The curse of the video camera - a rant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Why oh why oh why did the video camera get developed?

If you look at such repositories as You Tube you will see thousands of people blessed with the money to buy a tiny little camera which they think turns them into some sort of film producer...
The fact that they have neither the skills to set up a good shot, the skill to perform in front of a camera or anything worth filming seems not to worry them.
If you look at the product of some of these great film producers in the catagory of "Bushcraft" you soon learn but one thing - the majority of those purporting to have skills to share lack even a basic understanding of the skills they are trying to demonstrate for the edification of the viewing public...
Luckily BcUK has not been overly afflicted by these heros - yet - but this horror seems to be spreading and several sites now host the product of these fevered dreamers.
I have just wasted a huge amount of time searching for some good clips to pass onto young folk just starting out in Bushcraft and I truely think that if they followed the advice in a lot of the videos available they would end their Bushcraft journey in A&E, not comfortably cozied up by a safe fire in the woods.

On the other hand I have found that those who realise that they are not potential BAFTA award winning producers/actors/cameramen and stick to stills and written info tend to give a better edited and produced tutorial or two.
Why do folk think that just because they can afford a camera they can use it?

OK - to be fair there are a few good vids out there - short, well filmed, informative and a pleasure to watch - but most are badly filmed, badly presented, lacking skills etc - and some plain dangerous.

If you own a camera that will record moving pictures use it to amuse friends and family and learn the basics first before unleashing your efforts on the world at large - please!

Rant over :)

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Agree 100% John...
Although there are probably 1 - 2% of Youtube (and here...) vids that are worth the effort of opening,
the other 98% are a complete waste of time, so I have just stopped even opening the vast majority.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I don't mind most videos, if its carp after the first 30 seconds I close them, but on the whole I have learnt more from youtube than I ever did at school

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Or they give it a go and why shouldn't they? Beauty of the Internet is that access is as free as the sea. As a matter of interest could we have a link to one of these "badly-made" videos that is also dangerous, if it is such a problem there should many to choose from.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Or they give it a go and why shouldn't they? Beauty of the Internet is that access is as free as the sea.
That is a two-edged sword boatman.
The reason they shouldn't is because they are just stamping their personality , ability , incompetence and stupidity on the world in a way that will live potentially forever.
There will come a time when the pile of ordure is so high and all-encompassing that there will be no chance at all of learning anything valuable from media like Utube and therefore what will be their legacy?
The Utube predisposition for carp could eventually lead I suppose to seekers after wisdom turning once more to books and to their elders.If only I could guarantee that would happen before the wise and the skilled are themselves a thing of the past.
I see it as our responsibility to pass on that which is valuable and worthy of admiration to the next several generations.In my own case the bushcrafty bits will be limited to my own son and a few Scouts.Thankfully there are people like John Fenna with a gift for communication in this field whose legacy will be greater than mine and , I suggest , than those Utube Attenboroughs.Thank God for that!
Cheers , Simon

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Very eloquently put, Plastic-ninja.... goodjob

I don't mind most videos, if its carp after the first 30 seconds I close them, but on the whole I have learnt more from youtube than I ever did at school

The problem with that is the amount of totally wasted time outweighs the productive viewing by a significant amount, making it a virtually valueless exercise... :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
John please forgive me for asking this, but do you realize that you are part of the problem? At least by neglect. In that I mean that you yourself (and other competent people such as yourself) don't put more good videos onto such media. I realize that this sort of thing (reviewing equipment, tutorials, instruction, etc.) is your profession and that in and of itself deters you from offering it gratis on such media, but nonetheless, it leaves said media open for incompetents to go unchallenged. When you put your objection on such forums as this, you're really only preaching to the choir.

Perhaps an answer would be some sort of rating system whereby a viewer could see endorsements from recognized experts before viewing?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I dont take youtube seriously some are good,some are fun to watch,some poop,some ridiculous,but i dont let it bother me or to be honest even look who's posted it most of the time.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well I think YouTube is a product of the digital generation. Personally I don't agree that is a bad thing that anyone with a camera can post up to it. It is as close as you can get to an unbiased view of the world. It's one of the last places where the viewer is its own sensor and 20, 30 or 100 years from now the quality will rise to the top and be held up as art.

I agree that there are dangerous practices on there, but that's where the comment box comes into its own. We are all adults who have fairly good communication skills, so we can express why what's being done is wrong without putting too many noses out of joint. If you saw someone at the moot getting it wrong, would you not offer to help? Well YouTube just makes more people available to more people.

There's a lot of social history on there, including the uprising to the Arab spring. Content you won't find on any news channel and personal commentary that will move the next generation and the one after that. But for every grain of wheat there's a large amount of chaff.

On the lighter side, you weren't watch Dave Granger in Grave Danger were you?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Some of it is amazing, some of it is OK the majority of it is pants.

For example, some of the kit reviews are amazing where some one gives you the sales blub then there opinion of the features and the pros and cons. But then you get the EDC preper ones that quickly descend into "when I am hanging of the side of a sky scraper trying to do X when the midden hits the windmill I'll be glad I am carrying my Glock 69bajillion in 3in auto cal to kill the zombie ewock ninjas".

Some of the instructional stuff is very well put together in some areas, one guy I saw had a great fly casting tutorial series including a over head shot slowed down showing you the correct casting style, other stuff is just bad poorly filmed and dangerous, I saw one vid where the guy seriously recommended carrying a can of deodorant in his fire kit to dry out tinder with a quick flame...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree John - although I tend to watch "technical" videos - how to guides - rather than reviews or op-ed pieces. I would be sorry to see the thing go for that reason - there is some solid information out there (on beekeeping for example) - its just not what most people watch. Bushcraft "how to" or the like I'll skip - there is just too much waffle and not enough content - particularly a mix of self introduction and apalling technique. Its strange - simple stuff is badly done, but look up "how to install a mark IV flange rebated widget into a a semi articulated doohicky" and you will likely find some pure gold with maybe 100 views.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I spend quite a bit of time watching Youtube, usually going off on a half hour mission after finding a review of something.

There are some good channels out there and they tend to be the ones that get updated regularly, here's a few I follow although not all bushy ..

Bushcraftbartons
hobbexp
NaturalBushcraft
TheBushcraftBoyz - come on Martin, pull your finger out lad :)
Waldhandwerk
Wintertrekker
Wawhiker
Shug

So we won't be seeing a Fennas Bushcraft channel then? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE