video he appeared to kill that rabbit by tightening the snare and just strangling it by dangling it from snare which is a good example of useless videos offering poor advice, the proper way to kill a rabbit instantly is to hold it behind the ears with one hand and push the chin backwards with the other hand so neck is broken ensuring instant death.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
OK - to be fair there are a few good vids out there but most are lacking skills - Rant over :)

after just watching that video posted by rik-uk3 of a rabbit being killed by dangling it instead of killing it properly (see my other earlier post above) i feel your rant is justified.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Well, I disagree with some of your comments Jon. Just because someone puts up a vid to share their passion on a subject doesn't mean they are claiming to be award winning directors or event that they have any skills in front of the camera.
I for one am grateful of the many "real life" video's out there. They inspired me to get out there and do it for myself.
Video's, like movies can be subjective and what appeals to one man may not to another and at any rate, this is how the world is NOW. It's called progress apparently.

I could have a rant about the number of grown adults who use forums (not just this one either, and not leveled at you Jon) but lack the basic grammatical skills to construct a meaningful thread, but as these forums are not "English Grammar" forums it wouldn't be right to do so. It would be snobbery on my part if I did so.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well, I disagree with some of your comments Jon. Just because someone puts up a vid to share their passion on a subject doesn't mean they are claiming to be award winning directors or event that they have any skills in front of the camera.
I for one am grateful of the many "real life" video's out there. They inspired me to get out there and do it for myself.
Video's, like movies can be subjective and what appeals to one man may not to another and at any rate, this is how the world is NOW. It's called progress apparently.

I could have a rant about the number of grown adults who use forums (not just this one either, and not leveled at you Jon) but lack the basic grammatical skills to construct a meaningful thread, but as these forums are not "English Grammar" forums it wouldn't be right to do so. It would be snobbery on my part if I did so.
But those claiming to "teach skills" and get it wrong can also be dangerous :)
As to spelling and grammar - I too struggle there but I try to get it right and the content (if it is possible) accurate and safe:)
"I do not care what they say about me - as long as they spell my name right!"

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Isn't it snobbery on your part to mention it anyway ?.......:D............I could point out that you spelt John wrong too.but that would be snobbery on my part if I did so :rofl:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
after just watching that video posted by rik-uk3 of a rabbit being killed by dangling it instead of killing it properly (see my other earlier post above) i feel your rant is justified.

I thought he chocked it, end result is the same, a dead rabbit and it was quick. Lot of rabbits left in snares in the UK for days before they die etc. He's been out there thirty years so I presume he has some idea of what he'd doing. Did he skin the bear OK or was that wrong, how would you do it and he bashed a fish over the head is that OK :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I thought he chocked it, end result is the same, a dead rabbit and it was quick.

Joonsy was just stating that the dude didn't choose to kill the bunny humanely i.e. instantaneously. Guess he's killed so many that their sufference doesn't affect him anymore.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I thought he chocked it, end result is the same, a dead rabbit and it was quick. Lot of rabbits left in snares in the UK for days before they die etc. He's been out there thirty years so I presume he has some idea of what he'd doing. Did he skin the bear OK or was that wrong, how would you do it and he bashed a fish over the head is that OK :rolleyes:

Hi, set rabbit snares should be checked a minimum of once every day (preferrably twice), if rabbits are left for 'days' in snares that is gross negligence, correctly set snares can break a rabbits neck instantly but admittedly sometimes they can choke to death in snares in a few minutes, however all rabbits still alive when caught should be dispatched instantly by the method i described earlier which is known as 'chinning'', chinning (breaking its neck) is instantaneous death and very humane choking a rabbit to death is not and uneccesserily cruel and unprofessional, if he has been out there for thirty years as you say and still hasn't learned how to kill a rabbit correctly and humanely in all that time then that is incredulous.

pyrotech

Oct 1, 2012
Aylesbury
I thought he chocked it, end result is the same, a dead rabbit

Cannot agree with this sentiment in any shape or form... prolonging any animals death for any reason by any means including delay is basically barbaric or moronic.

In regards many of the videos on you tube.... ego and money (though very few actually make anything ) .

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've seen a study mentioned on BBC new that suggest that when you watch someone doing something the same things are going on the brain (but to a lesser extent) as if you were doing it. But I can't find the link.

There was an episode on Radiolab about this sort of thing, someone tells a story and within a group of listeners [to a lesser or greater extent] peoples brain waves appear as if they are acting out/ actually experiencing the events in the story. The folks with greater brain activity were apparently better at remembering the events in stories and being able to empathise and identify with the storyteller.

Absoulutley fasinatic stuff.

going even further off topic.....

They went on to test people who were totally brain dead and in a state [I think it's called] 'locked in' these were people who were not conscious could do nothing for themselves and had to rely totally on machinery to keep them alive. Alot of debate on wheather they WERE alive, but they hooked them to brain scanners and asked them to play tennis, parts of their brains were active as if they were running around hitting a ball with a racket. They were asked to stop - the activity stopped, they were asked to play again - the activity started again.

Anyway back to the topic [hopefully] ....... I'll have to pass on to someone else............

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Perhaps its the way they do it in that region, perhaps its the way he was taught, perhaps in his eyes he has killed humanely. As for snares, I've found them up by me with very very dead rabbits that have been there days or a fox has had them so snares are left unattended. When ice fishing he coshed the fish, Ray Mears tossed some on the ice to die. Things vary, methods vary.

I really enjoyed the programme, a man and wife doing it, living a life 99% of us here will only ever dream about instead of sitting on a moral high horse with a laptop telling others in indigent tones how it should be done.

Personally I've never used a snare as I think they are cruel if left unattended even for ten minutes and I'd snap any rabbit I'd not shot clean but thats me and I'm not knocking that rather charming chap for the way he handles bunnies (I don't kill any bunnies now as I don't much like the meat).

Brunch is calling, kippers poached eggs and toast, all this talk of food has made me hungry.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I Don't think the fact that because something is done differently elsewhere that it is automatically acceptable. Cruelty is cruelty whether or not it's part of someone's culture. Excision, lapidation & amputations are part of some countries methods & traditions, doesn't make them right.

Not much greenery in your brunch there Rik .....Don't forget ya 5 a day :D

Last edited:

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Hi, set rabbit snares should be checked a minimum of once every day (preferrably twice), if rabbits are left for 'days' in snares that is gross negligence, correctly set snares can break a rabbits neck instantly but admittedly sometimes they can choke to death in snares in a few minutes, however all rabbits still alive when caught should be dispatched instantly by the method i described earlier which is known as 'chinning'', chinning (breaking its neck) is instantaneous death and very humane choking a rabbit to death is not and uneccesserily cruel and unprofessional, if he has been out there for thirty years as you say and still hasn't learned how to kill a rabbit correctly and humanely in all that time then that is incredulous.

I got the impression from the video that he was a little kill crazy and a different kind of character altogether from Dick Proenneke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE